Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    Birmingham's not safe? Hell, nowhere is safe these days. It's not a good idea to be walking about on your own at 2 in the morning in Pompey either.

Sure there are scummy areas in Birmingham, just like there are scummy areas in Porrtsmouth. But the extent of them is greatly exaggerated. If you actually went to Birmingham you'd be surprised, it's a very clean, attractive, friendly, safe city, as long as you avoid the small parts which are scummy.
    He has got a point, i'm from Portsmouth and there are scummy places, but like any Town you get goodparts and bad parts. saying that i would recommend going to portsmouth, birmingham is way to big and i wasn't really impressed with what i saw. then again before i got there i did get lost in wolverhampton :p:

ReputationRep:
    What i've seen on portsmouth i really like. I've got a m8 hus at uni there n ive stayed with him twice. The nightlife is wkd there!!! This thing is I've only seen bham once and therefore cos i no wot pompey is like am more inclined to chose Pompey as its kind of a safe choice but I think bham will offer me better opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Go wherever you feel is right for you. You shouldn't base your choice on something that someone you don't even know has told you.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with u i jst wanted to hear a few peoples opinions.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Coming from birmingham pompey all the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Red Phoenix*)
    then again before i got there i did get lost in wolverhampton :p:
    Oh you poor, poor thing..

If you ever need to talk about it, or need a shoulder to cry on, I'll always be here..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard-)
    Coming from birmingham pompey all the way
    I'm curious which nightspots in Pompey you think compare to The Works.

I'm guessing you like smaller, more intimate, less urban environments where you know all the faces, because the city centre of Birmingham is just vast with absolutely everything you could want.

Not that Pompey doesn't have it's charm, but it simply doesn't have as much to offer on the same scale that Birmingham does.

It guess it comes down to whether or not you like being a small face in a huge crowd somewhere different day after day, or if you like being a big face in a small crowd in the same places day after day.

I'm more of a fan of huge places and thousands of faces, myself, which is why I prefer Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    If you get reconsidered for pompey n get an offer will u go there?
    What course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimi87)
    If you're fit go to Pompey. If not I don't care where you go.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with spiral architect
    but also
    i've spent a lot of time in birmingham and ****ing hate the city, it's built up over time, i just really dislike the place, you are right the big clubs are cool...but the people in them are ***** so it weighs out.
    i've spent a lot of time in Pompey now and it's like velcro, you get stuck to it. I love it. to enjoy it though, you need to put effort in, you can't have a lazy night where you just roam into any old club and expect it to be banging because you can't be arsed.

plus, if you don't solely go clubbing all the time then you have the sea, the common etc. in pompey. birmingham has err... err... gravy.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with spiral architect
    but also
    i've spent a lot of time in birmingham and ****ing hate the city, it's built up over time, i just really dislike the place, you are right the big clubs are cool...but the people in them are ***** so it weighs out.
    i've spent a lot of time in Pompey now and it's like velcro, you get stuck to it. I love it. to enjoy it though, you need to put effort in, you can't have a lazy night where you just roam into any old club and expect it to be banging because you can't be arsed.

plus, if you don't solely go clubbing all the time then you have the sea, the common etc. in pompey. birmingham has err... err... gravy.

ReputationRep:
    firstly to *sparkler* the accent that people associate with "brummies" is infact a black country accent, and where the uni is etc is not in the black country lol. and also there are sooo many students in bham u cant rele moan bout the accent as there are just so many....
    the nightlife is ace in Birmingham...as i posted in the Birmingham thread....i have also been to portsmouth and it just isnt as good.....just wanted to clear the accent thing up coz being from brum i get that accent all the time and it rele is inaccurate
    good luck with ur choices and stuff
    VOTE BIRMINGHAM =P

ReputationRep:
    Woo!! Black Country Accent!!! It's Bostin'!! I have me one of those!!

But I came to Portsmouth to get the hell out of the Black Country and Birmingham..

ReputationRep:
    meh..

ReputationRep:
    i used to live oppisite to a brummie. the accent didn't really bother me, she was quite nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    I'm curious which nightspots in Pompey you think compare to The Works.

I'm guessing you like smaller, more intimate, less urban environments where you know all the faces, because the city centre of Birmingham is just vast with absolutely everything you could want.

Not that Pompey doesn't have it's charm, but it simply doesn't have as much to offer on the same scale that Birmingham does.

It guess it comes down to whether or not you like being a small face in a huge crowd somewhere different day after day, or if you like being a big face in a small crowd in the same places day after day.

I'm more of a fan of huge places and thousands of faces, myself, which is why I prefer Birmingham.
    Indeed, I dont know the hot spots in pompey for clubs I only seen the places near to the tower. Never actually been in.

I too like the same but I prefer to move on from birmingham now, I like london a lot but pompey is so much more on the lazy side of a place

(Original post by kimi87)
    If your talking of me I applied for a hospitality management with tourism course, worth going to see both uni's if you really can't decide

(Original post by Prad)
    Woo!! Black Country Accent!!! It's Bostin'!! I have me one of those!!

But I came to Portsmouth to get the hell out of the Black Country and Birmingham..
    Noo.. where about are you from? i'm actually from west brom

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Birmingham, but lived in West Brom and then raised in Wolverhampton and went to college in Stourbridge.

I have to say that Portsmouth is definately one heck of a step up from the doom and gloom of the Black Country though. I don't think I'll go back there now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.