Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PCOS query watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)

what on earth is a endocrinologist!?!?
    A doctor who specializes in diseases relating to hormones.

ReputationRep:
    aaaaawww thanks!

to the OP; have you seen a doc yet?

What other symptoms are there of PCOS?

When I was around 14 (im 18 now), I had a lot of problems with my ovarys. Its a very long story but I kept getting large ovarian systs which kept geting my right ovary caught and twisted. I had 5 operations in total because it kept recurring and they wernt sure if theyd be able to save my right ovary because it got strangulated a few times.

I saw lots of gyneocologists at the Portland hospital who refered me onto a guy who taught them, who thankfully managed to fix things and thanks to him I still have my right ovary. They mentioned the possiblity of PCOS a few times, but nothing was really conclusive. They also mentioned about putting me on the pill quite a few times, but my parents didn't want me to because I was young and because of the associated side affects.

But since then I have had quite a few problems. For about 3 years after I kept getting extremely bad stomach pains and sickness and strange symptoms every so often and I had a scan quite a few times which showed I had a syst that had burst because they could see all the goo (ewww, lovely!!). Anyways, in the past year thats been a lot better. However, I often wonder wether I do have PCOS but I dont really have any of the symptoms. I dont know.. I just know somethings not right? - But I could just be paraniod. Like my periods are now 3 days long (they used to be around 6) and I have no sex drive whatso ever. My mates keep telling me my sex drive will come when its ready but at the back of my head im worried that theres something wrong?! I guess when youve had major problems with something your always going to be worrying about it

And as the OP said, Im scared to see the dr because I dont want her to think im some kinda hypocondriact!!

I know none of you are doctors but I was just wondering your thoughts because some of you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And as the OP said, Im scared to see the dr because I dont want her to think im some kinda hypocondriact!!
    If you've already have 5 operations for it, they'll know you're NOT imagining it!

ReputationRep:
    What other symptoms are there of PCOS?

When I was around 14 (im 18 now), I had a lot of problems with my ovarys. Its a very long story but I kept getting large ovarian systs which kept geting my right ovary caught and twisted. I had 5 operations in total because it kept recurring and they wernt sure if theyd be able to save my right ovary because it got strangulated a few times.

I saw lots of gyneocologists at the Portland hospital who refered me onto a guy who taught them, who thankfully managed to fix things and thanks to him I still have my right ovary. They mentioned the possiblity of PCOS a few times, but nothing was really conclusive. They also mentioned about putting me on the pill quite a few times, but my parents didn't want me to because I was young and because of the associated side affects.

But since then I have had quite a few problems. For about 3 years after I kept getting extremely bad stomach pains and sickness and strange symptoms every so often and I had a scan quite a few times which showed I had a syst that had burst because they could see all the goo (ewww, lovely!!). Anyways, in the past year thats been a lot better. However, I often wonder wether I do have PCOS but I dont really have any of the symptoms. I dont know.. I just know somethings not right? - But I could just be paraniod. Like my periods are now 3 days long (they used to be around 6) and I have no sex drive whatso ever. My mates keep telling me my sex drive will come when its ready but at the back of my head im worried that theres something wrong?! I guess when youve had major problems with something your always going to be worrying about it

I know none of you are doctors but I was just wondering your thoughts because some of you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks xxxxxx
    If you click here http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/what_is_pcos.html there is a list of some of the symptoms, but all the books I've read about it stress that you don't need all the symptoms to be present for a diagnosis.

Doctors have become much more aware of it in the last few years so don't worry about your GP thinking you're a wacko for raising concerns about it. When I was diagnosed I had a fab GP who was really interested in the subject so I got excellent treatment and the symptoms are under control now and have been for a couple of years.

I wouldn't read too many websites about it though, I did when I got back from the hospital and was hysterical at the thought of the related conditions I "could" develop because of PCOS.

I'm going to definitely see the doctors soon, just to have those questions answered. P.S I'm posting anon because my boyfriend is on this board sometimes and I don't want him to worry unnecessarily with talk of doctors and blood tests I'm not worried about the process myself now though.

Thanks so much for your helpful replies - you've definitely put me more at ease!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to definitely see the doctors soon, just to have those questions answered. P.S I'm posting anon because my boyfriend is on this board sometimes and I don't want him to worry unnecessarily with talk of doctors and blood tests I'm not worried about the process myself now though.

Thanks so much for your helpful replies - you've definitely put me more at ease!
    no problem

I had an ultrasound scan because I had erratic and very heavy and and painful periods, and they found cysts, but then nothing happened. I've changed doctors since then as I started uni, and although the periods aren't as erratic, they're still heavy and painful.

Is it worth getting it checked again (this was 2 years ago) ?

And also, someone mentionned an 'internal examination' - is this necessary, and if so, how bad is it?

ReputationRep:
    I had an ultrasound scan because I had erratic and very heavy and and painful periods, and they found cysts, but then nothing happened. I've changed doctors since then as I started uni, and although the periods aren't as erratic, they're still heavy and painful.

Is it worth getting it checked again (this was 2 years ago) ?

And also, someone mentionned an 'internal examination' - is this necessary, and if so, how bad is it?
    I would go and be checked by a new doctor perhaps ask for a gynaecologist referral.

Never had internal so don't know what they're like, but they'll only do one if they need to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.