Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just got a speeding ticket watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my mate got a speeding fine, she has been stopped twice now! :eek: she has only been driving for two months!

that will probably never happen to me, i am rarely above 20 without getting panic attacks

ReputationRep:
    You can still be a safe driver over the speed limit, I'm not denying that.

But as it's against the law, you shouldn't be suprised if you get clocked and pulled over by the police. It's their job, after all.

I think the reactions of some in this thread are extreme. I also think the reaction to getting a ticket is a bit extreme too. Annoyance at the cost, yes. But ultimately, if you know you were over the limit, it's just something you have to accept. Without berating the people just doing their job in a sweary way.

ReputationRep:
    Well, can't be helped. I'll say I don't think speeding has as many links to safety as people say it does; but yeah, you got busted so just grit your teeth and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    What reason did they give for pulling you?

If they say they saw you speeding, then the chances are you can easily get off the 3 points or possibly 4 (whatever speed you done).
    They will no doubt then say they used a device to clock your speed. They don't normally give details on the form of how they have caught you, but 9/10 it was just by observing unless its roadside traffic cops.
    They had the speed gun there, and showed me it.

They just said 'Do you know what the speed limit is?'

I said '40?'

'30, this speed gun shows that you were doing -50mph, the - is because we were behind you at the time and you were going away from us, and the 866 is how far away you were when we clocked that speed'

Then just went through the formalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I thought the limit was 40mph when it was 30mph, doesn't matter, as they caught me doing 50mph, apparantly.

:shrug: Looks like you were just unlucky this time. Loads of people go over by 10mph and get away with it.

Mind you, you were more than you thought over the speed limit and ignorance is no defence here..

Pay the fine, accept that you were being a bit naughty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    my mate got a speeding fine, she has been stopped twice now! :eek: she has only been driving for two months!

that will probably never happen to me, i am rarely above 20 without getting panic attacks
    Personally people like you shouldn't be allowed to drive then, as you seem way to nervous and are probably dangerous as a result and also you cause people to overtake you which is also dangerous. Please tell me your not one of these people that can't drive on motorways either?

ReputationRep:
    They had the speed gun there, and showed me it.

They just said 'Do you know what the speed limit is?'

I said '40?'

'30, this speed gun shows that you were doing -50mph, the - is because we were behind you at the time and you were going away from us, and the 866 is how far away you were when we clocked that speed'

Then just went through the formalities.
    Oh well - go home, have a pint, and another and another, curse the police and then accept it. Police just doing their job by the sounds of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    You can still be a safe driver over the speed limit, I'm not denying that.

But as it's against the law, you shouldn't be suprised if you get clocked and pulled over by the police. It's their job, after all.

I think the reactions of some in this thread are extreme. I also think the reaction to getting a ticket is a bit extreme too. Annoyance at the cost, yes. But ultimately, if you know you were over the limit, it's just something you have to accept. Without berating the people just doing their job in a sweary way.
    Yep, I'm in the wrong, just very angry that I've got a £60 fine when I'm about £100 away from maxing my overdraft, and I've living on oats and eggs for the past month to try and save money. Hence the anger. Though you're right, its my fault, and they are just doing their job.

Luckily it's been 2 years since I passed my test, otherwise I woulda lost my licence, thats 6 points now. Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm in the wrong, just very angry that I've got a £60 fine when I'm about £100 away from maxing my overdraft, and I've living on oats and eggs for the past month to try and save money. Hence the anger. Though you're right, its my fault, and they are just doing their job.

Luckily it's been 2 years since I passed my test, otherwise I woulda lost my licence, thats 6 points now. Brilliant.
    Without wishing to worsen your day even more - the ***** is the effect it has on your insurance premium.

I can empathise bud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Without wishing to worsen your day even more - the ***** is the effect it has on your insurance premium.

I can empathise bud.
    Not a lot. Every twit in the country nearly has 3 points except me somehow :hmmmm2:
    Insurance companies don't think much of 3 points, but seeing as the OP has got 6, it might well kill him :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    If it bumps it up too much I'm just gonna get rid of the ****ing car, can't be bothered with this **** anymore !
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is that you in your pic? If so, you're kinda cute. I always imagined you as ugly! (I have no idea why)

ReputationRep:
    lol, thanks alot, yes its me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    *adds to list of people to flirt with*

ReputationRep:
    Don't do the whole internet thing luv, sorry.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't do the whole internet thing luv, sorry.
    Well, don't tell anyone but I'm actually engaged to Mark and live with him and I've seen the most gorgeous wedding dress and I Mark's mum says she'll buy me expensive shoes!

ReputationRep:
    That's the worst flirting I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be lying if I said I was gutted, Juno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley710)
    Personally people like you shouldn't be allowed to drive then, as you seem way to nervous and are probably dangerous as a result and also you cause people to overtake you which is also dangerous. Please tell me your not one of these people that can't drive on motorways either?
    No need for the aggressive tone, it's a girl you were talking to. I've read lots of your posts, you're a bully with a girls name.

The driving test will discriminate whether she can drive. It's better that someone drives within their comfort zone, rather than push themselves and make mistakes. I'm sure the poster was exaggerating when she said 20, but some people don't like going fast! I don't go above 70 on motorways!!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    No need for the aggressive tone, it's a girl you were talking to. I've read lots of your posts, you're a bully with a girls name.

The driving test will discriminate whether she can drive. It's better that someone drives within their comfort zone, rather than push themselves and make mistakes. I'm sure the poster was exaggerating when she said 20, but some people don't like going fast! I don't go above 70 on motorways!!:p:
    I thought you were one of these people that is all for equality and fairness etc then you go and say something like that, shame really. Also, doesn't the 2nd highlighted bit sort of contradict your point in saying that I'm a bully, by making fun of me?

I agree that people shouldn't be pushed outside of their comfort zones, as thats when accidents do occur, however, I do feel that people should be comfortable at driving to the speed limit, and that includes 70mph on motorways

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.