Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Isn't standard form and solving quadratic equations the most advanced maths in A Level Chemistry?
    Not that people have done yet...

ReputationRep:
    I am going to try really hard to find some way to do further maths even if it is only at as. The most likely option will be self teach i think. Again i don't see how the **** chemistry will help anyone wanting to do maths?!

ReputationRep:
    Self teach if necessary. I've done that with AS/A2 maths and its been okay, and i cant see anything in AS F.Maths being harder than C3/C4. I'm sure you're teachers will still help you if need be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pascal)
    I am going to try really hard to find some way to do further maths even if it is only at as. The most likely option will be self teach i think. Again i don't see how the **** chemistry will help anyone wanting to do maths?!
    Good Idea, nothing shows more commmitment to your subject and there will always people people on tsr, me included, that will be willing to help you with anything you want

And i agree with you about the chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Well thats's settled then. The chemistry thing is a load of rubbish. And i'll remember that when i'm studying next year and find something really difficult! No doubt your help WILL be needed at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    You did say straight up "those aren't the subjects of someone who wants to study maths at university." I stand by what I said before, Maths and Further Maths should be enough to carry you onto most maths courses if you get good grades in them. And Futureaussiecto, have you finished studying your A Level syllabuses? I think you'll find all the maths in Physics is GCSE stuff (bar radians, covered in AS Maths) and Chemistry's maths could be managed by most 12 year olds.
    Physics

Flux linkage- differentiation
    Velocity- differentiation
    Angular Momentum- s=rtheta
    Mechanics forces on a slope- M1 (Edexcel)
    Projectiles- M2 (Edexcel)
    Energy- ME (Edexcel)
    Kinetic Energy- M2 (Edexcel)
    Momentum- M1 (Edexcel)
    Newtons 2nd Law- differentiation
    Impulse- M1 (Edexcel)
    SHM- M3 (Edexcel)
    Gravitational Force between two bodies- M3 (Edexcel)
    Hookes Law- M3 Edexcel

These are just the ones i can remember from my physics, it is absurd to say that physics contains "just GCSE maths"!

The fact that someone studies maths, f maths, chemistry and physics shows that they have a very numerical way of thinking. If someone prefers essay writing it is unlikely they will enjoy a maths degree.

At NO point did i say chemistry contains maths, however from what ive been told by friends studying it, it is a good a level to have to get you thinking in the frame of mind of what mathematicians need, along with m and fm (obv) and physics.

Mathematics is the hardest degree subject arguably- if you cannot hack 3 sciences at A Level then you are pretty doomed for uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)
    Physics

Flux linkage- differentiation
    Angular Momentum- s=rtheta
    Mechanics forces on a slope- M1 (Edexcel)
    Projectiles- M2 (Edexcel)
    Energy- ME (Edexcel)
    Kinetic Energy- M2 (Edexcel)
    Momentum- M1 (Edexcel)
    Newtons 2nd Law- differentiation
    Impulse- M1 (Edexcel)
    SHM- M3 (Edexcel)
    Gravitational Force between two bodies- M3 (Edexcel)
    Hookes Law- M3 Edexcel

These are just the ones i can remember from my physics, it is absurd to say that physics contains "just GCSE maths"!

The fact that someone studies maths, f maths, chemistry and physics shows that they have a very numerical way of thinking. If someone prefers essay writing it is unlikely they will enjoy a maths degree.

At NO point did i say chemistry contains maths, however from what ive been told by friends studying it, it is a good a level to have to get you thinking in the frame of mind of what mathematicians need, along with m and fm (obv) and physics.

Theres no calculus required in almost all a-level physics couses these days, as stupid as that is

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no calculus required in my Physics A Level. Why are you listing M1-3's content? They are Maths/Further Maths A Level modules?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry is a very popular option and this combination of subjects is the most mathematical (unless you do statistics or triple maths etc), when I went to a Cambridge open day the majority of people I spoke to were doing these subjects. But it isn't necessary to do this to get into any university. I know someone who got into Cambridge doing Maths, Further Maths, French and German. Further maths is a big help, and there is some cross over in Physics so you have less to learn. The maths in Physics is quite basic now, in my A Levels there were logarithms that weren't in GSCE maths but the mechanics stuff could easily be learnt without doing A Level maths and just learning the formula, it wasn't necessary to do the differentation used in deriving acceleration etc. The mechanics tested in Physics are simple cases of the things you learn properly in M1, M2 etc. I did OCR MEI for maths and AQA for Physics and that's what I found.

