Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine without Biology AS/A2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems so. Afaik (you'd have to email UCAS to check the details), universities will see the results of every module you've sat, including re-takes (up to when you send off your form), so can see which you've done more than once. It's not certain which universities will want to see module marks though and since it's the first year they'll be able to see them, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Edit: Ooooh, 500 posts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    It seems so. Afaik (you'd have to email UCAS to check the details), universities will see the results of every module you've sat, including re-takes (up to when you send off your form), so can see which you've done more than once. It's not certain which universities will want to see module marks though and since it's the first year they'll be able to see them, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Edit: Ooooh, 500 posts!
    Congratulations! :congrats: :gthumb: :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Congratulations! :congrats: :gthumb: :yy:
    Thanks! Not a patch on your 4000-odd though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Not a patch on your 4000-odd though!
    Ah, it's nothing much.

ReputationRep:
    Biology As/A2 isn't essential at all (eg Oxford only ask for Chemistry).
    Although for the first time (as far as i remember! :p: ) they've made comment on this with their new 2006 stats blurb:

(Original post by http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/applying/assessingchances)
    Note that despite the fact that many people take it, Biology is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS level). Be aware that not having A level Biology is associated with a greater risk of having difficulty at the early stages of the course (and other medical courses).

Agreeing with the gist of replies here - if you con't dislike biology & think you could do reasonably well then i'd recommend taking it up. If you're doing maths & chemistry then i don't think you'd find it any harder conceptually - for me it was by far the easiest of the sciences in content but there was so much content that was the issue! hmm...parallels to preclinical medicine!

Not because it's necessary, but will probably make life slightly easier in terms of choice & the course once you start...

ReputationRep:
    I would do it, AS is a bit of a slog, but A2 you get into more meaty stuff, like more human stuff. Talking to current Imperial med students on my work experience recently they said that it would definately help. I really don't understand why they want chemistry as it seems like you don't use it ever in the course...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.