Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looks can be deceiving. Badock's is just amazing - it feels so warm and welcoming, but also like a drinking hole, but somewhere you can chat and get druuuunk and sit and have a coke or anything. HB's is alright, but it feels like a bit of a converted room that someone's just slapped a space-age bar in the corner.

Also the bar at HB is too short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    Looks can be deceiving. Badock's is just amazing - it feels so warm and welcoming, but also like a drinking hole, but somewhere you can chat and get druuuunk and sit and have a coke or anything. HB's is alright, but it feels like a bit of a converted room that someone's just slapped a space-age bar in the corner.

Also the bar at HB is too short.
    Steve's correct there. When Badock bar is full the atmosphere is electric compared to the other bars in Stoke Bishop.

Plus, Badock bar is the cheapest in Stoke Bishop. The difference is only marginal compared with Hiatt Baker but still - pints for a pound, double mixers for 2 pound? - makes drinking easier and cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, Hiatt Baker have a very good bar. But everyone not at Hiatt Baker - people from Durdham, Wills, UH and Badock itself all seem to agree that Badock bar is the best.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at HB and even i think badock bar is the best. Though i do believe them to be similar.

With regard to prices, i believe in badock pints are from a pound, quite a few are more. But this is a permenent price.

At hiatt baker we have happy hour, where i think MORE pints are £1 (not all are). But this obviously is only an hour and after that drinks go to abotu £1.50.

Anyway, HB isn't allways more expensive - its sometimes cheaper for some drinks. Though i do concede on the whole badock is slightly cheaper

Badock does indeed have a good atmosphere, and i think the furnishings are better. Comfier chairs (but less) and the dart board is a decent addition. You also have a greater variety of drinks. Well, more beers anyway

Hiatt baker's atmosphere is just as buzzing on a busy night and i think they are probably fairly similar in how often they are busy. But badock is more welcoming, HB is slighltly clinical (but then thats kinda the look it was going for)..

For badock they (IMO) have tried to fit too much into too small a space. The pool table gets right in the way, and i imagine its a nightmare to play on a busy night. All the chairs lead a crushing corridor of people leading to the bar. HB suffers from this less as it is bigger and also has less massive sofas using up valuable standing (and drinking) space..

HB also has a table football table (free) for what its worth.

Theres my review of both bars.

HB - 90% Badock 95%

:beerglass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    For badock they (IMO) have tried to fit too much into too small a space. The pool table gets right in the way, and i imagine its a nightmare to play on a busy night. All the chairs lead a crushing corridor of people leading to the bar. HB suffers from this less as it is bigger and also has less massive sofas using up valuable standing (and drinking) space..
    I would agree Badock bar is definately too small for the number of people it attracts. However, i think that's one of the main reasons why the atmosphere is so good.

Admittedly, it does get hot and getting served can, on the very very busy nights, be a pain in the arse - but still, the way in which that small(ish) space is full of people chatting, drinking, joking (along with the music and UV lights and stuff) makes the atmosphere electric.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of putting Badock as my first choice and HB as my second - does it make sense to do that with the application numbers for each? Also what are the bedrooms [and bathrooms] like at Badock? Can't seem to find any pics anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildelectricity)
    I was thinking of putting Badock as my first choice and HB as my second - does it make sense to do that with the application numbers for each? Also what are the bedrooms [and bathrooms] like at Badock? Can't seem to find any pics anywhere.
    I really don't think it matters either way. If you put Badock as your first choice - you'll get in, no problems.

I'll post a picture of my room later if i can find one. Should be working right now so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_D)
    I really don't think it matters either way. If you put Badock as your first choice - you'll get in, no problems.

I'll post a picture of my room later if i can find one. Should be working right now so...
    Oooh thanks Yeah, I figure I should be working too right now otherwise I wont end up in Bristol at all

ReputationRep:
    Would it be risky to stick Badock as my insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k_lash)
    Would it be risky to stick Badock as my insurance?
    Not in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    if I had to choose again I would put hiatt baker, just cus I like the way its layed out and everyone iv met from there has been lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm put HB as first choice and Badock as second, someone told me that HB food sucked. Food being a very important part of my life i was very worried, but I guess it isn't that bad..

Right?

Anyway cheers to everyone who gave information on HB it's putting my fears to rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redserene)
    Hmm put HB as first choice and Badock as second, someone told me that HB food sucked. Food being a very important part of my life i was very worried, but I guess it isn't that bad..

Right?

Anyway cheers to everyone who gave information on HB it's putting my fears to rest.
    Same really, this thread is really encouraging.

I'm not too bothered if the pints are £1.50 at HB, I'm used to paying over £3 a lot in London pubs. £1.50 is brilliant....the best I can manage is £1.65 for Carlsberg in this really awful pub...I digress.

Bar, food and people all sound really good. More people should apply to Badock and HB it seems to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redserene)

Right?

Well, in all catered halls there will be people who "hate" the food. There are allways gonna be fussy people are people with peculiar tastes.

On the whole HB has a reputation for good food :confused: and its badock that people allways seem to moan about.

I personally loved HB food, because most of the time the portions are huge and you don't go hungry. They also do lots of really nice meals. In every week there would usually be 4 "nice" meals. 2 "ok" and one "crap". Occuring on different days.

I loved not knowing what was going to be cooked, and just walking in and getting it. Its something i'm gonna miss.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.