15.79%
    Sir Christopher France House
    26.32%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ÁňûβİŚ)
    i did it once. i'm a man.
    You are indeed.

ReputationRep:
    1) is it possible to share rooms with others or is it only possible to get single room for 1 person. BTW how big are the single rooms areawise?

Im live in IFOR EVANS, we only have single rooms. so its not possible to share room here. Rooms are roughly 5 metres X 4 metres. or 5X5. But you can fit one or two friends if they want to stay overnight.

2) Does evey room have an internet connection and if so how fast is it.
    also is it possible to get cable tv from the rooms.

Yes, they have internet in every room, connected thru UNI network so has few restriction. like P2P ports and VOICE ports blocked hence no voice communication possible on yahoo.

3) At campus are they very strict with who can enter and not. like say if i'd like to have a friend over from sweden for a week or weekend would that be possible.

As munkie said, they do hav rules but its not that strict, I know someone who had a friend living in his room for like a month.

ReputationRep:
    So if i understood it correct u only get accomodation for first year in the halls? what happens after that, u get kicked out and have to find a place to live by your own or will i be forced to get a roommate to be able to remain at the halls?

ReputationRep:
    aha! sub-leasing? u can earn upto 25 pounds a week if u sub lease the rooms...good idea..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponto)
    So if i understood it correct u only get accomodation for first year in the halls? what happens after that, u get kicked out and have to find a place to live by your own or will i be forced to get a roommate to be able to remain at the halls?
    1st years, 3rd years and masters students get the chance of residing on campus. 2nd years have to find a place to live outside campus which QM will help you with. There will be a lot of people in this predicament, so I don't doubt for one second you'll be alone.

ReputationRep:
    I've been stalking this website for ages...and I tried to get involved, but I just really am too [email protected] for such...

Anyhow I have a question about accommodation...

I received deferred entry for QMUL last year to start this September, and I've been wondering, when / if I should start hearing or getting things about applying for accommodation.

Like am I meant to contact them and get all the paperwork and information regarding such?

-or-

Is that their responsibility to send it to me, and if so when should I expect to get things?

Okay, that's all I've been wondering, if anyone can answer my quandaries I'd greatly appreciate that.

I know this is off topic, but really if anyone knows when I should just start hearing or getting things in general about entry this year, I'd appreciate that. For when I last spoke to QMUL in September they said I should hear from them [in a manner of speaking] in the Spring, and well it is Spring... I mean the only thing I have received is a really generic e-mail from the International Officer in charge of US Applicants...but hello I already have my place...*rolls eyes* Anyhow, I tend to ramble, so if anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate it, as well as any advice.

ReputationRep:
    If you've received nothing about accommodation by now, I suggest you contact the residence office. Although given your an international student, I think you'll get priority, but obviously the earlier you get your application in, the better.

Residences Office
    http://www.ccrs.qmul.ac.uk/residences/

ReputationRep:
    ok from what i read, pooley, rich/kich feldern (the new one) and france house seem the best.

what do people reccomend putting down as first choice, second etc.

am just askign cos once i get all my replies and that i wanna apply for accomodation quick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafz)
    ok from what i read, pooley, rich/kich feldern (the new one) and france house seem the best.

what do people reccomend putting down as first choice, second etc.

am just askign cos once i get all my replies and that i wanna apply for accomodation quick!
    Richard Feilden hasn't even been finished yet!

ReputationRep:
    ye but should be doen by sept 2006. the description of it seems pretty good (by comparison to the others of course). seems better than pooly actually but ive heardlots of good stuff abt that place.

ReputationRep:
    how about in terms of Postgraduate Halls? which is the best? is there a particular building to stay away from?

ReputationRep:
    o wait hold up. which halls have the most fire alarms going off at ridiculous times of the night? cos i need my sleep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafz)
    o wait hold up. which halls have the most fire alarms going off at ridiculous times of the night? cos i need my sleep!
    How do you know about that? Its those pesky 1st years . . . . .anything to do with them. To busy :smokin:!

Not many people get agitated mind :jitsu:

Anyway, it mostly happens with:
    - Creed Court
    - Frances House
    - Next door to Creed as well

Also down to showers.

Postgrad halls are quite nice I think (all of them).

ReputationRep:
    i didn't know. was just askign lol. at my brothers uni that happens though and he always used to compalin about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafz)
    i didn't know. was just askign lol. at my brothers uni that happens though and he always used to compalin about it
    Its the 1st years - they like to see the fireman. They all come down - 10 fire engines for a smoke alarm going off. You normally get the chit chat after :rolleyes:

Westfield Way - awash full of fire engines and blue lights. It looks like a mini 9/11 has gone on there after a smoke alarm :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Westfield Way - awash full of fire engines and blue lights. It looks like a mini 9/11 has gone on there after a smoke alarm :laugh:
    Hmm - is it just me who finds that comment distasteful?

ReputationRep:
    You will be pleased to hear that the fire alarm problem seems to be under control, touch wood. They have changed the settings and with the exception of a few tests i cant really remember our last alarm, gota b about 6 weeks ago, which is somewhat of an approvement from the regular 1 a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Hmm - is it just me who finds that comment distasteful?
    I'm not sure which bit your referring too, but I think your being a little over-sensitive

Smoke Alarms are also prone to triggering from showers and smoking. I thought the bad alarm was in Frances House?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I'm not sure which bit your referring too, but I think your being a little over-sensitive
    I don't - from previous conversations there are at least 2 regular TSRers that I know of who lost loved ones in 9/11. I'm sure they would think that sensitivity was a good thing and that you were being a bit of a ----.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I don't - from previous conversations there are at least 2 regular TSRers that I know of who lost loved ones in 9/11. I'm sure they would think that sensitivity was a good thing and that you were being a bit of a ----.
    Fluffy, you're being over-sensitive. Reacting to a random comment which I wasn't at all poking fun out of.

I don't think I've been insensitive. If this is what it has come to, no wonder Britain is becoming so PC over a random comment. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2006
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.