Turn on thread page Beta

Ladies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexic_banana)
    Women like you make me feel misogynistic. What's the point in a relationship, if your partner doesn't treat you well? If you don't feel loved? Isn't really caring for someone the main thing, when it comes to love/romance? Is it all about sex, or physical attraction? Why not just have a succession of one-night stands, if so? How could you care about someone, who doesn't show any signs of caring about you?

Do you also like your men to beat their chests and growl? Exactly how far do you take this whole 'badboy' lusting? Is Ian Huntley your dream man? Jesus Christ.
    I dunno what misogynistic means but anyways. I don't actually know what the point is. To be honest .. and members of TSR who know me could probably tell you as well, I did actually just go out and have lots of one-night stands all the time but then I stopped and started going with my bf. Its hard to explain what he's like. He's not mean or nasty and he does show he likes me. He'll lie beside me and cuddle into me when we're sitting with our mates and give me kisses but he doesn't act all soppy and certainly won't tell me his proper feelings for me e.g. say he loves me or how much he likes me (although my mate said he told her he loved me as a secret ). And one time, me and him were with his mate and his mate asked him if he would ever tell a girl he loved her and he was just like "No chance:|". Right in front of me. But yeah um .. no i actually don't like my men to "beat their chests and growl". My bf just now has just started realising that. He used to always try and prove that he could batter everyone and start fights with his mates infront of me but now he's actually started taming down coz it doesn't impress me, I just like my men to be manly, not agressive. Although :| I have seen my bf go off his head big style before :| like getting a knife and threatning to stab people. But that wasn't nice.
    Anyways I'm going on a total rabble here so I'll shut up now lol. Thanks if you actually read all that lol

ReputationRep:
    I think every girl likes a sweet guy but it is unattractive when they appear overly keen - it's fun to have a bit of a chase at the beginning. I don't have the time of day for a guy that 'treats me mean' but no one who confesses there undying love within a few minutes of meeting - somewhere in the middle would be good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    dunno what misogynistic means but anyways. I don't actually know what the point is. To be honest .. and members of TSR who know me could probably tell you as well, I did actually just go out and have lots of one-night stands all the time but then I stopped and started going with my bf. Its hard to explain what he's like. He's not mean or nasty and he does show he likes me. He'll lie beside me and cuddle into me when we're sitting with our mates and give me kisses but he doesn't act all soppy and certainly won't tell me his proper feelings for me e.g. say he loves me or how much he likes me (although my mate said he told her he loved me as a secret ). And one time, me and him were with his mate and his mate asked him if he would ever tell a girl he loved her and he was just like "No chance:|". Right in front of me. But yeah um .. no i actually don't like my men to "beat their chests and growl". My bf just now has just started realising that. He used to always try and prove that he could batter everyone and start fights with his mates infront of me but now he's actually started taming down coz it doesn't impress me, I just like my men to be manly, not agressive. Although :| I have seen my bf go off his head big style before :| like getting a knife and threatning to stab people. But that wasn't nice.
    Anyways I'm going on a total rabble here so I'll shut up now lol. Thanks if you actually read all that lol
    Oh my dear God. You don't like your men to be aggressive, yet you're with someone who's threatened to stab people? Hasn't it ever occured to you, that the sort of guy capable of doing something like that, would possibly also be capable of hitting his girlfriend, or cheating on her? You know, one of these days, you'll probably be posting on here about him having done something like this, and what's ironic is that they'll probably be a huge display of sympathy.

But, errr, yeah: whatever turns you on, I suppose.

(Original post by chrissy909)
    I think every girl likes a sweet guy but it is unattractive when they appear overly keen - it's fun to have a bit of a chase at the beginning. I don't have the time of day for a guy that 'treats me mean' but no one who confesses there undying love within a few minutes of meeting - somewhere in the middle would be good!
    More understandable.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what misogynistic means but anyways. I don't actually know what the point is. To be honest .. and members of TSR who know me could probably tell you as well, I did actually just go out and have lots of one-night stands all the time but then I stopped and started going with my bf. Its hard to explain what he's like. He's not mean or nasty and he does show he likes me. He'll lie beside me and cuddle into me when we're sitting with our mates and give me kisses but he doesn't act all soppy and certainly won't tell me his proper feelings for me e.g. say he loves me or how much he likes me (although my mate said he told her he loved me as a secret ). And one time, me and him were with his mate and his mate asked him if he would ever tell a girl he loved her and he was just like "No chance:|". Right in front of me. But yeah um .. no i actually don't like my men to "beat their chests and growl". My bf just now has just started realising that. He used to always try and prove that he could batter everyone and start fights with his mates infront of me but now he's actually started taming down coz it doesn't impress me, I just like my men to be manly, not agressive. Although :| I have seen my bf go off his head big style before :| like getting a knife and threatning to stab people. But that wasn't nice.
    Sounds like your doing the impossible...'changing' the bad boy!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah; she'll probably dump him, once the project's completed, and move onto the next knife-wielding maniac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    a fake in other words?
    My thoughts exactly.

