Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, the way they used the sentence was in a racial way. They were pretty much saying he's not worth saving because he is white. OF COURSE they were being racist! To say they were merely mentioning the race of another person is quite offensive and ignorant, in my opinion. Again, it's like some of you are out to excuse anti-white racism.

If I said "he's just a black man" to people trying to save a dying black man, I don't think I'd get a good reception! In fact, I would probably get arrested.

I can tell that, if this case was reversed and the dying man was black and the gang was white, a lot of you would have a very different stance indeed.

"I told them to have some respect because a man was dying and they shouted, 'Who cares - it's just a white man'."

You cannot deny the racism in this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Uhm, the way they used the sentence was in a racial way. They were pretty much saying he's not worth saving because he is white. OF COURSE they were being racist!
    We all know that, but according to the letter of the law, I doubt they did anything wrong. They are, simply put, scum, but probably not criminals (well, they probably are criminals, but I mean they're not criminals in this instance).

The law is an ass.

ReputationRep:
    Was the white 10 year old who called a fellow Asian kid 'Bin Laden' a criminal? Did he not get arrested and taken to court for what he said?

If I use racial expletives around a police officer, I am 99% sure I'd be arrested. If it didn not fall under any race laws, surely it would fall under the Anti-social Behaviour Act? I mean, you cannot even swear around policemen/women nowadays; saying something racially offensive would surely be worse?

Anyway, the black youths in this article were even THREATENING the police, but, still, they were not arrested. Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    Uh, may I remind you of the ten year old who called another ten year old 'Bin Laden'? He was arrested and taken to court (even though the Asian he insulted also called him "white trash"). Was this incitement to racial hatred?
    I know, and in my view that is a completely ridiculous thing for the CPS to be wasting their time with. I completely agreed with the judge who said that it was madness to be bringing the issue before the courts in such a way, it clearly wasn't incitement to anything, it was playground banter.

So, if I went up to a black man and called him a "*****ing n*gger", you don't think I should be arrested?
    Well, it very much depends. For example, what if someone calls their friend that as a greeting (and people do use insults as greetings), is that incitement to racial hatred? No, of course not. But if someone stood there and yelled about black people in a general way in that language, should he be arrested? Possibly. It's hard for the law to deal with such a spectrum however.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, the black youths in this article were even THREATENING the police, but, still, they were not arrested. Why is this?
    Well, I don't know all the details, I'm just going on what was in the article. If they were obstructing emergency services or threatening people then they should have been arrested, no doubt about it. If they just yelled a comment in passing, it doesn't really seem like an arrestable offence.

ReputationRep:
    If I use racial expletives around a police officer, I am 99% sure I'd be arrested. If it didn not fall under any race laws, surely it would fall under the Anti-social Behaviour Act?
    More likely to be arrested for a breach of the peace if you were using words which others felt threatened by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    Well, it very much depends. For example, what if someone calls their friend that as a greeting (and people do use insults as greetings), is that incitement to racial hatred? No, of course not. But if someone stood there and yelled about black people in a general way in that language, should he be arrested? Possibly. It's hard for the law to deal with such a spectrum however.
    If I was shouting racial slurs about black people, I would almost certainly get arrested - and rightly so. It would/should fall under the Antisocial Behaviour Act. I mean, I once got arrested for calling a bouncer a [email protected], and this supposedly fell under the Antisocial Behaviour Act. Therefore, the black chavs who tormented the dying white guy, and said "Who cares? He's just a white man," should have been arrested, too. Especially since they proceeded to try and fight the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    More likely to be arrested for a breach of the peace if you were using words which others felt threatened by.
    ...Which these black guys were doing. They were clearly showing their disdain towards white people, in front of white people. The fact that there was a gang of them is threatening anyway. But being racist...

Sorry, but I can't help noticing double standards. I know that if I was saying unkind things about black people in front of a police officer, I would be immediately arrested. In my opinion, racism directed towards white people is not taken seriously enough. Not as seriously as racism directed towards minorities, anyway.

Maybe tomorrow I will walk past a policeman and say "Pakis are ruining this country" and see what the consequence is. Actually, no, I know I would get arrested...

ReputationRep:
    And what was the relevence of this post, hey? I'm used to copying and pasting the beginning of news articles; it's something which is compulsory on a different forum.

Anyway, what is your point? The point of the journalist including this was to show that not all blacks are racist - which is kinda stating the obvious.

I love it - I post something showing anti-white racism and all you damn liberals jump on the boat and try to insinuate that I'm racist. Please, anti-white racist apologists, go away.
    Firstly, this argument is part of this thread - please do not pm me concerning what I said, as I'd prefer it if you commented here.

In response to what you said in the pm - I'm not "anti-white.." I live in a "white country" and am part of this culture.

Secondly, you mentioned this: "Would you say this to a black woman who posted about an anti-black racist murder, yet left out part of the article saying a white woman had helped?"
    As a matter of fact I would - I don't think that laws should differ in a population, as they are meant to portray equality.

"And it's those like you who wonder why people vote BNP!"

I apologize, but if trying to look at a situation from two sides causes people to vote BNP, then it just goes to show how pathetic some people can be.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, may I remind you of the ten year old who called another ten year old 'Bin Laden'? He was arrested and taken to court (even though the Asian he insulted also called him "white trash"). Was this incitement to racial hatred?

So, if I went up to a black man and called him a "*****ing n*gger", you don't think I should be arrested?
    No and neither should a 10 yr old in a playground. But then that would be yet more evidence of the double standards permeating all "racial crime" in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    That's was just cruel, to be racist is bad enough but to actually try interfere with emergency services while someone is dying is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If I use racial expletives around a police officer, I am 99% sure I'd be arrested. If it didn not fall under any race laws, surely it would fall under the Anti-social Behaviour Act? I mean, you cannot even swear around policemen/women nowadays; saying something racially offensive would surely be worse?

are you white? if so you would be arrested.

and secondly they were not arrested simply beacuse they are black. whilst rcism does shamefully exist there are those who use A it as a shield and B as a weapon.
    and our PC state allows this to occur

ReputationRep:
    Whether the women who asked the police to arrest the youths was black or not is completely irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Hate racists. scum

ReputationRep:
    Although what was said by these people was horrible I don't think it should be illegal just as I don't think that the BNP should be censored when they are being racist. In this country we either have the right to say what we think or we don't and I would rather that we did even if this means that some people will yell racist things. However if they were obstructing the emergency services as has been suggested then they should be tried for that,

ReputationRep:
    "I don't think that the BNP should be censored"

Are you sure you're in the labour party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    "I don't think that the BNP should be censored"

Are you sure you're in the labour party?
    paid up member, I have a real problem with everything that the BNP stand for and I do think that the world would be a better place without their sorts of oppinions. However that does not mean that I don't think that they should have the right to express those oppinions if they choose to.

ReputationRep:
    So you denounce NL's attitude towards censoring the BNP?

ReputationRep:
    disgusting story. :mad:

Police should give them a good beating, teach them some respect.

(Original post by happybob)
    It isn't illegal to be racist, although im sure these guys were breaking the public order act. Then again that law was made to stop the BNP(and other far right groups) from doing things like playing land of hope and glory in the street, not to stop blacks from mocking a dying white man.
    how ironic:

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news_detail.php?newsId=857

"Inspector Harvi Khaktar, backed up by Sergeant Phil Compton 8823 and PC Lamb 0029 then threatened all three BNP activists with arrest for incitement to racial hatred for playing "Rule Britannia" on the PA system. "

:rolleyes:

What's wrong with playing "land of hope and glory" happybob? is it a crime to be patriotic?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2007
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.