To the OP - your subjects are fine. My school didn't offer Further maths and I was discouraged from trying to self teach it. If you are sure you want to do maths when it comes to year 13 you could drop one of your subjects and self teach AS further maths. This is what I did and I got offers from Durham, Nottingham, Bath, St Andrews, Manchester and York. However if you have your heart set on Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial it would be better to do it from year 12 instead of one of your other subjects. Some of those may prefer you to have Physics but it isn't a neccessity. Why not email admissions tutors with your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retropmot)
    Theres no calculus required in almost all a-level physics couses these days, as stupid as that is
    Yes but physics still has the opportunity to show it, and it is still included in textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    There is absolutely no calculus required in my Physics A Level. Why are you listing M1-3's content? They are Maths/Further Maths A Level modules?
    Someone earlier stated the only maths in physics is GCSE or AS Maths, i was showing thats not true.

The fact you just said some of my list is in f maths proves my point that doing physics is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but physics still has the opportunity to show it, and it is still included in textbooks.
    Yeah but all the maths content in physics (even if you look at some of the calculus proofs for some formulae, which arent actually in the syllabus) is included in, and for the most part a simplification of, the content within maths A level. How does doing an easier version of something else that you do put you at more of an advantage than learning something completely different that you might be more interested in anyway?

EDIT: Ok, so maybe circular motion, SHM and gravity are F.maths nowadays, but in physics they are just formulae to plug numbers into, theres never any setting up or the more fiddly work you do in maths (I remember doing a past paper the other week in class and doing the long setup work you do in M3, and the question took about 5-10 minutes, when the other just put the numbers given into a formula on the data sheet). These are the only 3 mathematical ideas that I can think of in the physics Alevel that arent in maths, and the way they are treated in physics certainly doesnt make Physics a more worthwhile Alevel than say german.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    Yeah but all the maths content in physics (even if you look at some of the calculus proofs for some formulae, which arent actually in the syllabus) is included in, and for the most part a simplification of, the content within maths A level. How does doing an easier version of something else that you do put you at more of an advantage than learning something completely different that you might be more interested in anyway?
    it improves your ability to working with formulae

instead of only 1,2 of your 4 AS's teaching you these skills you will have 3 or 4 out of your 4 AS's going it.

Like the person stated above, its not just coincidence that most mathmos do 4 sciences. i even recall looking in the 2005 oxford prospectus as st hildas and the girl there did m, fm, chem and phy!

ReputationRep:
    it improves your ability to working with formulae

instead of only 1,2 of your 4 AS's teaching you these skills you will have 3 or 4 out of your 4 AS's going it.

Like the person stated above, its not just coincidence that most mathmos do 4 sciences. i even recall looking in the 2005 oxford prospectus as st hildas and the girl there did m, fm, chem and phy!
    Frankly, being able to rearrange a linear (or even in some rare cases quadratic) equations, or possibly (though im not sure this is even necessary) pressing the log button on your calculator (and then only ever in the simplest examples, you would never have to be able to manipluate logs) which is all you'll ever be expected to do in physics Alevel hardly require that much practise if you do A level maths. If your skills with these GCSE and AS maths topics are that rusty that you need physics to improve them, I wonder how suitable a maths degree is. I personally think you would gain a lot more from doing a language instead of physics, unless you really want to know more about electricity, waves and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that someone studies maths, f maths, chemistry and physics shows that they have a very numerical way of thinking. If someone prefers essay writing it is unlikely they will enjoy a maths degree
    Not necessarily, I do Maths, FM, Physics & History at A Level and to be honest wish i had done English instead of physics, because Physics has not helped me at all.

In October I hope to be studying Maths & Philosophy at uni.

So stop generalising.

ReputationRep:
    right i am still not much further in deciding but everything above is a massive massive help! i think what will happen even though i don't want to is that i'll do physics as opposed to german. Also do further maths as early as possible. i will tryand email some addmissions tutors as well to see what they think. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    don't do physics if you don't want to. I hate Physics now and at points in year 12 wanted to do it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ssmoose. I also hate physics, it hasn't helped my Maths at all and I wish I'd never chosen it...

ReputationRep:
    My A levels are Maths+F.Maths, English Literature, History, Spanish, and an AS in Philosophy. Although I stand a long way back on science terms, my maths is just as good as those of my Further Maths friends who are taking the Math/Phys/Chem route. I would definately not denounce the usefulness and value of three science subjects - that is pretty clear. But when I chose my A levels, I just chose things I wanted to study a bit more. I wasn't devoted to Maths (or indeed anything else). I would reccommend that you chose subjects you're interested in studying seriously, because you'll enjoy them a lot more and do better for it. I certainly would not change my subjects, but it is a very personal decision.

ReputationRep:
    OCR B encourages the strong application of maths, but doesn't actually require it!! I have definitely covered 2-3 of those topics twice (once in Physics and once in Mech). And I'm sure that I'll cover more. Even if Maths is not required for Physics, it's very interesting to delve a little deeper!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.