I like somewhere in between, tending towards the nicer end of the scale but not a doormat.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my dear God. You don't like your men to be aggressive, yet you're with someone who's threatened to stab people? Hasn't it ever occured to you, that the sort of guy capable of doing something like that, would possibly also be capable of hitting his girlfriend, or cheating on her? You know, one of these days, you'll probably be posting on here about him having done something like this, and what's ironic is that they'll probably be a huge display of sympathy.

But, errr, yeah: whatever turns you on, I suppose.
    He wouldn't hit me :| I tried to get him to hit me once to sober me up (that probably sounds bad but whatever its part of the story), and he was like "No :| I'm not hitting a girl!" As for cheating on me .. I dunno. If he cheated on me I would just give him the heave ho and that would be it but I've been told by him and plenty other people that he isn't someone who would cheat. So for now I just trust him and I know that the only reason for his daft behaviour with the knives has been because of the environment he has been brought up in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    Sounds like your doing the impossible...'changing' the bad boy!
    I actually think I have a bit :rofl:. All his mates (and actually my mates as well) seem to say when they're with us is that he has totally changed and tamed down. Apparently he used to be the one jumping about like a nutter wanting to cause havoc and now he just lies about with me or goes away into the living room to sit and watch TV with me and leaves his mates to it.

just felt like adding i went straight from being with a complete b****** to being with someone who is at the other end of the spectrum and i am soooo much happier. and i've noticed that the main difference is that i actually care about him, whereas with the first guy it was more like i just wanted him to want me (if that makes sense).

so...nice guys...rejoice...somebody likes your "type"

ReputationRep:
    He isn't the sort who would cheat, but he is the sort that would threaten people with knives? I know what I think represents the worse of the two crimes. Maybe his background would also cause him to cheat? Not that I know him to judge, I freely admit, but, you know, from the rational point of view of the bystander.........

ReputationRep:
    I dunno .. I just feel like thats .. not manly :confused: Maybe its because my dads like that and doesn't show his feelings but if a guy was really sweet and sensitive and was always there for me I would be really really turned off. My bf just now is so not like that and if he changed one day I would probably dump him. :|
    a guy like this will probably lack confidence..or we imagine him to lack confidence and so this would be the turn off. Possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 'cause lacking confidence is the worst crime in the world....

ReputationRep:
    i've heard most guys prefer a confident girl too, so it boils down to the same thing, doesn't it...maybe its coz people don't want someone who could end up clingy:confused:

ReputationRep:
    no...i lack confidence myself and i wish ihad more of it so i feel i need a guy whos got some!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    a fake in other words?
    Erm no, not a fake. When he is with her a different side of his personality emerges that is all. If it was fake would he go into a sewing shop in wales witha load of welshies saying "it's not often that boys are into embroidery" so he could make her a present. He really does love her, yet doesn't stop him from being himself. I'm sure you act differentl in front of your brothers and sisters to how you are with your friends, it doesn't mean you are being fake with either of them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah; she'll probably dump him, once the project's completed, and move onto the next knife-wielding maniac.
    :eek: I just noticed this comment! No chance, what a waste of time that would be:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    sweet but not clingy. as in, not doing it all the time and making me feel that I'm incapable of ever doing it myself...that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit sad then, I like the sweet and clingy type :p: It may have something to do with my low self esteem and hopelessly romantic side, but I do think guys with a sensitive side are so much more attractive

ReputationRep:
    Lads who are aggressive and lose their temper or want to start fights a lot have issues with their own self esteem and that type of behaviour is trying to cover it up. Not to sound patronising to the girls who are into that type but they will change their preferences as they grow up.

Ultimately I think Marie05 has hit the nail on the head in that girls who lack self confidence are attracted to men who have self confidence, it is a natural thing to look for a partner to provide the things you don't have. A girl once told me that a compliment from somebody who doesn't value themselves is worth nothing at all but a compliment from somebody with high self esteem makes you feel fantastic, and I totally see what she meant. Girls who have low confidence but find a self-assured male who gives them attention suddenly start to feel valued.

I think the most attractive kind of men are those who are gentle and caring to their girlfriends but don't shower them with unnecessary attention, its better to be a listener than an attention-seeker. 'Gentle but strong' is the phrase you're looking for, strong does not only mean how much you can bench press but a certain solidity of character, willing to stand up for your own opinions and not be messed around by others, and able to keep your cool and not lose your temper when things start going wrong. Girls see a man with this type of behaviour as a good prospect because he can provide things they don't have.

ReputationRep:
    What type of guy do you prefer? Someone who treats you nice and is really sweet or someone who doesnt act like he totally cares and that is really .. not sweet :confused: ?

I was talking about this with someone and we both said that its a big turn off for us when a guy is really sweet and treats us like hes really really interested. Is it just us?:confused:
    Why do nice guys finish last? I've never understood why all girls love a *******

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.