Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks guys. you have helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    Could always apply for Biochem with a Year In Management at the Tanaka Business school at Imperial

ReputationRep:
    What are the grade requirements for that. how do you get into it. Do a biochem degree then do it?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm right in saying it's standard entry requirements for straight Biochem, which was ABB when I applied.

You do two years doing Biochem, and the 3rd year doing management. And man management at Imperial is swish. Networking events with free booze at fancy bars, they even give you money to get drunk after exams!

But yeah... its supposedly very good!

ReputationRep:
    wow!! that actually really does sound appealing. Thanks mate, im going to look into that. and if anyone has any information on it, just tell me. thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the Tanaka Business school is HUGELY oversubscribed though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom H)
    In your sig it says your offer is for Mediclinical and Biological Chemistry? Surely that's not Biochemistry.

When I applied for Biochem at Notts in 2004 I got an AAA offer.
    That was my first offer, early last year, I've only just updated my Signature

My firm choice was Nottingham, Biochemistry BBB. With the GCSE's i stated.. and no work experience and a personal statement about chemistry (because i was originally planning on definately going for medicinal chemistry, but changed my mind)

So you should have no problem in getting it, good luck

Kes

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that there's been such a big change in Notts entry requirements in just two years..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom H)
    Interesting that there's been such a big change in Notts entry requirements in just two years..
    yeah, it is. But i heard that if you're predicted lower grades than AAA than they will predict you lower than AAA???

Kes

ReputationRep:
    Is there a lot of animal experiments in biochem. Do you have to do lots of practicals with dead animals?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know whether i want to do biochem or not, maybe i need to wait a bit,study more before thinking about it, but for some of my subjects we've already started revising and others they are rushing with the work we still have to do, so i don't think that is going to give me any more of a definitive answer.
    I like chemistry- organic chem, equilibrium, hess's law etc.
    I also like biology- cardio vascular system, phisiology, learning about haemoglobin structure, etc.
    I'm not so good at practicals in chemistry with a burrette and glass pipette but i suppose i'll get better.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by josie!!!)
    i don't know whether i want to do biochem or not, maybe i need to wait a bit,study more before thinking about it, but for some of my subjects we've already started revising and others they are rushing with the work we still have to do, so i don't think that is going to give me any more of a definitive answer.
    I like chemistry- organic chem, equilibrium, hess's law etc.
    I also like biology- cardio vascular system, phisiology, learning about haemoglobin structure, etc.
    I'm not so good at practicals in chemistry with a burrette and glass pipette but i suppose i'll get better.
    it is hard to make a decision as everything comes up very quickly! from what you've said above i would suggest either a joint honours in bio and chem (possibly more work though), molecular biology or biochem. specifically for biochem i would say do you enjoy the more molecular aspects of biology? it is difficult as topics such as metabolism dont seem that interesting at A level but are much better at uni.

the practical aspect im sure will be fine, with biochem you rarely use burettes to measure, you use automated pipettes instead which are much simpler!

ReputationRep:
    All uni's have dropped their entry requirements by quite a lot! It's because its not popular (no offence!). For example Warwick have dropped from AAB to BBB in biology in 3 years and Southampton are following a similar trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe555)
    All uni's have dropped their entry requirements by quite a lot! It's because its not popular (no offence!). For example Warwick have dropped from AAB to BBB in biology in 3 years and Southampton are following a similar trend.
    For biochem? I seem to remember reading on here a few days ago that there are around 600 applications for 130 places at ICL, that's hardly unpopular is it?:p:

I do wonder why Biochem at ICL requires ABB for A-levels, though, when they require 1.5 in German Abitur (easily the equivilant of AAA), silly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    it is hard to make a decision as everything comes up very quickly! from what you've said above i would suggest either a joint honours in bio and chem (possibly more work though), molecular biology or biochem. specifically for biochem i would say do you enjoy the more molecular aspects of biology? it is difficult as topics such as metabolism dont seem that interesting at A level but are much better at uni.

the practical aspect im sure will be fine, with biochem you rarely use burettes to measure, you use automated pipettes instead which are much simpler!
    Thanks for the advice! I am pleased because i got 3 A's for my january exams, but i think taking 7 exams in june is going to be tough, for some reason my physics teachers decided it would be best to do all 3 exams in june. Bummer!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.