Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    I was wondering about this myself as well. Is there anywhere within the Uni' that you can watch football matches (i.e. do they get shown at the bar?), or would you have to walk into town to watch them in a pub?

Also, about the football teams. I'm good, but not that good. So I very much doubt I will get into the Team Bath Football team (actually, make that impossible). Are there any inter-hall competitions and the like for the more casual players? And are the football pitches available all the time, so that if you want to go and have a kick about you can do so?

Thanks .
    the su bar shows big matches usually, but a lot of the time you can ask and get channels changed if no one else is watching anything.
    parade bar shows big big matches only, i think.

yeah there are ARSE leagues (associated residence something something) where you play other houses and stuff. i imagine the football society has casual games. the astros are free to play on, but theyre usually gone quickly - but that doesnt matter. if you live in westwood, theres a fairly large green bit just before the golf course, and for eastwood/marl+sols theres the pitches at the side.

ReputationRep:
    To anyone already at Bath: I noticed that the uni doesn't have a road cycling club, so was just wondering if there was any sorta cycling going on at all? Have any of you seen any 'road' cyclists (ie. cycling shorts, racing bikes etc.) around Bath Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    the su bar shows big matches usually, but a lot of the time you can ask and get channels changed if no one else is watching anything.
    parade bar shows big big matches only, i think.

yeah there are ARSE leagues (associated residence something something) where you play other houses and stuff. i imagine the football society has casual games. the astros are free to play on, but theyre usually gone quickly - but that doesnt matter. if you live in westwood, theres a fairly large green bit just before the golf course, and for eastwood/marl+sols theres the pitches at the side.
    Thats nice to hear.. i mite not b good enough to get in the main football team so da ARSE league is good as a backup coz i surely wanna play some sorta competitive football..
    Oh by the way how much do joining these societies cost? How much is the cost for joining the golf society please? Thanx

ReputationRep:
    No Turkish Society?

I'm definetly joining the Duke of Edinburgh Award Society. It's the only chance for me to finish my award. Stupid school isn't letting me go on my qualifying expedition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elondra)
    No Turkish Society?
    If you get together enough members, you can start one yourself

ReputationRep:
    Are there more than 30 Turkish people at Bath?

ReputationRep:
    I'm remotely interested in...

Societies:
    Bath Forum (Debating) - could be fun, and informative :p:
    Bath Orthodox Student Society - if by orthodox they mean religion i'm in
    Bath University Film Society - ooh yes I hope it's not for Film Studies students only
    Bath University Philosophical Society - prob filled with Philosophes, but who cares I like philisophy! :rolleyes:
    Chess and Board Games Society - might skip that one actually I'm not that good anyway
    Chocolate Society - yum! there is one at every university :p:
    German Society - it's not for Germans only righ? Loooove German
    KEYNED (Economics Society) - ooh yes loooooove Economics too
    Russian Society - well I'm Russian count me in

Clubs:
    Badminton Club - it's about the only sport I can play properly :p:
    Ballroom Dancing - because I can't dance and would like to very much
    Canoe - I always wanted to get into one, but I'll probably change my mind a 1000 times
    Hot Air Ballooning - WOW I want to do that
    Skydiving & Parachute - I thought it's the same thing... would love to do that once at least! Bet I'll chicken out though. :rolleyes:
    Tennis - another sport that I can sort of play :p:

oh-oh, it's too much isn't it? Well we'll see at the Freshers week

ReputationRep:
    ^ Seconded. You can do two clubs in my opinion. You won't have time for any more than that.

Societies are a bit more flexible but I'd still only join a couple. You need to balance work, going out getting rat arsed, doing sports/societies stuff, and living in general (ie shopping, cooking, laundry etc).

ReputationRep:
    Thirded!

Although some societies do barely anything, I reckon they're just supposed to sound cool. Like ChocSoc.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I know... It's not realistic. It's just basically all of my interests listed :p:, even the slightest ones. But still, if there are at least 30 people in each society, there will be many people in Bath who share my interests And that's a reason 101 why I want to go to Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningwings)
    Justin..teaching people maths? How is that? Id like to teach people sociology!!
    lol! teaching is actually fun you know as long as you are good & confident at the subject!for me, i've discovered a lot of new things that I never knew even existed & since I was once an A-level student myself,I seem to understand how my students want to be explained! & I always get to boss around them which isnt something that I get to do often in my life!

my advice would be ... go for teaching if you've got the time & ofcourse if you can get students!:p: it's a much better part-time job than being a data operator or typist or something!
    (Original post by burningwings)
    WOW that's alot of clubs. Jack0's right you know..it'll be pretty expensive!! Alot of dance though.. I used to do dance :P Grade 1 tap.. lol! (I was 4)
    good for you! you can always change that "I used to dance" to "I dance ... " at Bath... it's never too late & it's guaranteed fun
    (Original post by Jack0)
    lol, you know thats gonna cost you loads of money Justin? You can't join societies or clubs for free and some of them cost money to do - all the dancing ones cost money as well as horse riding and the motor club.
    I know ... I know I'll have to compromise my interests ... but don't they give any scholarships or something if you are good at it?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    I'm remotely interested in...

