Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What to do about the poor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albinosheeps)
    But if you say, poor people in Africa etc. The only thing we can do right now is to give money.
    To line the corrupt dictator's pockets? Or to fuel another war? I'm not so sure... What is needed is medical attention and food - something that wouldn't be of any use to a power crazed loony.

Anyway - the answer to what we should do with poor people in the UK is that they should join the army (or at least all homeless people should) - shelter, food, and pay. And of course, some wouldn't have to fight - some could be cooks or part of the Queen's guard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    To line the corrupt dictator's pockets? Or to fuel another war? I'm not so sure... What is needed is medical attention and food - something that wouldn't be of any use to a power crazed loony.

Anyway - the answer to what we should do with poor people in the UK is that they should join the army (or at least all homeless people should) - shelter, food, and pay. And of course, some wouldn't have to fight - some could be cooks or part of the Queen's guard...
    Im not sure conscipting the poor into the army would be a good plan. For one army chiefs probably wouldnt be too happy, and I dont think that it would be the right environment for them to ovecome the mental problems that they may have (obviously not all poor people do, just some)

ReputationRep:
    I think we can all learn from the history of 19th century France - conscripting poor people into the army is not a good idea, and only leads to further troubles. Yay! Glad I learnt something from my revision today.

ReputationRep:
    And, most importantly, decent education. I think through donating to charities most of the money stays out of the pockets of corrupt dictators.

ReputationRep:
    But what else can we do to Africa? Only money can save the lives of those poor people. They can't grow anything or produce anything because their resources are limited and the quality of their land is poor too.

One time, I thought to myself, is constantly giving money and donating to the Africans the solution to stop poverty in Africa? No it doesn't, but thats the only thing we can do if we dont want to see so much suffering.

Anyway, does the poverty in Africa connect to Global Warming?

ReputationRep:
    "I think through donating to charities most of the money stays out of the pockets of corrupt dictators."

Yeah Although I think...it still helps the African government from keeping their seat.
    ok, i donno what im talkin about.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I was about to ask - WHAT THE HELL??

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how many people in africa do charities save each year?

ReputationRep:

Of course, many homeless people have actually served in the armed forces.
    We don't treat our veterans terribly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    What should we do (if anything) about the poor. I'm tired of seeing poor people.
    I once knew someone that actually lived in a council house. Terrible smell of brussel sprouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Of course, many homeless people have actually served in the armed forces.
    Have they? Say's who? What do you mean by "many"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't know about Britain, but as much as a third of the homeless people in the US are Vietnam veterans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I don't know about Britain, but as much as a third of the homeless people in the US are Vietnam veterans.
    None of the homeless people in Britain are Vietnam veterans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    http://www.oswaldstoll.org.uk/news/h...sness_minister

ReputationRep:
    Have you not wondered - who the hell makes the money?

If it's the governements who own the world bank - can't they completely releave Africa of all debts and with a little bit on the side. Regarding raw materials - I think if the African economy looked hard enough - I'm sure they could find money makers - yet with AIDS and death etc. it obviously proves very difficult of having to deal with such a set-back.
    Maybe if so many of the Presidents/Prime Minister's of African countries wern't so corrupt hence causing civil war and more set-backs their states would recover, but set-back after set-back; it's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

ReputationRep:
    That tells me (without offering any statistics) that "ex service-personel are often vulnerable to homlessness"

That's not the same as saying "many homeless people have actually served in the armed forces"

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the mental damage caused can send people way-ward.

ReputationRep:
    Which is shown many times in World War poetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donniedarko)
    But what else can we do to Africa? Only money can save the lives of those poor people. They can't grow anything or produce anything because their resources are limited and the quality of their land is poor too.
    Who told you that?
    Take Ethiopia, better soil quality than England, more rain than England, with the correct effort levels, and a little irrigation, they can grow far more than we can.
    Millions die from famines there.
    Is money the real solution?
    Zimbabwe, farms, massive production, under Mugabe, poverty and famine.
    Africa is not geographically poor, nor limited in resources, it is a fertile land that can feed it's population just as easily, if not more so than Europe.
    Money is not the issue, in fact money creates problems of it's own.
    Starving people move into refugee camps, and never leave again, becoming dependent on aid supplies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    Which is shown many times in World War poetry.
    Yes. But that's pretty irrelevant today because the last World War finished 60years ago and most of the the great War poets wrote about the World War before that. Few British servicemen today experience anything like Somme conditins.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.