Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My mother hits me watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esquire)
    to diffuse the situation....
    *Mother comes to hit you*
    you:"before you do that be warned that I am a masochist and hitting me may cause ejaculation"
    Mother: *stunned*
    ...always works with the bullies at school
    amusing. (no irony intended)

My mum has a pretty bad temper too and it's one of the reasons I'm starting to get fed up with it. But I understand her sometimes, and she's done a lot for me.

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to smack me and my brother, never did us any harm.

Quite funny when I got old enough though, I just used to hold her arms and laugh so she couldn't touch me, then she'd go to the shed, get a suitcase, and start packing my stuff, telling me I'm not allowed to live in the house anymore.

Crazy *****.

ReputationRep:
    na my mum used to beat the living **** outa us ever since we were 3.using canes , belts shoes all srots of gadgets:d....its cos thats how they were disciplinied by their parents in thier country so she enforces that on us..i hated it loads and had a bit of a lame childhood cos t made me a bit emotianally detached from my parents...there was no point trying to explaining or talking cos its difficult to do that.they dont take it seriosly.... but as i grew older i just took it...as in i didnt let it bother me and i didnt let it affect my behviour...and gradually she just stopped..was worse when dad never belived when i told the truth n i got blasted for that, but i didnt let it change my behvaiour.

i kept to what i belived..depends on the person u are..i was strong minded so i didnt let them control me with thier hitting...but depdns on ur situation...its like if someone annoys u in school, u just ignore them. and then they'll stop...same here..your not the only one going thorough it. it happens.

well enough about me.only 4months left in my house then im out whooooooo....parents can be lame. its a fact of life ..still love them tho... i really feel like a KFC

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is illegal, never mind who hits you. if it leaves a mark like a bruise or cut then it is no longer 'reasonable force' which is what parents are allowed (by the Children's Act 2004) to discipline their kids. It is physical abuse. If social services notice, are informed by doctors or teachers etc...then they will begin an investigation. This is not to say that you don't mind it, it is just illegal and children can be taken into care regardless of whether you mind it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let her disrespect you - smack that *****!

ReputationRep:
    Tell someone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socks)
    Tell someone?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mother has hit me alot over the last few year. So I hit her back the last time now she acting like i'm an evil person that needs serious help. Do I need help?
    There is hitting and hitting. Is she doing it when you have disobeyed her and, in her eyes, warrant correction? Is she flying off the handle and going out of control or is she calm and formal? Does she brutaly back hand you or give you a quick, sharp slap?

If she is being agressive and clearly out of control, or doing it for silly reasons, then she is out of line.... althouh I would always say hitting back won't solve anything.

But if she is discaplining you (which may be acceptable, in her eyes, up until you are 18) and you are someone who does what they want and won't take correction, then you need to chill out. If you think she is out of line TALK to her, don't just hit back. If you are hitting back on a "if she touches me I'll slap her" basis, then you really need to chill out. There is clearly a reason for her hitting you so find it and do something about it.

I had a close friend who would never do anything her mother said and her mother would smack her as a little kid as it was the only way she could get her to calm down and listen. As soon as my friend realised she was stronger than her mum she started slapping and hitting her anytime "discapline" was on the cards. It was a sad sight. Basic respect should get in the way of out of control or agressive behaviour on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyndzxx)
    So does my mum lol! It's a fact of life, untill you what to move out. Unfortunalty thats the way it is because you live under her roof and she pays the bills. When you feel that you can move out then do it. Also please try to understand your mum sometimes i mean try to help her around the house and be more helpfull thats the only sure fire way that your not going to get hit by her. After all she did give birth to you, feeds you, clothes you. So please have some litte repect for her. I bet thats the only thing that she's asking from you.
    You wouldn't hit an adult would you?? So why do people get away with hitting children?? You don't voice your oppinions by smacking work collegeues etc to get your point across. Sounds to me like yur mother has brainwashed you. Yes she gave birth to you, she wanted you, so she should show you a bit more respect and not hit u!

ReputationRep:
    and what if little Sonny keeps hitting the dog and when you say "stop honey, or I'll take away your toys/computer/not let you play with little Jimmy anymore" he just keeps on doing it? Chances are if you give him a good smack he wont hit poor Fido again. Just an example of why smacking can be necessary, not suggeting the OP hits dogs.

You don't hit adults because, in general, adults are capable of resonable argument and are fixed in their bahavior patterns so "corrective" treatment will not work. It is clearly not the place of another adult to doctate what is acceptable or not acceptable. That is what the police are for. But adults, in general, know what is better for a kid than a kid does (ie, not hitting pets, drowing siblings or too many cookies). Kids are maleable. They will act as they are permitted to act. And for alot of kids, the only way to tell them not to do something they really want to do is to give them a REAL reason why doing that thing will hurt them more then it pleases them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    and what if little Sonny keeps hitting the dog and when you say "stop honey, or I'll take away your toys/computer/not let you play with little Jimmy anymore" he just keeps on doing it? Chances are if you give him a good smack he wont hit poor Fido again. Just an example of why smacking can be necessary, not suggeting the OP hits dogs.

You don't hit adults because, in general, adults are capable of resonable argument and are fixed in their bahavior patterns so "corrective" treatment will not work. It is clearly not the place of another adult to doctate what is acceptable or not acceptable. That is what the police are for. But adults, in general, know what is better for a kid than a kid does (ie, not hitting pets, drowing siblings or too many cookies). Kids are maleable. They will act as they are permitted to act. And for alot of kids, the only way to tell them not to do something they really want to do is to give them a REAL reason why doing that thing will hurt them more then it pleases them.
    I don't agree with hitting children end of. It sickens me that a grown adult would hit something that is alot smaller and less capable of standing up for itself, and where do people draw the line at what is acceptable and what is not?? We have all seen super nanny on tv and the angry parents who smack their kids, and who gains control more?? Super nanny, because she doesn't smack them, she explains what they have done wrong and punishes them in a better, more humane way. And at the end of the day, the annonymous OP is 17, her mum shouldnt be hitting her! As you say, "adults are capable of a reasonable argument".

