Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly for such a thing to exist, you have to ask why there would be a white society, what would they indeed do? What is white society? These issues are important in creating a full argument then simply hypothesisng a basic question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouijaouija)
    Firstly for such a thing to exist, you have to ask why there would be a white society, what would they indeed do? What is white society? These issues are important in creating a full argument then simply hypothesisng a basic question
    In short:

Think up all the ways you would answer that for a black society, take out the reasons that use the word "orppression", and then swap the word black for white.

Those are your reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would "celebrate" white culture:

(Original post by trixx)
    In my university we have ethnic societies but it doesn't mean you have to be of a particular race to become a member. It's not some kind of niche thing. It's just a society set up to celebrate a certain culture.
    would not be allowed though. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    And i am asking you, what is white culture? can we define white culture, and therefore in what instance can it be celebrated, that isn't already done so outside of it?

ReputationRep:
    And i am asking you, what is white culture? can we define white culture, and therefore in what instance can it be celebrated, that isn't already done so outside of it?
    Its as hard/easy to define as black culture.

What is black culture?

ReputationRep:
    true, but then again there are no black societies

ReputationRep:
    true, but then again there are no black societies
    Oh really? Since when? You want me to have to google for examples?

ReputationRep:
    the original argument was based upon university societies, societies on the internet would be different, you'll find many societies based upon defending rights etc.

but be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    If someone set up a black society where the condition for membership or for participation was that you were black that would be exclusionist and unacceptable. As it is these societies are not like that. I'm white and I frequently get invited to events organised by the uni African and Caribbean society. Likewise if you wanted to set up a British culture soc, celebrating the traditions and institiutions of this country then that would be equally acceptable provided you weren't exclusively a white society and you made it available to all.

ReputationRep:
    a very very good post nefarious. All societies in my university are not exclusive, anyone can join. societies are all about learning and meeting others with similar interests.

ReputationRep:
    How about a whole university?

http://www.howard.edu/

How about a Scholarship only for blacks?

http://www.uncf.org/

Enough for now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    If someone set up a black society where the condition for membership or for participation was that you were black that would be exclusionist and unacceptable. As it is these societies are not like that. I'm white and I frequently get invited to events organised by the uni African and Caribbean society. Likewise if you wanted to set up a British culture soc, celebrating the traditions and institiutions of this country then that would be equally acceptable provided you weren't exclusively a white society and you made it available to all.
    Some are like that some are not.

Even if you dont have overt exclusion - there is a common thing called indirect discrimination. It happens all the time.

ReputationRep:
    As long as people keep preserving the idea that there is some fundamental difference between people of different skin colours, racism and related issues will continue to surface. While racism is not decreasing in society in general, racism from institutions is still abundant, and now mainly directed against white people. That "United Negro College Fund" is a good example. If things like that were stopped, I genuinely believe that would not only be beneficial to white people, but would also reduce anti-black racism. You see, a scholarship purely for black people implies that black people are in some way worse than white people and so need their own special support. If the playing field is truly levelled, and not just levelled in parts and left unbalanced where it favours minorities, I think the first step towards a genuine end to racism and a society where, rather than consciously trying to make people equal, people simply don't care about skin colour any more than they do about eye colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    As long as people keep preserving the idea that there is some fundamental difference between people of different skin colours, racism and related issues will continue to surface. While racism is not decreasing in society in general, racism from institutions is still abundant, and now mainly directed against white people. That "United Negro College Fund" is a good example. If things like that were stopped, I genuinely believe that would not only be beneficial to white people, but would also reduce anti-black racism. You see, a scholarship purely for black people implies that black people are in some way worse than white people and so need their own special support. If the playing field is truly levelled, and not just levelled in parts and left unbalanced where it favours minorities, I think the first step towards a genuine end to racism and a society where, rather than consciously trying to make people equal, people simply don't care about skin colour any more than they do about eye colour.
    Well, to be fair it implies not that they are inherently worse, but that their social situation, and aspirations, finances etc are worse.

Only problem is - there are plenty of uneducated, poor whties too.

Poverty and ignorance is not the province of blacks, such traits arent racially picky.

ReputationRep:
    Our University has a Ceilidh society, as well as Welsh Society, and Scots Society(I think), a European Society all of which are open to anyone. I personally would not mind a white society. I think it would be very interesting, expecially considering that many people in the Ceildh society are international students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Some are like that some are not.

