Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Make an appointment and then the abortion pill can be perscribed but u have to realise it is not that likely you are pregnent so don't go worrying bout it just get

I am nt sure this is the nicest way to have an abortion though does the baby not come out from inside you dead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Annoyingly the first recent time I had sex was a week ago, so it's too late for the morning after pill.

I might get a pregnancy test later then. Erm... if I'm pregnant, and I get a doctor's appointment sometime this week, will they give me the abortion pill then? I have exams in a few weeks and don't want to be pregnant during them!!
    They won't give you the abortion pill on the day: you are usually advised to wait a few days before they book you in for an abortion so they are sure you aren't rushing into a decision.
    There may also be waiting lists for an abortion, so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    if i were you i'd do a pregnancy test before you start panicing. go and get one now!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. Except this time I have a reason. Ack. And pregnancy tests are so expensive!!
    You can get pg tests cheap online - can't remember where now but will post a link if I can find it.

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly the first recent time I had sex was a week ago, so it's too late for the morning after pill.

I might get a pregnancy test later then. Erm... if I'm pregnant, and I get a doctor's appointment sometime this week, will they give me the abortion pill then? I have exams in a few weeks and don't want to be pregnant during them!!

Assuming you are pregnant, your doctor will refer you to a clinic or a hospital, or if he does not refer people for abortions he will refer you to another doctor who will. You'll be seen within about five days usually to make sure that you are pregnant; then a week later you'll undergo the abortion. Since it's within the first nine weeks, they give you an abortifacient (a drug that induces abortion), mifepristone, and then on a second visit they'll give you prostaglandin to expel the pregnancy. Usually this whole process takes less than three weeks. But do remember that you may not be pregnant, and that you shouldn't worry unnecessarily; just go to see your doctor as soon as possible.

The Family Planning Association has useful advice: http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpnow/index.htm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even anti-abortion, but I don't think you should be considering it when you don't even know if you are pregnant. People seem to assume it is just another form of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry, to refer to your first post, yes you can get pregnant if you are on your period. Yes, you can get pregnant if you miss one day. Although it is a minimal chance, you should get a pregnanct test. You can get one at a doctors for free, or at boots or somewhere for about £8. x

ReputationRep:
    Argh. I'm on the pill, have been for five years. I run packets together usually since my period is heavy. Anyway, stopped taking it on Saturday, had sex all this week (without using condoms - long term relationship), then got a light period on Tuesday - Saturday. Usually I have to change the tampons quite a bit, but this time they weren't even full (sorry, gross I know). So I'm like "where's my period?". There just doesn't seem to have been enough blood. However, you're not supposed to bleed at all when you're pregnant are you?

I skipped a day of the pill a couple weeks ago but I heard that missing a day doesn't change the effectiveness, or does it?

What is the possibility of me being pregnant?

Oh, and just because I might need to know: if I go to the doc, could I get those abortion pills straight away? Would I have to pay? And if I had to have a proper abortion would I have to pay?
    I dont understand, you clearly dont want a baby yet you choose to stop all kind of protection :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    I dont understand, you clearly dont want a baby yet you choose to stop all kind of protection :confused:
    I think she forgot to take the pill, rather than chose to stop it, and habitually doesn't use condoms as she is in a longterm relationship and on the pill.

I didn't stop all kinds of protection. Sometimes we use condoms (especially near periods), and the last one we used actually broke completely! My boyfriend didn't realise. I didn't choose to stop taking the pill, I'm still on it. When I said "stopped taking it" I meant for the week's break, although I missed a day because I thought my period had started and since I run packets together I go by when I get breakthrough bleeding as an indicator regarding when to take the break.

I took a test this morning and it was negative *phew*. I feel really sick and dizzy although I guess that's from worrying. Keep seeing things to do with pregnancy (opened the magazine B to find an article on "what to do if you're pregnant").

Sophieliz, I'm not using abortion as another method of contraception. I use the pill as a method of contraception, and half the time use condoms as well. If the method(s) of contraception fails, what am I supposed to do? Abortion is not an alternative to contraception, it is a solution to failed contraception, and for me and my circumstances, the only solution.

Thanks for the help everyone

So the negative test definitely means I'm not pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    Phew, good news

However ... there is a remote possibility that the negative result is owing to it being to early to tell yet, so it might be prudent to do another one in, say, 2 weeks, or if you notice any pregnancy symptoms (i.e. tender boobs, nausea etc). This is unlikely though, so please don't worry on account of what I've said!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.