Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why do people swear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Using a swear word is like a punch in the face, but obviously the effectiveness depends on how often you swear during normal conversation anyway.

I swear too often but am trying to come up with cuddlier alternatives; like poop instead of sh*t. Any better ideas?
    "Shoot"

(Original post by Profesh)
    B*llocks.
    Not your usual articulate and verbose self today then, dear?

ReputationRep:
    I swear like a trooper Its just a really bad habit. You do it when your younger thinking its cool and then it just becomes part of your vocabulary. Thats the case for me anyways.

ReputationRep:
    i hardly ever swear

ReputationRep:
    Why swear? Why not?

ReputationRep:
    coming from the words of a ten year old....swearing helps get my anger out...my sister hasn't heard the last of it for swearing last night lol

ReputationRep:
    You **** ****ing son of a **** grrrrrr why you

:] all better now.

ReputationRep:
    I swear because of my otherwise insufficient vocabulary. It's a way of letting out emotions that otherwise get stuck inside unvoiced .

ReputationRep:
    Iv mien family where kiled by mad man ;[[[

i go veri angri i use meny sweer word

not mien lak of vocabuary

ReputationRep:
    I swear all the time. In my vocabulary swears words can be offensive, meaningless, or terms of endearment. It's not what the word means but the context and way in which you use it. My vocabulary is limited in the sense that I choose to use few words in speech, but occasionally when I type I use words that are more accurate (or pretentious). Basically I'm lazy so most of the time I'll use words that are small and get the point across quickest. A single swear word can say everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Lack of a wider vocabularly that can express the same sentiments in a more eloquent manner?

What does Profesh think?
    Imo I think that only applies to when you make "****** a verb. Something like this:

"oh sh*t!" is different to:

"so I *****ing saw that *****ing geezer, and he *****ing gave me that *****ing look, what a *****er, the stupid *****!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gio)
    I swear sometimes for no reasons, but not that often. But im wondering why people swear for - just to emphasize something or...:confused:
    I personally do it to take out any anger or frustration.

ReputationRep:
    Swearing is a valid form of expression in my book, although I can see that it offends some people, so caution is necessary. But if you know the people you're with are okay with it, it's fine. I call my boyfriend the dreaded c-word in an affectionate way, and he does it too. Swearing is only offensive because it's thought to be; it's only words, after all.

Wouldn't swear in front of my parents though.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, evading the swear filter are we? :p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    I swear like a trooper Its just a really bad habit. You do it when your younger thinking its cool and then it just becomes part of your vocabulary. Thats the case for me anyways.
    Same here

force of habit really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Reported.
    Have yesterday off.

And here's a bisuit too *pat's Sithius on head*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    oh dear, evading the swear filter are we? :p:
    Waaaaaaaaaaaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    or significantly richer than thou.
    Don't you mean "conseederably reecher then yooo-auwe"?

ReputationRep:
    I swear in conversation when trying to communicate with others who swear in communication. Also when giving verbal abuse to the ignorant, as if I am insulting someone I want them to feel suitably insulted.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.