Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

At a traffic light do you... watch

• View Poll Results: at trafiic lights what do you do?
    In neutral (handbrake on)
    23.26%
    In gear
    68.60%
    I don't drive but love polls
    8.14%

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if I'm quite far back in the queue, or know that it will take a while to change back to green (big junction with lots of lights, only just gone on red etc) then I put the handbrake on. If I'm in the first couple of cars though, or they will be changing back pretty quickly I just put it in first and wait. Also, bit paranoid about moving off on a hill, so if its a (steep) hill I normally put the handbrake on and find the bite carefully even if I am only stopping for a few seconds!! But I am just very very paranoid about rolling on hills!

ReputationRep:
    i was taught to put it in neutral but i dont now.. i hardly ever even put the handbrake on lol

ReputationRep:
    It depends how long I'm sat there for. In my town centre the lights take AGES so I usually knock it into neutral, but if I'm at pedestrian crossings I usually keep it in gears as I'll be moving soon.

When I was learning I was taught to keep it in gear... I had to stop in the gear I was currently in, apply the handbrake, and then put it into first.

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning, I was always told to put it into neutral with the handbrake on, but since passing I tend to just sit in gear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    This is the precise reason why people should up the handbrake and put it into neutral. This is the correct answer.

However, on the realist side of things, to wear out your clutch by putting your holding it down at the lights will take 70000 miles :p:

My clutch gets enough hammering so I do every thing I can to prolong it's life. (apart from the hammering of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathie86)
    But I am just very very paranoid about rolling on hills!
    Me too, for absolutely no reason. I have been driving for years yet each and every hill I stop on I still get slightly worried. I have never, not once that I can remember, stalled or done a bad hill start. I have never fallen backwards and my technique is as good or better than anybody else's! I think I need counseling about it If I had something to worry about I would understand but it's a completely irrational fear.

My most hated two - since you're from Nottm you might know - are Queen's street onto London road near the train station and Arnold Lane onto Plains Road/Woodborough Road. Probably mean nothing to you but it might.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Depends. But if I am in neutral, I get in gear when I see the amber light
    Yeah, the light change sequence gives you plenty of time to get into gear, and you don't want to be rolling forwards/backwards if there's any slope.

ReputationRep:
    Before i passed i always went into neutral and put the handbrake on. I usually just sit with my foot on the cluth nowadays :-( very naughty, its really bad for the clutch...i sometimes feel guilty cos i drive my mums car and she pays everything so then i put into neutral!!

ReputationRep:
    It is funny that I have been taught to only put into nautrual in extreme circumstances i.e if it obvious you're not going to be moving for a few minutes.

In some ways I find it easier to go into nautrual though because some times I get nervius and my feet shake, if this happens in the traffics the result may be rather tragic

ReputationRep:
    My instructor said before it was by law that you had to put in neutral and hand break on.
    But not anymore, I just leave it in gear, with handbrake on.
    Or if my feet hurt, I might just put it in neutral with handbreak on, only if it's a long que or something.

ReputationRep:
    I think the moral of the story is that there is no set rule/law. Every instructor has taught you his/her own personal preference. So, just do what you feel comfortable doing.

So, we get the idea now.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you wana wear your clutch out go ahead :yy:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Me too, for absolutely no reason. I have been driving for years yet each and every hill I stop on I still get slightly worried. I have never, not once that I can remember, stalled or done a bad hill start. I have never fallen backwards and my technique is as good or better than anybody else's! I think I need counseling about it If I had something to worry about I would understand but it's a completely irrational fear.

My most hated two - since you're from Nottm you might know - are Queen's street onto London road near the train station and Arnold Lane onto Plains Road/Woodborough Road. Probably mean nothing to you but it might.
    If you think they're bad, trying drining on the country lanes from Radcliffe on Trent into Shelford! Or go a bit further and go to near Belvoir Castle. My dad made me do that when I was a very new learner, and it was chucking it down with rain.

ReputationRep:
    I know they're not bad but they're the ones that I get most worried about - completely irrationally! A week after passing I drove to Harrogate to see my nanny and we went into a little village with a single lane road down a huge hill, was crazy. Half way down a large courier van was coming the opposite way and I had to reverse up this hill about 100m, maybe that's why I hate hills it was such a hassle!

As I say, those two examples are just ones I dislike each time I face, for no real reason. I think it's the only aspect of driving i dislike but I am fine, counseling for me

ReputationRep:
    Handbrake- What's that?

I haven't used the handbrake for agees- well except for when i park.

Even in my test I was at the front of the line at some lights going up a rather steep hill, when the lights went green I momentarily went to release the handbrake- then remembered I hadn't put it on.

My clutch and I have an understanding

ReputationRep:
    Your clutch will be wearing out, it's not hard to ride the clutch but it is damaging.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, but she's brand new and I wont be keeping her for more than a couple of years.

Was driving with a friend in his A3, when his clutch went. We had to drive 15 miles in 1st, without going over 1500 rpm. Good times, good times. That car is so abused!

ReputationRep:
    Why couldn't you go over 1500rpm?

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what my instructor told me to do, but he was at the stricter end of the spectrum for most other questions asked on here so I presume it was handbrake and neutral.

Now, I usually leave it in gear and foot on brake unless a)it's night, so my brake lights aren't in the person behind me's eyes. b)it's on a hill, so I don't slip or anything c) I'm tired and don't want to sit there holding the clutch for ages.

My car isn't too keen on being put into first anyway so I keep it in gear when I can!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.