Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Vegetarianism, and how can I stop losing weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    Being a vegetarian may benefit you in multiple ways. Primarily, on a less serious note - gas won't be a problem . Secondly, I find that a vegetarian diet can be very fulfilling in terms of feeling fresh all the time. Personally, the only way to keep the healthy vegetarian diet going however, you must deffinately have your daily dose of potatoes and ideally milk. However, if you tend to stay away from all meat "products" i.e. milk - then try finding a substitute in soya milk. This heated in the mornings can be dream like . Add some sugar if you like, and it can make the perfect drink. I ended up drinking it instead of water for a few days; it's very healthy and very tasty so I don't see where I'm loosing out. Maybe start out with bottled soya milk, and when you get used to it, try making it yourself. If you're interested I would gladly give you the recepie ! Good luck with the weight!

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarianism is ****, end of. Can't even be bothered to argue. Stop trying to convince the world to become vegetarian.

You're as bad as those religious people who go around telling you to believe in God because they do.

ReputationRep:
    imasillynarb, i believe that it is you who is preaching.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I have ever lost any weight, I can't really remember. Anyway, just eat normally- there are so many things veggies can eat that I don't find it a problem. I'm vegetarian purely because I never enjoyed eating meat and don't like the taste of it, veggie stuff tastes nicer!

Fruit is a good thing, make sure you're getting your 5 fruits and vegetables a day... I have no idea how people can be vegetarian and hate veg!

Tesco's own brand stuff is nicer than Quorn- thats disgusting. Or Linda MacCartney, although that tends to be quite expensive. But really just get creative and start throwing food together and you'll get loads of recipies.

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian for moral reasons since I was nine and although i'm slimmer than average I've never had any problems with weight fluctuation.

I recommend using quorn in the place of meat in things like chilli and curry, spag bol etc. Don't buy the pre-prepared veggie meals etc. because those are full of fat and are just generally bad. If you have become vegetarian at the same time as starting a diet for other things (ie. cutting out chocolate etc) this will inevitably contribute to your weight loss. My vegetarian diet is pretty much the same as a normal diet but with things to replace meat, be it quorn, cheese, beans, lentils (GREAT in soups and chilli) or even things like mushrooms which are a good source of protein.

Quorn is made of a fungi, the same as the mushrooms people eat every day and is significantly lower in saturated fat. As a vegetarian I am 25% less likely to have a heart attack than you.

I've never been anaemic (but then i do snack on raw cabbage on occaision) and if you have a diet high enough in beans and green vegetables, you could get away without eating quorn if it wasn't your thing. I don't like nuts so my diet is not dependant on them.

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots of eggs and nuts and bananas.
    And have a good steak dinner.

ReputationRep:
    I always think it's pretty ironic how people cut out meat, and then look for substitutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    I always think it's pretty ironic how people cut out meat, and then look for substitutes.
    substitutes for protein? Or do you mean the things that taste like meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    Hi, a few days ago, I wanted to try out the vegetarian diet for health reasons (and still deciding what my moral opinion on it is), and I followed the advice from some vegetarian websites, but the thing is I've suddenly lost a lot of weight, but I don't want that to happen and I want to maintain my weight!

I don't want to keep losing weight, so how can I without eating meat again? Btw I used to eat a lot of chocolate too, and cut down on that.

Any advice? (please don't say eat more junk food :rolleyes: )
    Were you replacing the meat with quorn etc? That might help a bit; otherwise, there are lots of things with 'good' fats in them (ie dairy products...and avocados!) which might help you maintain your weight.

PS Join us! Vegetarianism rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    It's actually not ironic at all; people don't stop eating meat because they dislike the taste or have some kind aversion to protein, it's because they find eating animals morally objectionable. (Not to sound preachy...) So eating meat substitutes is perfectly rational if you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    woohoo tried some quorn today, it tasted all right :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (it was Quorn cottage pie from Sainsbury's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star_crossed)
    PS Join us! Vegetarianism rules!
    :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: :p:

i wish i was vegetarian, agree with the principles ... i just cant take the pressure of not being able to eat whats usually in my everyday meal. I tried it this year, lasted a month before i cracked.

ReputationRep:
    Energy drinks are always good, when i was ill I lost over a stone and found that they stopped me losing even more weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickaskill)
    Energy drinks are always good, when i was ill I lost over a stone and found that they stopped me losing even more weight.
    considering they contain caffeine and therefore increase your metabolism, i don't think they are.

ReputationRep:
    Quorn is delicious, I would eat it over meat when I cook for myself a ot of the time because i prefer the texture of it.

ReputationRep:
    *eating quorn*hmm not bad quorn virgins should try it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.