Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: It sounds great fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrawuk)
    When I did used to go I'd sometimes end up teaching the class!
    Lol, I helped people in my class too lol! The teacher was so slow coming round to check on everyone, my mates came to ask me questions.

If you have been asleep for the last 10 years and know nothing about using computers, you may find key skills helpful (if teacher is good that is), but otherwise, I think it's a waste of time.

I had to "do" AQA ICT Key Skills. Exam - passed without revision. Portfolio... :confused: ok I didn't complete the portfolio. I did IT GCSE and did enough IT coursework for that. I needed to concentrate on getting A in AS Physics Chemistry Biology and Maths (which I did :-). Key Skills was a complete waste of time, the little effort I did expend on starting a portfolio.

Summary: joke.

ReputationRep:
    Its quite unlikely a uni will accept it but if they do and your short and points then its worth while.

The only thing I did to pass "Communication level 3" was read an article to myself and turn up to the exam. Didn't bother with discussions, made up my sources by editing wikipedia, made up a note to get out of the presentation which she actually bought, and printed off a powerpoint presentation off the internet and gave her that.

ReputationRep:
    It depends...

If the unis youre applying to will ask yu for UCAS points as opposed to specific grades, then you might as well since they may take key skills as 20 points.

However, if youre applying to the more prestigious unis which cite specific grades as entry requirements, then theres no point, its not worth anything to you then as they wont even look at it.

ReputationRep:
    My college made me take ICT key skills last year despite the fact that I was also taking Computing AS and having done GCSE ICT and getting AA. I pointed out to them that the AS was actually a better qualification but no I still had to attend because it 'might just help you get into uni'. Well, being as all my offers have turned out to be grade offers rather than points, yes, for me it was a complete and utter waste of time.

And, no, I'm not bitter at all.

ReputationRep:
    I see exactly what you're all saying, and I suppose most of the folks on here will be going onto uni. It is worth remembering though, that if in the future you ever wish to do a vocational qualification (e.g. if you become employed by the Council) it is mandatory to do Key Skills. Many workplaces now require them anyway. (I should know, I'm the poor sod that has to go out and deliver them!)

So, if it's so easy, why not just do it and get it over with?

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    They are the most pointless waste of time I could imagine. I spent more time on communication than on my AS's in maths and the sciences!!!!! A word of advice though - if you're forced to do them like us, GET THEM DONE FAST - don't put it off. The sooner you're out of those lessons the better...

Michael
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They are completely bizarre...the marking for the exam was crazy. People failed who are probably gonna get an A for English Lit! Its even more annoying that most uni's don't count the points you get!

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form started to make us do key skills during general studies lessons. They made us take a few notes, do a little presentation, but then they set an essay and not a single person did it and it was just forgotten about. If even MY sixth form doesn't take key skills seriously, it's highly unlikely anybody else will.

ReputationRep:
    When do we actually get to find out our key skills result? I did it in AS and presumed I'd get the result at the end of AS but I never did and noone ever mentioned it again. Do we get it on our A2 results ? I bloody hope so because it was the most tedious, pointless thing I've had to do.

ReputationRep:
    We're not forced to but if you do English, Maths or ICT for A level at my school, you have to complete the portfolio work and then you'd get the UCAS points without having to sit the exam. I bet it's going to be tedious..

ReputationRep:
    they are just about as useless as General Studies.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by zoea85)
    When do we actually get to find out our key skills result? I did it in AS and presumed I'd get the result at the end of AS but I never did and noone ever mentioned it again. Do we get it on our A2 results ? I bloody hope so because it was the most tedious, pointless thing I've had to do.
    I got mine when I got my AS results. You should chase that up if they don't appear on your A2 results!

ReputationRep:
    Key skills should be scrapped, along with that annoying ebay advert to the right of this forum :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Complete and utter joke.

apparently its only worth 10ums points.

i was expectng a grade for it, i didnt get anything nor did anyone in our school. waste of time and effort

so its not a joke but more than that due to its worthless nature

ReputationRep:
    A complete unfunny joke. It should only be given to the spazzers.

ReputationRep:
    It's compulsary at our school, we have 1 lesson a week on it. I think we'll be seeing it as more of an opportunity just to do homework and studying for our actual subjects rather than a chance to re-learn something we learnt five years ago.

ReputationRep:
    eurgh, is there any way to get out of it?

ReputationRep:
    They're a giant pain in the arse!

I think they're useful if you didn't get a C or above in English/Maths/IT, but otherwise I think they're pretty pointless - short of an extra 10 UCAS points that most Uni's don't accept anyway.

ReputationRep:
    well i am doing it as i messed with my gcse...well i tutor said that it is same as gcse before uni ignored it but now they do take it...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.