Even if you dont have overt exclusion - there is a common thing called indirect discrimination. It happens all the time.
    Well what is it you want then? You want there to be white societies at uuniversity, where anyone who doesn't have white skin isn't allowed to join? Because as it stands, that is not the case right now with any group. White people can join in with afro-caribbean societies. If they don't don't blame it on indirect discrimination! Fact is, the rules still allow white people to join them. If the people in them are unfriendly, as you say, thats life, and that could be inherent. Bu the rules are still there.

And it's about culture, and not skin colour. These minority societies are for people with specific interests. In afro-caribbean societies(and i'm not at uni yet, so can't be conclusive), they probably go to west- indian eateries, watch "black" films, go to black history events, listen to "black" music- music that a majority of black people would like,rather. They probably talk about life experiences,a nd laugh about all of the similarites that so many black families have- like going to a Christening of someone you've never heard of before, and then realising that the person is actually your cousin! nd then having to meet a load of old black grannies who pinch your cheeks and ask about your mother, even though they don't know you. Its jst quaint little things like this that nearly ALL black people go through, and its fun to meet up and talk. Its just about fun and culture. Why the hell should a society be set up that dictates who can join from the colour of skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Well what is it you want then? You want there to be white societies at uuniversity, where anyone who doesn't have white skin isn't allowed to join? Because as it stands, that is not the case right now with any group. White people can join in with afro-caribbean societies. If they don't don't blame it on indirect discrimination!
    Please, read my posts. The point is a broader one, and I have provided examples of racially exclusive educational institutions.

Regardless, indirect discrimination exists. Would you be suprised if certain groups made others feel unwelcome?

Regardless, its a side point, and one that detracts from the main one.

Fact is, the rules still allow white people to join them. If the people in them are unfriendly, as you say, thats life, and that could be inherent. Bu the rules are still there.
    See above.

And it's about culture, and not skin colour. These minority societies are for people with specific interests. In afro-caribbean societies(and i'm not at uni yet, so can't be conclusive), they probably go to west- indian eateries, watch "black" films, go to black history events, listen to "black" music- music that a majority of black people would like,rather. They probably talk about life experiences,a nd laugh about all of the similarites that so many black families have- like going to a Christening of someone you've never heard of before, and then realising that the person is actually your cousin! nd then having to meet a load of old black grannies who pinch your cheeks and ask about your mother, even though they don't know you. Its jst quaint little things like this that nearly ALL black people go through, and its fun to meet up and talk. Its just about fun and culture. Why the hell should a society be set up that dictates who can join from the colour of skin?
    And if such a society was set up for white culture, then it would be attackd by many as racist.

Again though - you are missing the broader point, and the broader examples. I'm not sure if that is deliberate or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    To have a 'whites' society would be exclusionist in nature. We LIVE in a white majority, daily life is the white society. Turn on the TV and you'll see white reporters reporting white, British news and entertainment in the majority of cases. Minorities may wish to have their own group to bring eachother together and celebrate their minority culture. I'm sure in some cases this may extend to being exclusionist, but it's not a case of double standards in the majority of cases.
    Oh, but it IS a case of double standards. Even though the majority of people in this country are white, one still cannot escape the black, Asian, etc. faces. This is evident across the board in Western, multicultural life. Sure, if I turned on the television I would mostly see white reporters, but I would still see a large amount of non-white reporters.

The people who make black, Asian, etc. societies at university are clearly showing that they want to be with their 'own kind' - something which is considered racist when a white person wants the same. These people want so-called undiluted societies; but when a white wants the same, they are accused of racism. Of course there is a double-standard!

The funny thing is, the people who condone such exclusionist groups for non-whites are the same people who say mundane things such as "Race doesn't exist."

ReputationRep:
    When they have "black" societies, it isn't about the skin colour. Its about black culture- they probably organise social events to rnb clubs, dinners at west-indian restaurants, festivals, etc etc. Whie people could join too if they wanted! The clubs are NOT ABOUT SKIN COLOUR!!!
    So, considering what you said, would you condemn or condone a white society which celebrates white culture? A society which supposedly isn't about skin colour?

ReputationRep:
    societies like these are created due to the fact they are a minority in number and many would argue, more oppressed.

The dominant 'white' are not.
    That is absolute bull. No ethnic minority groups are widely oppressed in university! They are not widely oppressed in the UK as a whole, either! Stop thinking in the past.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.