Turn on thread page Beta

Giving Blood watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just think of the free ben and jerrys voucher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    see i think i was about 45/46kg at the time. i am 49kg now, do you think they will let me? i've got it written on my thing that they refused me last time so "check weight the next time" is written across my form. will that play against me?
    Make sure your clothes are heavy? Um, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    They are sooo many requirments for giving blood! If you go here http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/flash_questions.html and click to find out more, you can answer the questions to check whether you are actually able to give blood.

Don't worry about anything though, I find the nurses are always lovely and treat you especially nice if its your first time. Plus I love coming out and feeling like I might have saved someones live! Oh, and of course the free tea and biccies!

ReputationRep:
    OMG theres at least 3 reasons i can't! piercing in the last 6 months, got a sore throat/cold, on some medication.

i'd be pretty scared of doing it anyway, i hate the sight of my own blood and needles! but its such a good and necessary thing to do!

good on ya shinyhappy! hope it goes okay

ReputationRep:
    Actually, another random question for the girlies. I haven't seen anything on the website that mentions this, so I assume its ok, but I'm still allowed to give blood whilst on the contraceptive pill, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Make sure your clothes are heavy? Um, I dunno.

i think i will do that! i am so desperate to donate, just because if i am in an accident i know i would expect to receive blood so i feel i want to give, if that make sense!

it sort of makes you think, though. they blood collectors must recieve enough blood if they are able to be that picky, so why do they do the whole tv campaign to make you feel guilty, even although in reality they are the ones
    stopping you!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that one of the reasons they are always in need of blood is because they *have* to be so picky.

The screening process is very effective but too many horror stories from back in the 80s before it was changed, haemophiliacs getting HIV etc. They have to restore confidence that the blood is safe - and of course, it does have to be safe, the consequences of the system failing once could be Very Bad. Hence lots of double-checks and safety nets... also, clearly they don't want to do you damage by taking blood from you if you're underweight and should be hanging onto it.
    At a time, generally I believe they only have supplies of blood for a week or so ahead - sometimes as little as 3 days http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/stocklevel.html

Incidentally, many of the questions it mentions on the website don't necessarily preclude you from giving blood - give them a ring or turn up if you're unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappy)
    I'm still allowed to give blood whilst on the contraceptive pill, right?
    Yeap, and other forms of hormonal contraception are OK too.

ReputationRep:
    I love how hard they make it to give blood when they need it so desperately.

I can't give it because I'm scared of needles and would ultimately cause more hassel than I'd save. I mean scared like screaming, weeping and fending nurses off- I'd be funny if it wasn't so traumatic.

As to the gay thing, the spread of HIV is increasingly fairly steadily among straight people so I really can't see why gay people aren't allowed to give blood.

ReputationRep:
    I think they only have all these regulations to protect your health and the health of the people who would receive the blood.
    And in regards to the HIV thing, straight people are also asked if they have had unprotected sex with someone who could potentially have HIV in the past 12 months.
    If just one person was given blood that was infected with anything, then there would be such a big hooha. Its better to be safe than sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Always declare medication and day trips to France, they'll tell you if it was OK. Heck, I declared my soft and chewy vitamin C tablets to be thorough.

As for the gay men/women who've slept with a man who's slept with a man not being able to give blood thing... Yes, it's a little extreme. But I'm sure I read that they calculated that if they allowed these people to give blood, the amount of HIV in blood stocks would leap by 40%. Really, it's not just because, urgh, they're dirty gays!!!11 It's the NHS, do you think they'd be allowed to to that if it was just out for homophobic discriminatory reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    I love how hard they make it to give blood when they need it so desperately.

As to the gay thing, the spread of HIV is increasingly fairly steadily among straight people so I really can't see why gay people aren't allowed to give blood.

They make it hard because they have to. A critical patient leaking half his bloodstream doesn't need deadly blood borne diseases on top of his troubles... Believe me, they don't want to make it difficult!

As for HIV in the two communities... Yes, it's rising in the heterosexual population. In terms of numbers, it's even overtaken known cases amongst the homosexual population. But that's in terms of numbers. The heterosexual population is much, much larger than the homosexual population. That means that in terms of percentage (ie: the somewhat more important one here), HIV is much more prevalent in the gay community.

Like I said, they want the blood. They don't want to cut out the gay population. But they have to. Like I said, it's estimated that the amount of HIV in the blood stocks would go up by 40%. That's a lot, and they can't risk it.
    Even if someone high up really didn't like gay people and wanted to stop them giving blood out of spite, what makes you think they'd be allowed to? It's the NHS! It's public sector. If there weren't real scientific reasons, the gay population would be giving blood left, right and centre.

I don't like how carefully researched measures and policies are dismissed as homophobic. They wouldn't stop these people giving blood if they didn't have to. We've not done the research in it, they have. I'm going to trust their judgement on this one. It's very unfortunate that gay and bisexual men don't get the chance to do something like giving blood. But it needs to be the case for now, it would seem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    They make it hard because they have to. A critical patient leaking half his bloodstream doesn't need deadly blood borne diseases on top of his troubles... Believe me, they don't want to make it difficult!

As for HIV in the two communities... Yes, it's rising in the heterosexual population. In terms of numbers, it's even overtaken known cases amongst the homosexual population. But that's in terms of numbers. The heterosexual population is much, much larger than the homosexual population. That means that in terms of percentage (ie: the somewhat more important one here), HIV is much more prevalent in the gay community.

Like I said, they want the blood. They don't want to cut out the gay population. But they have to. Like I said, it's estimated that the amount of HIV in the blood stocks would go up by 40%. That's a lot, and they can't risk it.
    Even if someone high up really didn't like gay people and wanted to stop them giving blood out of spite, what makes you think they'd be allowed to? It's the NHS! It's public sector. If there weren't real scientific reasons, the gay population would be giving blood left, right and centre.

I don't like how carefully researched measures and policies are dismissed as homophobic. They wouldn't stop these people giving blood if they didn't have to. We've not done the research in it, they have. I'm going to trust their judgement on this one. It's very unfortunate that gay and bisexual men don't get the chance to do something like giving blood. But it needs to be the case for now, it would seem...

Isn't it a bit naive to dismiss homophobia in the NHS just because it's a public sector. Heard of the Scarman report?

ReputationRep:
    they have to be so fussy as it's easier to disallow someone from giving blood than to collect the blood and then transfuse it into someone else and find out there's problems with the blood.. it's not necessarily being fussy!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm not denying that such a huge organisation is homophbia-free. Course it isn't.

Institutional racism is a bit different to this case though... This is well known and publicised policy, not a hidden network and culture of hate. The NHS would not get away with printing leaflets that say gay and bisexual men can never give blood if there wasn't strong research and reasons for it. While I'm sure most wish that gay men could give blood, they've weighed up figures and risk factors and have decided that what would most likely result really isn't worth it.

And i think that's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    its over in a few seconds.. just find a big juicy vein, check the needle is sharp, pierce the big juicy vein with the long sharp needle and suck your blood out. No big deal.

ReputationRep:
    As people have already said, they do ask the questions for very good reasons - to make sure that it's safe for you to donate it, and to ensure that it will be OK to transfuse. All the questions that they ask can be found http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/c11xclud.html
    You can't really blame them for being careful - if you had received blood and then found out that you'd caught some terrible disease, all because they failed to ask a simple question, you wouldn't be too happy, I'm sure...
    They are the experts, perhaps we may see their rules as a little harsh and overprotective - but they exist for a good reason.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.