You have got to be having a laugh ... watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    They rejected my idea. Apparently, just having the word "CHEAT" as an inch-high hyperlink to coursework.info after every third line would be "far too subtle".
    more polish for your halo?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't like the size/shape...it's out of place next to the forums - if it was forum height/width it might not be so jarring.

plus I don't like the claim that it covers "every subject"...IMO that's just laying us open for false advertising...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we could have a cheat button on TSR which redirects people to coursework.info

Perhaps not.

I have mixed feelings about it but at the end of the day this is a business not a charity so I support it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like the idea of it, the colours, the design.

Plus, considering the fuss that TSR caused with regards to exams, isnt it rather a bad idea for the site to link to other sites regardless of whether they are owned by the same company or not which provide aids for exams or gaining qualifications by payment of uploading of pieces of coursework is a rather bad idea.

Thanks, will address your issues later this evening. Off to McDonalds now!

ReputationRep:
    Better placing - it's very jarring and stands out too much. Maybe a more subtle approach...

Enjoy McDonalds!

ReputationRep:
    Forget the design/colours etc! Its right in the middle of the page! Move it to the bottom or somewhere more subtle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C)
    Hello!:cool:

We always want your feedback! We need to keep you all happy after all.

What don't you like about the advert?

The colours? The position? The idea? All of it?

Suggestions?

We need to fund the massive server costs somehow. What we've done so far with cost covering is great but we need to experiment to ensure TSR's existance.

Thanks - C
    My personal opinion:

It looks tacky, its annoying because it breaks up the table of forums, it's probably lying (unless the site does have coursework for Brewing and Distilling, or Embroidery, or Puppetry?) and it just seems so wrong to practically advertise cheating on a student forum! You can argue that the work on the site isn't meant to be used for cheating, but at the end of the day we all know that people use it to cheat.

So my suggestions would be, if ads are entirely necessary:

Use ads that are nice to look at (although I doubt such a thing exists), don't essentially give the stamp of approval for behaviour that is wrong, and don't put it in such an annoying place! If anything, I'm more likely to click an ad if it's subtle and doesn't interfere with my use of the forum too much. Having said that, the chances of me actually clicking one of the ads is about 0, unless it's by accident.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I was going to say, if the intention is get people to click on them by mistake - then it would be effective. However, one disguised as 'Increase Rep' would probably be even more effective...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C)

Suggestions?

We need to fund the massive server costs somehow. What we've done so far with cost covering is great but we need to experiment to ensure TSR's existance.

Thanks - C
    I would suggest sacking the person who came up with putting the advert there. were they stoned when they put it there? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I just think it looks pathetic being stuck right in the middle of the page, can you not stick it at the bottom or something? Or give members the option to disable it? At least guest would still be able to see it etc and i dont see the point in it being there for me because i know the site exists and sticking a huge ad in the middle of the page isnt going to make me go on it ...

Once you have seen it once you dont really need to see it again and again .... catch my drift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Otis)
    I would suggest sacking the person who came up with putting the advert there. were they stoned when they put it there? :eek:
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so that's what it is. Something on my computer's blocking it so I just get a big thick black line.

I agree with the points above; it's not right to advertise something which aids cheating on this forum in my opinion.

Oh, and the text ads that have recently appeared at the top of the forum (GCSE & A-level coursework help from Coursework.Info by learning from 75,000 example essays
    Help get in your first choice uni with a great personal statement
    Thousands of degree essays to study on all subjects at AcademicDB.com) are also really annoying; simple links would be better.

It's been put in a very strange position - I mean, it wouldn't look so out of place if it'd been put at the bottom of the page, or at the top where adverts usually go. But right in between the sub-forum sections is odd. :p:

But hey, it isn't affecting my ability to post or anything.

(Original post by LPK)
    Why is it starting to feel like you are forcing people to subscrobe so they can get away from them banners rather than them subbing because they want to help the site. :\
    I hope that most people don't see us trying to force anyone to do anything. It's only a few degrees of a mouse wheel turn.

Subbing has been a great way for people to help fund TSR with the site but it just isn't enough - by a long way.

Have a look around how much internet hosting costs for a site with this much traffic!

We're experimenting with ways to ensure TSR keeps going.

Thanks - C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C)

Suggestions?

Thanks - C
    The position of it is terrible!

ReputationRep:
    I like how C manages to avoid answering my point of TSR advocating and facilitating the means to cheat on Exam Qualification Coursework.

Surely a site which works closely with the exam boards would not want to risk being caught, or being implied in the aiding of coursework cheats.

Threads asking for coursework answers are deleted rapidly by the moderation team, yet it seems that for a small fee, TSR is willing to allow us the privilge of avoiding doing the work ourselves, and buying our coursework off others.

ReputationRep:
    Basically the ad is way too introsive. I'm not going to comment on the content its promoting, but the ad should be repositioned elsewhere. Having in smack in the middle of the page, and that too a banner ad of that size, is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C)
    I hope that most people don't see us trying to force anyone to do anything. It's only a few degrees of a mouse wheel turn.

Subbing has been a great way for people to help fund TSR with the site but it just isn't enough - by a long way.

Have a look around how much internet hosting costs for a site with this much traffic!

We're experimenting with ways to ensure TSR keeps going.

Thanks - C
    Fair enough you want to make money back, but if adverts keep getting added then the site wont look professional. If adverts keep getting added then it will look like one of them cheap student sites. Scrolling past it does not bother me, because as you said it is only an extra 2 turns on my mouse wheel, but it is the way it looks and the way it is positioned that I don't like. Maybe it would look better above the quick reply box?

ReputationRep:
    just adblock that mofo away :>

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.