ReputationRep:
    And what if the youth isnt?

at 17 I would consider the OP and her parents capable of peaceful resolution... but I do not know the exacting circumstances and I would warrant a slap acceptable in some circumstances:

mum - you are home an hour after I asked you to be, why?
    daughter - get off my back mum
    mum - no, I want an answer
    daughter - oh **** off

Well, I would give daughter a slap, and a note not to back mouth me when I had asked a reasonable question. I dount if darling Sarah is the kind to swear at mum, she will accept a "lets sit down and be reasonable about this"

Once you get to that age, it is about pecking order. You live under my roof so you behave. My rules. I am the meaner woman so get a grip.

At 17 one should be able to act reasonably and respectfuly towards ones parents. Assuming mum is not out of control and daughter really is one of the "get off my back you dictator" types (which may well not be the case), then if one will not accept reasoned arguement when it is offered, a physical reason may be necessary. And honestly, what would I prefer? I sharp slap or priviledges being removed? A slap. Its a shock to the system and is likely to make the youth think twice about their behavior. And it does not have a drawn out effect. Having to constantly remind a kid that their computer priviledges have been removed will just keep the rift open and have a real impact on the kids life, as opposed to an emotional one.

ReputationRep:
    two more points - common sense dicatates acceptability. Yes, some people cross the line, but they would cross the line whatever we say about it. For those who dont, it is an effective form of correction

Super nanny. Wow, has she really been to every family in the country and proven her methods work? They are hardly going to broadcast the episodes or cases where she fails to have an impact. So what you see on TV is hardly a representative view of how well her methods work on more than specific cases.

Smacking should not be frequently employed, nor taken lightly by the parent. But it should be avaliable if needed. And trust me, some kids need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    If that's refering to the law, then I'm afraid that it applies to anyone.
    Well no. Obviously if a stranger came up and smacked your child, then that would be assault - but if someone with parental responsibility does it within the realms of reason, then of course it's legal.

(Original post by guitargirl03)
    It is illegal and parents can use their authority in different ways.
    Consider this for a second. 99% of physical discipline is perfectly legal. There are a few people who take it to excess who obviously are not doing it to instill a sense of right and wrong and are simply taking out their frustrations on someone who can't fight back.

You're being obtuse.

(Original post by katie lou)
    You wouldn't hit an adult would you?? So why do people get away with hitting children?? You don't voice your oppinions by smacking work collegeues etc to get your point across. Sounds to me like yur mother has brainwashed you. Yes she gave birth to you, she wanted you, so she should show you a bit more respect and not hit u!
    Children are not as capable of understanding logic and reason as adults, and in absence of that they need to be taught to behave by some method. Obviously smacking should not continue past a certain age - where discussion and reasoning are far more appropriate - but there is a place for smacking children in society.

It may not be the best method of parenting, but it's certainly an effective one if done properly.

(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    at 17 I would consider the OP and her parents capable of peaceful resolution... but I do not know the exacting circumstances and I would warrant a slap acceptable in some circumstances:

mum - you are home an hour after I asked you to be, why?
    daughter - get off my back mum
    mum - no, I want an answer
    daughter - oh **** off
    To be honest, if you've got your daughter telling you to '**** off' at 17 then slapping her won't really have much effect, you've already pretty much failed as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    For a split second I though the thread was "my mother hits on me", ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyndzxx)
    But that is conparasion to conparing a stanger who has hit you then your mother that has known of you for years.
    That's twisted logic.

ReputationRep:
    hitting some one who is smaller or weaker than yourself is the act of a bully.
    hit her back hard she wont bloody do it again.

my dad used to hit me and my brother quite badly until one day he hit my brother and we both went for him at the same time (we were about sixteen and fourteen at the time) my dad ended up with a black eye (from me) and bloody nose (from my brother) and several bruises though he landed a few back as well.
    he never raised his fist to either of us again and now 8 years on we get along fine.

there is no need to hit a child (though i can think of a few who deserve a sound kicking) if it raised properly and certainly not at your age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mother has hit me alot over the last few year. So I hit her back the last time now she acting like i'm an evil person that needs serious help. Do I need help?
    depends on how old you are... if you're 15+ and she still hits you, then its good to have a backbone and stand up for yourself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    hitting some one who is smaller or weaker than yourself is the act of a bully.
    hit her back hard she wont bloody do it again.

my dad used to hit me and my brother quite badly until one day he hit my brother and we both went for him at the same time (we were about sixteen and fourteen at the time) my dad ended up with a black eye (from me) and bloody nose (from my brother) and several bruises though he landed a few back as well.he never raised his fist to either of us again and now 8 years on we get along fine.

there is no need to hit a child (though i can think of a few who deserve a sound kicking) if it raised properly and certainly not at your age
    Same here... accept i have NEVER forgiven my father because i was terrified of him and it ruined most of my child hood.. on the other hand my mum has only ever tapped my hand to tell me off when i was naughty, she used to punish me by taking away a toy or something and i have so much respect for mum for the way she raised me and my brother. We both turned out well manner and nice people in my oppinion. On the other hand i don't have anything to do with my dad anymore and i believe that if my mum had of been the same as my dad, i would have turned out a violent bully to my children also.
    Whatever any of you say i think it is bull**** that you need to smack a child. They learn in other ways! Trust me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.