Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what's on your philosophy list?

ReputationRep:
    those who have their reading lists: did you pick oxford as your firm choice already/ before you got the list?

ReputationRep:
    no, i still haven't picked n i got mine back in march

it depends on college/subject

ReputationRep:
    I was really keen about picking Oxford as my firm; I emailed the admissions secretary a few days after the offer I think.
    I've only got 3 books for Philosophy, and they didn't specify which. They're:

Logic - Wilfrid Hodges

Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong - J.L. Mackie

What Does It All Mean? -Thomas Nagel

Doesnt sound too taxing, more like an introduction to philosophy really. It's the French books I'm more concerned about. Argh, just calculated that it'd cost just over £100 for all the books on my reading list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traum)
    I got my reading list in March...but i can't find any of the books anywhere (unless i'm willing to buy them from Amazon for £40/book...)
    Try abebooks

ReputationRep:
    Amazon marketplace, ebay, second-hand bookstores (Blackwells in Oxford has a whole floor).

For philosophy, out of those three I would say Logic is a MUST, its pretty impossible to survive without it, and the others would be a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I sent a slightly panicky email to my college some time in September saying ummm reading list?! And found out happily that I had none - 'twas also a nice way to find out that I wasn't the only Biologist that year hehe
    Do any biologists have a reading list? Or is it just those from Jesus?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure since I haven't really ever asked any of the other biologists. On the one hand since we're only ever expected to read textbooks I doubt there's a reading list, but then on the other hand your tutor sets it and there's been massive mix up with biology tutors @ Jesus over the last couple of years so it could just be down to angus being unorganised

If you feel like doing some reading up (unlikely but you never know!) then I'd read some Dawkins, and if you want to go over the course material (you probably need to do more for the Genes part of C+G and Orgs because the cells first term all builds on A level) then it might be worth having a look at Hartwell (Genetics, From Genes to Genomes) and Brock's Biology of Microorganisms as those are the two main set texts. If you want to read up on biochemistry then we mostly use Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell.

But like I said I did no reading before I come up so if you don't get a reading list then i wouldn't bother too much - it just might save you some work later on!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure since I haven't really ever asked any of the other biologists. On the one hand since we're only ever expected to read textbooks I doubt there's a reading list, but then on the other hand your tutor sets it and there's been massive mix up with biology tutors @ Jesus over the last couple of years so it could just be down to angus being unorganised

If you feel like doing some reading up (unlikely but you never know!) then I'd read some Dawkins, and if you want to go over the course material (you probably need to do more for the Genes part of C+G and Orgs because the cells first term all builds on A level) then it might be worth having a look at Hartwell (Genetics, From Genes to Genomes) and Brock's Biology of Microorganisms as those are the two main set texts. If you want to read up on biochemistry then we mostly use Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell.

But like I said I did no reading before I come up so if you don't get a reading list then i wouldn't bother too much - it just might save you some work later on!
    Some biologists get a "reading list" which mainly consisted of the first few chapters of a couple of the set texts - definitely the first 3 chapters of Alberts and I think a few chapters of Hartwell too. But it's completely down to your tutor and whether they think it would be useful.
    We got a similar thing for biochemistry - first 3 chapters of Alberts and first 6 of Stryer (another biochemistry textbook), but tbh it didn't help and the tutor never mentioned it when we got there anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for English and was wondering if there's any way I can get hold of a reading list. I think I get one in September from my college but I'm away then anyway so wouldn't mind some titles a bit earlier!

Any particular recommendations from current English students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talls)
    I've got an offer for English and was wondering if there's any way I can get hold of a reading list. I think I get one in September from my college but I'm away then anyway so wouldn't mind some titles a bit earlier!

Any particular recommendations from current English students?
    Trying to get a reading list now could be interesting as they seem to vary in which books are done when and which colleges concentrate on which books but from what I can remember about the first term it's TS Eliot, Virginia Woolf ummm Beowulf isn't til hilary term... oh hell wait for a real English student :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help! I guess I'll probably buy them all, but will try abebooks, ebay etc to find the cheapest available. Sounds like so much reading this holiday...

ReputationRep:

Thanks very much. I'll grit my teeth and open my Dawkins books :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Any clues for the Modern History reading list at Lincoln... I'm a speedy reader, but I still want a bit of a headstart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    Any clues for the Modern History reading list at Lincoln... I'm a speedy reader, but I still want a bit of a headstart!
    Dizzikiki is a historian at Lincoln (2nd year).

I'll email her with a link to this for you ...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just got OOTB's e-mail and will either post or PM you some more info when I'm not just on my way out to dinner!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Thanks, whenever you have the time is fab!

ReputationRep:
    Ok have finally finished start of term collections and what have you so have some time to answer questions and faff about on t'internet. Anyway it would help to know which periods u'd be doing to know what sort of books to recommend. So if you let me know I can try to help (although obviously I don't know much outside the papers I've studied) or you can just try to find some books that interest you on whatever you think you'll be studying.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.