Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Magistrate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You need a pretty high level of those skills in order to be a Magistrate. Also, you seem to dismiss any opinion that doesn't read as follows

"yes, go for it. it's a great idea and we think you will make a fantastic magistrate".

That doesn't really bode too well for your reasoning at the bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Mongoose)
    Look, this is going nowhere. If you want to apply to be a magistrate, do so- we can't stop you after all. But (i say, summing up unilateraly) we think you won't get in, are risking taking an unusual step that might back-fire and are being unusually cavalier towards the importand public post that a Justice of the Peace is.

Finally, you realise that when/if you become a legal professional you will be ineligable to sit on the bench? The state is (if you get accepted) going to spend lots of money training you into becoming a magistrate for you to bugger off into the legal profession in a few years.

Anything to add, Etheral?
    With all due respect you have not given a reason why is is unwise. you have not answered my question. Your above accusation i.e cavalier have been shown to be hollow. you misinterpreted. Why would it backfire. please explain. You said you had a feeling but what is your reasoning?

Yes i am aware on the point about not being able to sit on the bench once a legal prof - all the more reason to do it why i can.

Your final objection assumes i put the state above my own interests, which i certainly do not.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, a qualified solicitor may sit on the bench whilst still practising. If you had looked at the Department for Constitutional Affairs website you'd have found a case study of a woman who is partner in a law firm and yet is a magistrate.

Another important question you need to answer, what year of your degree are you in and do you intend to stay in the same area in order to do the LPC/BVC and practice?

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I am far less anti the idea as the other posters above. I see no disadvantage in being a magistrate if you subsequently want to go into a legal career.

However, I am still doubtful whether you can demonstrate you have the necessary skills. Perhaps you could indicate how you will evidence that you have the following:

Good character: personal integrity and the respect and trust of others.

Understanding and communication: to be able to understand documents, identify relevant facts, follow evidence and communicate effectively.

Social awareness: to appreciate and accept the rule of law.

Maturity and sound temperament: an awareness and understanding of people and a sense of fairness.

Sound judgement: to be able to think logically, weigh arguments and reach a sound decision.

Commitment and reliability: committed to serving the community and making the necessary time commitment, willing to undergo training, and in sufficiently good health to undertake your duties on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be getting yourself awfully worked up about the whole thing. That doesn't bode well for being a magistrate.
    Do i? I guess the line btw being assertive and appearing to be 'worked up' is blurry on a forum.

People's concerns seem to be twofold:

(a) what is your motivation for applying to be a magistrate? Is it to impress potential employers or because it is a "good thing" to do?
    Both as i've explained.

are you likely to be called?
    I guess thats a question for people who interview potentila magistrates

Although the age threshold has been dropped, I would be surprised if a 20 year old became a magistrate. With the greatest of respect, I wouldn't want you passing judgment on me. I would be surprised if you have the maturity and life experience necessary to undertake such a responsibility. I certainly wouldn't want to do it and I have an 11 year head start on you.
    I guess that's because you havent' seen my CV or met me. Good thing that those two things are used in selecting magistrates.

That said, if you were to be appointed then I don't see that it would be a disadvantage to a career at the bar.
    good. but you don't see it as an advantge at all either?

ReputationRep:
    I have no objection to the notion per se chalks, I just wouldn't want to be the poor sod who's case is being heard by someone who was still wet behind the ears.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, a qualified solicitor may sit on the bench whilst still practising. If you had looked at the Department for Constitutional Affairs website you'd have found a case study of a woman who is partner in a law firm and yet is a magistrate.

I have. though i said legal pro i was focusing on the career i care about - barrister. Legal pro after all does not exclude barristers.

Another important question you need to answer, what year of your degree are you in and do you intend to stay in the same area in order to do the LPC/BVC and practice?
    2nd. yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    I have no objection to the notion per se chalks, I just wouldn't want to be the poor sod who's case is being heard by someone who was still wet behind the ears.

so this is now the objection? were the others just smokescreens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Ok. I am far less anti the idea as the other posters above. I see no disadvantage in being a magistrate if you subsequently want to go into a legal career.

However, I am still doubtful whether you can demonstrate you have the necessary skills. Perhaps you could indicate how you will evidence that you have the following:

Good character: personal integrity and the respect and trust of others.

Understanding and communication: to be able to understand documents, identify relevant facts, follow evidence and communicate effectively.

Social awareness: to appreciate and accept the rule of law.

Maturity and sound temperament: an awareness and understanding of people and a sense of fairness.

Sound judgement: to be able to think logically, weigh arguments and reach a sound decision.

Commitment and reliability: committed to serving the community and making the necessary time commitment, willing to undergo training, and in sufficiently good health to undertake your duties on a regular basis.
    I can demonstrate all that. won't post it all on here - id have to give quite a few personal details.

ReputationRep:
    hampshire

I say go for it. My cousin is 21 and just got appinted one. He loves it. Don't let these defeatists get you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hampshire)
    so this is now the objection? were the others just smokescreens?
    no, they were valid points.

Anyway, chalks & mongoose - about that beer ....

ReputationRep:
    no, they were valid points.

Anyway, chalks & mongoose - about that beer ....

This certainly sounds like your real objection - 'no objection...just'.

Also they were not valid points - i showed them to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, I raised a query about your level of experience etc by reference to the skill sets the DCA looks for. Unfortunately, you were only able to say "Yes, I do have those skills" without giving us anything to go on. On that basis, I can't objectively judge whether you're likely to succeed.

Anyway, best of luck. Personally, I think the reduction in the age threshold is bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    Your "showing them to be wrong" amounted to little more than "i don't accept what you say and you've yet to convince me".

If you want to apply for the magistry do it, but in answer to your oringinal question it

- will add little you could not have picked up elsewhere
    - may affect you getting a job because not all employers are receptive to the idea they have to work around your commitments to the crown
    - is unlikely you will be called

Make of it what you will, but tell me the point in asking people's opinions then wittering at them because they are not the opinion you wanted.

As I said before, I could have said it's a great idea and I think you should go for it. However, I would be lying.

ReputationRep:
    Politics = bad for a magistrate. You need to be fair and objective, not influenced by political ideology.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. You appear to have posted under two different user names.

How do explain that?

ReputationRep:
    And where have those two recent posts by "objectivism" gone?

Something fishy going on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Oh dear. You appear to have posted under two different user names.

How do explain that?

i have?? u sure??

ReputationRep:
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    Indeed
    evidence? come on we are lawyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.