Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cheeky shops watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I often walk out, usually after shouting 'How much!?' like an old lady.

I always carry a little bottle of tap water with me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to buy it once and remember not to go there again :P

ReputationRep:
    It's motorway services shops that annoy me with their over-hyped prices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I can understand the location thing, on a hot summers day on Oxford Street I probably would pay £1.50 if I was thirsty enough, but a little road in Chorlton *** Hardy with three shops on it who would be desperate enough to pay that?
    It's quite strange that the other shop charges a lot less, unless there is something about the location of the first shop (maybe it's the one everyone goes to upon entering the street?)... either that or the second shop is just doing bad business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    It's motorway services shops that annoy me with their over-hyped prices!
    That would definitely be the location, and how there isn't really anywhere else you can go to get your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It tends to be higher prices where you have a captive market - hence why refreshments on trains, in school canteens, at services etc are higher than average.

The price of a bottle of water is the one that annoys me the most - I've had people try and charge £1.30 for a 50cl bottle of Buxton which is far too much. Solved the problem by just refilling the bottles at home. We have one of those posh-o water filters, so it tastes just as good too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    That would definitely be the location, and how there isn't really anywhere else you can go to get your stuff.
    No, there are loads of shops (mainly supermarkets with cafes) near motorway services. It's just people don't look for them. Tesco actually produces a guide to show which of their shops are near motorways, or there's a website that has everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, there are loads of shops (mainly supermarkets with cafes) near motorway services. It's just people don't look for them. Tesco actually produces a guide to show which of their shops are near motorways, or there's a website that has everything.
    People don't go and look for them - why? Because of location. You got a fricking huge petrol station with everything you need (notably petrol), and so there isn't really anywhere else to go (or, to put it another way, anywhere else you need to go). Depends also on the motorway services, a lot of them don't have many nearby shops at all (if my memory serves me correctly, although I have not been on a British motorway for a while now).

ReputationRep:
    haha any1 ever seen 'falling down'? lets all attack shop keepers that are trying to rip us off :p:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.