Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

This is the first time I have posted on this site, I'm the Students' Union Welfare Officer, I know a wee bit about housing etc. so if you have any questions or issues don't hesitate to get in contact.

Just a word about Host families...the University do usiually have to place some insurance students with host families at the beginning of the year. However as said before, due to top up fees or whatever, there was an unprecedented amount of students placed with host families last year and this is why lots of problems arose, things weren't always dealt with the best way and there were lots of unhappy peoples. Hopefully this year, host families won't be on the same scale, but I thought it might be worth mentioning that the students' union has been negotiating with the University to ensure last year's probs are anticipated and avoided. With a bit of foresight, things should hopefully be alot better this year in terms of putting on events for any students off campus and getting everyone involved.

abi x

ReputationRep:
    Are you able to tell us what sort of changes the housing office are making for 2006 entry, and what they've learned?

Obviously if you can't, that's fine, but I am curious. Having been messed around a bit myself last year and all. I was suprised that it was as bad as it was. Yeah, those sorts of numbers were a new thing, but the housing offices must have known to be prepared for much higher numbers for a good number of months. I nearly wasn't even offered a host family place, which would've meant a commute from Croydon every day.

Also, as you're a union type, can I just ask if you're doing more for host family/off campus uni accommodation people for Freshers' Week in September, to make them feel more included? Freshers' Week last year was very campus-centric. Even things like the pub crawl were off limits because the ride home would've been useless for me. Or a proper off campus social would be good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Also, as you're a union type, can I just ask if you're doing more for host family/off campus uni accommodation people for Freshers' Week in September, to make them feel more included? Freshers' Week last year was very campus-centric. Even things like the pub crawl were off limits because the ride home would've been useless for me. Or a proper off campus social would be good too.
    Gosh us Union people are just taking over!

This was the key bit of feedback we received after Freshers' this year and will be the key recommendation for next year's sabbatical team who take over in July. Freshers has really expanded at Sussex over the past couple of years but, as you've pointed out, its only expanded on campus. Suggestions of off-campus events, meeting points for off-campus students before on-campus events and additional transport for students living off-campus will be passed on.

Jo x

ReputationRep:
    So this year, because it was a complete shambles last year will improvements be made for those with host families, because expecting people to live with strangers when they have no friends is kind of tough and scares the hell out of me!

ReputationRep:
    If I'm understanding this correctly, once you survive the shambles of being with a host family, you will probably be re-housed into a shambles of an accommodation!(the general consensus points out the park houses).

God help me if I don't get the ABB that I need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muskateer)
    If I'm understanding this correctly, once you survive the shambles of being with a host family, you will probably be re-housed into a shambles of an accommodation!(the general consensus points out the park houses).

God help me if I don't get the ABB that I need.
    nope not even that :P i got offered an East Slope SHARED room after a few weeks of being at uni haha!

ReputationRep:
    im so confused now, some tell me you dont get housed cuz one of my friends had to stay with a host and some say you get housed. Grrrrrr, poxy uni

ReputationRep:
    last year all insurance students were told either have a host family or find their own alternative accomodation. some were housed relatively quickly, others not so. but like we've said this was last year, A LOT of mistakes were made by the uni, they have probably (hopefully!) learnt from their mistakes this time round

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been in touch with the Housing Services Manager to get some clarification of this for you. Apologies for the lengthy reply but I didn't want to miss anything out...

It is very difficult to predict housing allocations until places are confirmed on 18th August so the Housing Office are currently working on the assumption that all insurance and clearing students will miss out on university managed accommodation for the start of the year. If they do manage to house insurance students they will be offered the rooms that confirmed first offer students don't want, i.e. shared rooms and off campus. It is likely that, even if some insurance students are offered rooms, others will be offered host families.

They will know the actual situation in the week beginning 21st August and will then contact all students they estimate won't be given university housing and let them know their options and what support there will be. They will also let the Students' Union know what is happening so we can do our best to support students. As last year, there will be an RA designated to deal with host family students and the Housing Office will hold a meeting during Freshers Week for all students on the waiting list.

Last year all students on the waiting list were offered University managed accommodation by Christmas but this was usually in a shared room or rooms off campus. Many students decided to get together in houses off campus instead. Students on the waiting list do have the option of waiting for a single room on campus only but it takes longer.

Hopefully with the forthcoming new accommodation this problem will not happen again (or certainly not to this extent) in future.

Jo x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much the bit about people getting their own houses off campus sounds a bit more reassuring. Just worried about the social side of things.
    Many thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.