Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludivine)
    No no, it's not what you think. He's just my *****.
    You're not drunk are you?

If you want, I can prove you're wrong. Dare you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb_sweden)
    You're not drunk are you?

If you want, I can prove you're wrong. Dare you?
    No no, I think the UCL forum has had enough of us for one evening, and indeed for an entire lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    No no, I think the UCL forum has had enough of us for one evening, and indeed for an entire lifetime.
    I rest my case.

Wussy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    i think you have to be elected so being popular among your fellow students would obviously help.
    Though, from Economics students I know, not essential. Ben is criticised quite a lot by second years in particular.

When societies do well people look for a similar president.

When societies do badly, people look for someone different.

ReputationRep:
    Can a President be re-elected?

Are there any criterias attached to the position? E.g. member of the Economics department?

ReputationRep:
    hmm, just wondering, don't you have to be in your second year before you're elected president? Because I would say it would take at least a year for you to be familiar with how UCL societies work etc. through becoming a junior member first.
    (oooo, if there's a running for president of ESPS I might just get in there!) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i say we have a thread dedicated to Pres. Ben...he's a living legend in my books..or so i have heard...

Been busy. Apols.

I do a lot (details? who cares?). But a president can change the job to be whatever they like (within reason). All UCL Union societies are subject to electoral proceedure as governed by UCL Union.

(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Though, from Economics students I know, not essential. Ben is criticised quite a lot by second years in particular.
    Win some. Lose some. I have better things to do than worry about what I lose when I do seem to get a few wins. Ultimately, at least I'm doing things (and evidently, people care enough to talk about me - which surprises me as I thought they had more exciting lives than to gossip about me). If they wanted to get involved and make a difference, they could have. But are seemingly too apathetic to bother. If the society just died, the department, people in it and UCL would be worse off. I have no doubt about that.

When societies do well people look for a similar president.

When societies do badly, people look for someone different.
    Well, this year, we've made money. Still have a lot of members. The committee next year is the largest ever with more people standing than ever. Still have our sponsors and had companies approaching to ask about sponsorship. The Union reckons we sell our sponsorship packages too cheaply and are generally relatively grateful that we are financially independent and actually self-sustaining. The department appreciate us covering their open days, sorting out a few events and generally, doing the things they can't be bothered to do.

We are obviously totally rubbish.

(Original post by Eidothea)
    hmm, just wondering, don't you have to be in your second year before you're elected president? Because I would say it would take at least a year for you to be familiar with how UCL societies work etc. through becoming a junior member first.
    (oooo, if there's a running for president of ESPS I might just get in there!) :rolleyes:
    In my opinion, it is best that the President is a second year - because the focus of the society is on them and first years.

The other reason is that being president is an opportunity that is best used by a second year student.

NB The four key clients are 1) membership 2) sponsors 3) the Union 4) department

Membership are service takers. They don't really care who is providing the service, so long as it is there. Sponsors, they want someone who can do the job, again, don't care. Union, don't care. Department, don't care though a second year is ideal when addressing new students as they are still "around" the year after.

A second year gets the most of being president because, for their own personal quest of getting an internship, it's helpful.

Can a President be re-elected?
    Yes.

Are there any criterias attached to the position? E.g. member of the Economics department?
    Only one I know is that you have to be a student at UCL the following year.

(possibly some others but there aren't in terms of home department or anything like that)

(Original post by g_sachs)
    I went down to UCL on 1st Feb, and from my view of ucl, u have to be a drunkard who wants to give out ten pound notes for no reason coz the society has nothing better to spend the money on. :p: pres ben :p: This made me think... wot the hell does the president of the economics society do apart from suck teachers *ss :p: and go on the circular line dirnking at all 23 or 24 stops. What do u have to do to be the President. Its just that i dont drink and might wanna be a Pres. Also, if u r the president, r u classed as a geek? sorry pres ben for this little abuse. u seemed quite kool on the 1st feb so hence this abuse.
    I don't drink that much. You don't need to drink to be honest. I do it because I like it. In the last week, I've had one pint during the Arsenal game. I know when I can, when I can't. The tenners are peanuts in the society budget. I could have given out a hundred on each of them and we'd still have been in the black. They were meant to teach you a lesson about what university is - fundamentally, an opportunity.

Most of the academic staff probably think I do too little academic work. Which is probably correct at the moment though I hope to greatly rectify this next year when I can hopefully finally focus on the study of Economics. Something which I haven't really been able to do while at uni given the other things I've been doing.

The Circle Line has 27 stops. Drink 28 is on the return to base.

I remember being bought an awful lot of extra drinks during the Freshers' run. I then remember being in the Rocket til getting kicked out, puking on exist of a bus and crashing on a floor somewhere before getting up with blurry eyes and smelling of stale **** (at least) the next morning at 8am to do the second day of Freshers Fayre, assist on the second book sale which was turning into a scrum (and I didn't really help that much either - the people there got it straight soon enough).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    (possibly some others but there aren't in terms of home department or anything like that)
    Well did I tell you, Mr Sweden? I love being right.

ReputationRep:
    Well did I tell you, Mr Sweden? I love being right.
    Well, I didn't expect you to be wrong always, anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I didn't expect you to be wrong always, anyway...
    Shame I can't say the same for you.

ReputationRep:
    Shame I can't say the same for you.
    "It annoys me you're more clever than me".

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me you're more clever than me.
    I'll try to be less clever if that would make you feel a little better about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to be less clever if that would make you feel a little better about yourself.
    Did you notice the quotation marks?

Besides, do you really think it's a good idea to make me feel even better about myself?

ReputationRep:
    Did you notice the quotation marks?

Besides, do you really think it's a good idea to make me feel even better about myself?
    I decided the quotation marks were superfluous. And you pissed me off so I gave myself permission to remove them.

I really don't think it's humanly possible for you to become any more arrogant, anyway.

Please don't reply to this.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't reply to this.
    I always do as you say.

ReputationRep:
    criterias
    The word 'criteria' is plural without an 's'. This may not be an essential criterion to being elected president of the economics society, but it's really bugging me...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.