Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When 40,000 OAP's die in this country every winter of hyperthermia because they cant afford to heat their homes, i think this kind of outlay is an absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DemonDemonic)
    I don't need to pretend I am a member of the Labour party who moved 700000 people out of poverty
    And did Labour do that by getting foreign aid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BirchyGreen)
    When 40,000 OAP's die in this country every winter of hyperthermia because they cant afford to heat their homes, i think this kind of outlay is an absolute disgrace.
    You would...Declear your intrests ! :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DemonDemonic)
    I don't need to pretend I am a member of the Labour party who moved 700000 people out of poverty
    Missing the target by 300,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    So why force people to pay through taxation? Anyone who wants to help Africa is absolutely free to do so by giving to charity. Not that this solves Africa's long-term problems, but at least you can feel better about yourself.
    I’m not forcing, nor am I telling anyone to force.

ReputationRep:
    How about, as Bis mentioned, removing that £8.5 billion from our tax and letting people donate if they want to? If people don't want to donate, why should the government force them too? The government are hardly a pivotal entity on the compass of morality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluedreamer)
    I’m not forcing, nor am I telling anyone to force.
    Does that mean you don't support the government using mandatory taxation to fund its African projects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    Missing the target by 300,000.
    300000 people living in poverty you think that’s something to smile about? You should be ashamed of yourself. Silly little carnival freak.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    How about, as Bis mentioned, removing that £8.5 billion from our tax and letting people donate if they want to? If people don't want to donate, why should the government force them too? The government are hardly a pivotal entity on the compass of morality.
    Tax is mandatory. It's a system that works, though we may question it.

And, once tax is paid, it is the governments money to do with as they wish.

So using it to assist Africa is there perogative. Also, I'm pretty sure a little research will help you find that even more is spent on solving internal problems, including that of local poverty.

Basically you lot are doing a good deed without even having to lifet a finger, or make the slightest of effort other than go about your daily business.

And to think, all this hard work and you're ensuring the future of a nation.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4890162.stm

Maybe we should help track down £80 BILLION of missing money before we hand over any more, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Every single penny of tax my whole family has paid their whole lives and none of it is going to towards improving this country. I can't believe some of you people are dismissing £8.5 Billion like it's nothing. It could make so much difference to your local hospitals ability to fight cancer and you might think about that when your mum is being refused Herceptin because her local NHS trust can't afford to provide it.

[...and now back to my old self...]

With levels of intelligence in Africa among the ruling elite this low:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4879822.stm

It hardly fills you with confidence that all this money will be spent in a way that would educate any Africans.

[...end old self...]

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomiser)
    And to think, all this hard work and you're ensuring the future of a nation.
    Do you have any evidence of foreign aid ever ensuring the future of a nation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    Every single penny of tax my whole family has paid their whole lives and none of it is going to towards improving this country.
    How completely untrue that statement is. At present the NHS is at its highest levels of funding since Labour have come into power. Service in the NHS is improving radically(I used the NHS since you happened to mention herceptin).

Mike

ReputationRep:
    I'm for the donations in principle, but the problem is that too many African countires have corrupt dictatorships that siphon off the money meant for the masses into their own private Swiss bank accounts, or into building more Presidential Palaces.

This needs to be alleviated first, before any large scale donations are made in future.

Anyway, 8.5 billion would sink into the NHS without a trace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    I'm for the donations in principle, but the problem is that too many African countires have corrupt dictatorships that siphon off the money meant for the masses into their own private Swiss bank accounts, or into building more Presidential Palaces.

This needs to be alleviated first, before any large scale donations are made in future.

Anyway, 8.5 billion would sink into the NHS without a trace.
    It's not just the dictators; Nigeria and Kenya (both democratic) are two of the most corrupt countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Don't all miss the point here. Our services need all the investment they can get, why are we sending money to Africa while the situation at home is so poor?

Andrew
    Try and consider the people who live in Africa as actual human beings and you might begin to grasp it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Try and consider the people who live in Africa as actual human beings and you might begin to grasp it.
    Precisley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    How completely untrue that statement is. At present the NHS is at its highest levels of funding since Labour have come into power. Service in the NHS is improving radically(I used the NHS since you happened to mention herceptin).

Mike
    Not sure about your family, but my family hasn't raised over £8.5 Billion in tax.

My statement is valid.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Does that mean that the laws of economics don't apply to them? Not a single person in this thread has yet tried to show how foreign aid actually alleviates poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about your family, but my family hasn't raised over £8.5 Billion in tax.

My statement is valid.

Andrew
    No, its completely wrong.

Feel free to show me a letter which says 'Dear Sir, the government would like to inform you that all your tax money is being sent to Africa'.
    The point it you can't pinpoint exactly where your families money went. The point I'm making is that services in this country are improving and continuing to improve.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.