Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calymath)
    :eek:

How come?
    How come no insurance or how come military service?

How come insurance: Only got one other offer from St. Andrews for IR and history and its also AAA so pretty much useless. Its quite an oversubscribed course so I doubt they would let me in if I missed them as my insurance. Crap gcses did me in at the other places.

How come military service: Im Greek (and live in Greece so cant avoid it) and here you have to do mandatory military service. I figure I might as well get it out of the way whilst reapplying if I miss the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    in the words of my uncle:

"Do tell old chap."

That was directed to Popa Dom.
    He tells it better, but basically, one of his interviewers was gay (or so he thought, at least) so he camped himself up - velvet jacket included.

Maybe we should start a thread about it.

Or a Popa Dom appreciation society.

ReputationRep:
    oh i remember the days of saying 'hopefully' about seven times a sentence when people asked where i was going to uni. you'll be fine love, work as hard as you can, and basically do everything in your power to get the grades, you can't do more than that! also, relax too, try not to let your anxiety take over.. distract yourself with things you enjoy when you start worrying.

ReputationRep:
    i just hate people coming up to me and going 'ohhh you're goin to oxford...'
    I'm not into the uni yet!!! I feel like callin the college and sayin sumthing like 'listen guys...you like me...i like you...whats a B amongst friends?...whats that? ***** right off? well i didnt know they spoke like that in oxford but ok mate calm down.'

something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people feel this way before results day, and not just about Oxbridge, but any offer that they need to meet. The only thing to do is to work your hardest and see what happens, noone can ask more of you than that.
    There are also people here who missed one grade and got in anyway. It's no guarentee - a friend of mine missed her offer and wasn't admitted to the uni, but there's always an outside chance.
    Having said that, Oxford (more than most) do NOT give out offers that they don't believe candidates can achieve. They have few enough places to offer that they cannot afford to give out offers that are too difficult to match. If Oxford made you an offer, Oxford thinks you are good enough, and that should be at least some kind of incentive!
    Now get off the internet and go work :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-unit)
    He tells it better, but basically, one of his interviewers was gay (or so he thought, at least) so he camped himself up - velvet jacket included.

Maybe we should start a thread about it.

Or a Popa Dom appreciation society.
    Oh...thought it was going to be a little more dramatic. Maybe it's just the way you tell it :p:

Everyone feels this way (especially the part about people saying 'you're going to Oxford' like you already have the grades)... And Feef is right - less time on TSR, more time with the books, and you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Getting an offer is harder than getting 3A's. If you do the first it's within you to do the second. Work hard and you'll get what you deserve.

Seriously, for most of you guys A-levels will be a pile of piss. You're stressed now but you'll laugh in the summer when you get them easily. I'm not saying this to make you complacent, just know that so long as you work hard you don't need to worry. If you worry less you'll also work harder, so reduce the chance of doing badly even more. Woohoo

ReputationRep:
    the only thing that gets me through is my belief that i will pull it out the bag like i somehow always do (gcses, AS, feckin oxford interview). tell u what...if us TSR people get in, we'll meet up in freshers week and get HAMMERED. and im not talkin oooo ive got a headache drunk so much last night...im talkin drink yourself into a coma drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel a bit apprehensive about exams. Which leads me to setting really unrealistic revision goals that I can't achieve, and then I feel guilty about not doing so. It's a mother*****er. Still, we should be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I already have my A in Maths (did it at Christmas) and my History teacher tells me i work at an 'undergraduate level', but Physics is causing me anxiety too...

Considering phoning Newcastle and asking if they could pretty please consider changing my AAA offer to an AAB- i figure im a pretty good bet for it, especially as, atm, if i fail for Oxford im headed to Dundee....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesjay)
    the only thing that gets me through is my belief that i will pull it out the bag like i somehow always do (gcses, AS, feckin oxford interview).
    That is EXACTLY the same here.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing that gets me through is my belief that i will pull it out the bag like i somehow always do (gcses, AS, feckin oxford interview). tell u what...if us TSR people get in, we'll meet up in freshers week and get HAMMERED. and im not talkin oooo ive got a headache drunk so much last night...im talkin drink yourself into a coma drunk.
    I can pretty much guarantee that come freshers' week, you won't want to meet up, you'll be having too much fun in college! Make it a bit later, when you've all settled in. There was a TSR meet-up in 2nd week of Michaelmas this year, which was a good time to have it. We should all do something again this year.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same. My brilliant best friend who was rejected only has me getting in for compensation. My Dad spent £50 on a print of "my" college. My mum is practically stopping people in the street to brag.

Meanwhile, I haven't done any revision yet this holiday at all. I'm starting to wonder if I deserve my place...

ReputationRep:
    thats the other bad thing about getting an offer: the ridiculous rejections that oxford gave to some of my mates, who i can freely admit wipe the floor with me at english. so now i feel that i have to get in because otherwise im just wasting a place that any of my friends could easily have got the grades for. longitude...

ReputationRep:
    yayay tsr meet up! next term? definitely up for drink-till-in-a-coma. i'll pretend to be a fresher and you'll all be embarassed by me.

ReputationRep:
    i'll be there in 2007...one year late for booze up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose64)
    yayay tsr meet up! next term? definitely up for drink-till-in-a-coma. i'll pretend to be a fresher and you'll all be embarassed by me.
    Definitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I can pretty much guarantee that come freshers' week, you won't want to meet up, you'll be having too much fun in college! Make it a bit later, when you've all settled in. There was a TSR meet-up in 2nd week of Michaelmas this year, which was a good time to have it. We should all do something again this year.
    Good idea, would like to meet some of you guys..

ReputationRep:
    Massive hugs to everyone panicking
    Believe me I can panic for England and I wasn't exactly making life easy for myself either (long story)
    To the person panicking about their Synoptic try not to, Synoptic papers are the hardest and statistically people tend to do something like 2 whole grades worse in synoptic papers than the other modules - it doesn't mean you're stupid or anything
    You are all superstars and I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    i'll be there in 2007...one year late for booze up
    oww man i'll be a third year by then :eek: very scary thought.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.