Clubs:
    Badminton Club - it's about the only sport I can play properly :p:
    Ballroom Dancing - because I can't dance and would like to very much
    excellent! I'm also *good* at playing badminton! maybe we'll have a freshers singles or doubles competition there!!
    about dancing... well all you need to dance is the spirit .. the intention to dance! so thumbs up for your desire to join the ballroom dancing club!
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    oh-oh, it's too much isn't it? Well we'll see at the Freshers week
    nah not too much if you compare with the draft list that I produced on the first page of this thread! :p: but yes, we'll see at the fresher's week.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tanusha-tomsk]I'm remotely interested in...

Societies:

Tennis - another sport that I can sort of play :p:

Ofcourse u can play tennis! Ur Russian..

ReputationRep:
    Mountain bike club
    University air squadron
    Kick boxing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhdb13)
    To anyone already at Bath: I noticed that the uni doesn't have a road cycling club, so was just wondering if there was any sorta cycling going on at all? Have any of you seen any 'road' cyclists (ie. cycling shorts, racing bikes etc.) around Bath Uni?
    One of my friends does some sort of cycling - I'm not sure what though! maybe mountain biking? Anyway he's always cycling around campus in his lycra and going off to competitons, lol.

Lacrosse is a great club to join because a) there're always loads of beginners so it's not at all competitive and b) there's a huge social life. I joined a few clubs but ran out of time for all of them with lacrosse. Definitely worth thinkin about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forza_milan)
    Ofcourse u can play tennis! Ur Russian..
    You are mistaken! I've only played 5 times in school (never in Russia - very expensive), and I'm not that good - although many people have said I'm "amasing" for someone who hasn't played, I don't believe them!!! They were just trying to make me feel better :p:

(Original post by Justintabib)
    excellent! I'm also *good* at playing badminton! maybe we'll have a freshers singles or doubles competition there!!
    about dancing... well all you need to dance is the spirit .. the intention to dance! so thumbs up for your desire to join the ballroom dancing club!
    We'll see
    I will definitely join Ballroom dancing, now that I've seen a movie about it "Take the lead"

ReputationRep:
    So how often do these clubs meet up and do stuff? Is it at the weekend or whenever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluesMan)
    So how often do these clubs meet up and do stuff? Is it at the weekend or whenever?
    It depends on the club! I think things like the Chocolate Soc and Veggie Soc only meet very occasionally on the other hand ballroom and lacrosse have about 3 practices a week!

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of you future freshers will do the same as what I did this year, some of you worse. I ended up joining 6 things, cant remember what it cost me, musta been at least £50, and then only doing 2 sports

Rowing - Actually went to this all year, good club, hard work and gym needed, very tight to get into the team
    Jitsu - Great club, learnt loads of things, going to be treasurer next year
    Squash - Went to the fresher presessionals, was quite good, too many members for the amount of courts in my opinion, but still should have gone, but never went again
    Wine Society - Wanted to turn into a wine expert like my boss at the restaurant
    Debating Society - Their slogan is "if you enjoy argueing then this is the society for you", I never ended up going to the first session
    Philosophy Society - I went to one session, it was very way over my head, i prefer easy philosophy, not real hard stuff!

All in all, I think that 2 sports clubs have pushed me with my time management. I mean, Jitsu is 3 evening sessions a week as standard, but quite a few often do 6 sessions a week if they go to town club and bristol. Rowing is what you make it, there is 2 water sessions a week, 2 circuits sessions and also the many hours you have to go to the gym. All this while I had to do all my course as well, maybe shows why im not going to get a very good mark this year. Next year I am just going to do jitsu, and I maybe might join the wine society and go to it this time.

So my advice is, join a few more than you think you will be able to do, then go to the ones you enjoy. Because sports and societies will form part of your social circle if you go regulary. I mean my social circle is, people from solsbury I have met, people from my course, people from rowing and jitsu. And you also meet their friends as well, so its all a big meeting people thing, while learning a lot to do with your sport/society.

ReputationRep:
    heya i wanna do trampolioning for def, cus i did it unitl iwas about 15 or 16, but also wanted to do a martial arts (or mayb just another spoert i guees) can anyone recommend anything either from experience of bath or just that the sports fun!!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.