Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s0phie-x)
    Im taking history of art, art, and english for AS level, and I need to choose one more - im thinking of doing either philosophy or history - can anyone help me choose I need to confurm asap!

Philosophy sounds interesting - but history is more traditional, well accepted by unis, etc. However, I think maybe history + history of art might be abit..much.

Pleaaasee any help appriciated ! :

Weeeeell...you're taking history of art and art...so why not take history of art and history?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, or you could do philosophy which might involve philosophy of art, history of philosophy and philosophy of philosophy!

Look at the philosophy D&D forum on the main page and some of the philosophy discussions around. If you find any of them interesting, maybe you'd enjoy it. Though there's only a limited selection so philosophy is not exactly limited to what you'll find here.
    And presumably your College has a prospectus, have a look at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    Hehe, or you could do philosophy which might involve philosophy of art, history of philosophy and philosophy of philosophy!
    I think you overestimate A level exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I studies all three of those in my exams. Not explicitly perhaps, but all were discussed in class and were pertinent to the topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    Not at all, I studies all three of those in my exams. Not explicitly perhaps, but all were discussed in class and were pertinent to the topics.
    Then I think you were very lucky in your class and teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Oh definitely. I had two amazing Philosophy teachers. In fact the entire philosophy department at my college were five of the best teachers I have ever met. Hills Road VI Form College, Cambridge. If you're considering philosophy A-level, consider moving house and school

ReputationRep:
    Phloss is great! I studied epistemology, moral philo and philo of mind...luved them all. You can just get lost forever in discussions and still be no closer to an answer lol...it never ceases to amaze me. I did find studying Ayer's Lang, truth and logic hard though but meh it wouldn't be as fun if there were no challenges.

ReputationRep:
    For me, Philosophy is definately hot. I've loved doing it as part of Religious Studies (my school unfortuantely does not do philosophy as a seperate subject yet) and I'm hoping to do it for a year next year as Lancaster lets you do three subjects in the first year- so yeah, I think Philosophy is great, I love it.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is most definitely hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it. You'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy: I love it!
    I basically chose it because I'm the reckless kind of person who thinks "hmm, that looks good" after reading a paragraph on it.
    But I really came to enjoy it, and I got my best AS mark in it.

Take Philosophy if:
    -You like arguing.
    -You like following threads of arguments.
    -You take a genuine interest in the types of topics you're going to do (I think someone else already outlined them).

In AS I did Theory of Knowledge, Philosophy of Religion and Descartes, and it was good- the Descartes was a bit confusing but it's the kind of thing you can work around.
    If you're wondering what Philosophy's like, try reading anything by Stephen Law (he has cartoons and everything!), or perhaps a textbook like the one by Hamilton - it's hard but it outlines everything you'll study. If you're really keen try reading something by a philosopher, although be warned that very few philosophers are actually good at writing, so you might find them stuffy and inaccessible.

Your best bet is talking to a philosophy teacher or even sitting in on a lesson, because that way you can really get a feel for it and know if you could put up with a year with it.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Laura.

ReputationRep:
    what AS mark did you get Laura. Sorry im unashamedly nosy.

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's ok...I got 263/300.

ReputationRep:
    good stuff good stuff

ReputationRep:
    difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing As philoo, I totally regret it, I find it difficult, I wish took English Language, OR Sociology!!

Theory of knowldege >

Moral Philo>ok, because I can relate certain topics to my A2 Religious Studies

Text=Sartre> Ok, I find it easy working from the text

but Theory Of Knowlegde is scary

ReputationRep:
    Um for theory of knowledge at AS I would recommend Understanding Philosophy for AS Level (the epistemology part) it really has everything you need to get an A. I know its long but go through it, learn it and you'll do well. Also have a look through TSR philosophy one member posted extremely helpful notes that were very good and upto standard. Good luck. You have a month left, more than enough time to prepare. ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epicurus)
    Also have a look through TSR philosophy one member posted extremely helpful notes that were very good and upto standard.
    Just to help: those notes are in a sticky at the top of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    im a final year Law student and i did moral philosophy for my dissertation. i loved it but i couldnt have appreciated it at age 16

i thnk in terms of career it isnt a good subject but in terms of interets it is the best

ReputationRep:
    some parts of it are cool...but i would say not because i believe that questions can never be given a satisfactory answer from man, and that mans reasoning is fallible.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to find out whether you'll enjoy Philosophy or not, then my best advice (being a student who has studied IB Philosophy, taking my exam on thursday :eek:) would be to look for Philosophy: The Basics by Nigel Warburton. Try to flick through a couple of the chapters and get a feel for the areas of different philosophy such as aesthetics, ethics, political, religious etc.

Compare these with the areas of study on your course, because they are often very varied. I know there is a distinct difference between A-Level Philosophy and IB Philosophy. Also worth investing in for refreshing yourself on key-points for exams and as introductions to new ideas.

Hope this helps anyone who might choose philosophy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2007
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.