Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aren't double firsts where you do a joint course and get a first in both parts eg History and politics?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure what the term for that is. i'm pretty sure "double first" just means you got a first in prelims/mods and finals.

ReputationRep:
    There's no term for it. Just because you're doing a joint course doesn't mean you're any better than someone who doesn't. It's still only one course.

Also, double firsts are nothing special. Most firsts, I'd guess, are double firsts. All they mean is that you also got a first in prelims, which generally are easier. Same with triple firsts, quadruple firsts. They show consistency but not exceptional talent.

Starred firsts aren't needed in these days of quantitative marking. Back when there were only classes and no marks, if someone did amazingly he needed a special class. These days they just give him a higher mark, his average gets really high and he comes out with the top first, second highest first etc.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps slightly off topic...but for courses like the double Royal Northern College of Music and Manchester University music course (http://www.arts.manchester.ac.uk/sub...testudy/#joint) what would you call getting a first in both of these degrees? Not sure whether the GRNCM (graduate of the RNCM) is classified as such...but hypothetically? Surely logically Double First should apply to this...

ReputationRep:
    I thought double firsts were some Cambridge specific thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaiah Berlin)
    Also, double firsts are nothing special. Most firsts, I'd guess, are double firsts. All they mean is that you also got a first in prelims, which generally are easier. Same with triple firsts, quadruple firsts. They show consistency but not exceptional talent.
    So, Mr. Berlin, just what does show exceptional talent?

ReputationRep:
    It's obvious from my post, had you fully quoted it - getting a high first shows exceptional talent. Getting a double first doesn't show any higher a standard of achievement, it merely means you began realising your potential earlier. Someone could get two 70's in prelims and finals and that'd be a double first, someone else could get a 69 and a 79 in mods and finals and that won't be. We all know who's more talented though.

ReputationRep:
    So, to clarify, if an Oxford 'double first' is getting firsts in mods and finals (or in two subjects for a joint honours degree), what is a Cambridge double first? Getting a first in two parts of the Tripos?

ReputationRep:
    So far as I'm aware yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that the Ruth kid who was a genius and went to Oxford to study Maths at 9 got a 1*. I'm near adamant that I read it somewhere. But she's, like, 30 now...so I'm thinking they definitely did differentiate at one point, but perhaps, not anymore? It'd be pretty ****ing great to get a 1*. Embarrassing though. People would ask what you got and think you were away with the fairies...

ReputationRep:
    Some day I bet a very clever chap will get firsts in all the mods & final exams of his joint-honours English and history degree and claim he has a quadruple first.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not see the contradiction in your own sentence? Joint 'degree', singular. Why are people, so, so slow on this point? I take seven papers for finals each, surprisingly, in different topics, but if I got a first in all of them it'll still only be a 'single' first rather than a 'septuple' first because I only take one cours, albeit in two different fields. It's like getting blood into a stone communicating this to people. grr.

Anyway, I'd guess people have already got firsts in all six parts of PPE mods and finals, so if you were going to make that point you could at least have made it well.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, chill out. It's an internet forum. Not your future happiness and joy.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I thought the last sentence was quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me)
    So, to clarify, if an Oxford 'double first' is getting firsts in mods and finals (or in two subjects for a joint honours degree) ...
    (Original post by IB)
    So far as I'm aware yes.
    ****. You.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was really personally attacking you wasn't I? My response was to "what is a Cambridge double first? Getting a first in two parts of the Tripos?" rather than the Oxford bit of that post, though I agree it was ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting:
    In June 1874 Wilde won a demyship in classics to Magdalen College, Oxford, where he studied until 1879, having graduated BA in November 1878 with a double first in classical moderations and literae humaniores or greats (classics).
    ODNB
    double-first: any candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Oxford University who takes first-class honors in both classics and mathematics is said to have won a double-first.
    http://human-nature.com/darwin/huxley/notes.html
    They contradict each other.

ReputationRep:
    Yup - the first one is clearly right - and Wilde certainly didn't read mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Well not necessarily - I mean just because you can get a double first by doing classics + maths doesn't necessarily mean you can't get one in a different way

ReputationRep:
    Hardly: why would the same term be used for two different degree types?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.