Turn on thread page Beta

Life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To the OP, I would be concerned that you view life with such a low perspective, but if you have genuine problems, such as losing any sense of meaning in life or loss of identity, it may help to talk about it in more detail. Don't worry that what you feel is abnormal, however, it is a natural human feeling, and perhaps what you need is something that truly arouses your passion, something to truly live for - it seems at the moment you have nothing to fulfil it. I have similar feelings too - I don't want to live a life with a 9 to 5 office job, go to work, eat and sleep for the rest of my life, but instead of accepting it and saying life is rubbish and becoming resigned, I want to do all in my power to make life how I wish it to be. That doesn't mean I WILL, but I will try my very best. This sort of perspective might be difficult to adopt, but as long as you can find happiness in your life, it doesn't matter what way you achieve it (apart from something bizarrely harmful like murdering or something..lol).
    I view life as a true gift, a short spark of consciousness to experience the world around us, and afterwards, eternal nothingness, so I would like to make of the most of the time in between.

ReputationRep:
    Life is like your favourite computer game (though it means a hundred times more). You either carry on and face the challenges until the end and experience many things along the way, and even make it onto the high scores board, or quit now and always be remembered as the sad loser who gave up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    Life is like your favourite computer game (though it means a hundred times more).
    LIES! JUST PLAIN LIES :mad:

ReputationRep:
    yeah I see you have a point.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you have symptoms of depression. You *can* get it sorted though. Start by going and see your doctor about it. Talk to your family about it if you can. There are various ways of dealing with depression: medication, counselling etc etc and it's up to you which way you choose. Just make sure you investigate fully the pros and cons of each treatment.

You won't feel like this forever, even if it feels like it now. Some of my friends were previously diagnosed as being depressed and are now so much better having had treatment. You *will* get through it! The more you believe it, the easier it will happen.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else think it is utterly devoid of meaning, spent doing pointless and mundane things, coloured with misery and completely worthless? Does anyone just wish that they didn't wake up again each morning and can't wait to get life over with?
    yes.life sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think it is utterly devoid of meaning, spent doing pointless and mundane things, coloured with misery and completely worthless? Does anyone just wish that they didn't wake up again each morning and can't wait to get life over with?
    I often wish I didn't wake up again in the morning because life is extremely sh*t at the moment. However it hasn't always been sh*t and I don't think it always will be. I've got ambitions for the future and I really hope my life will be easier to deal with once I've left home + all the problems I've got used to here. Life changes + it's worth sticking around just to find out what happens. Some bits are mundane but I think once you're able to feel less miserable then they don't seem such a chore.

ReputationRep:
    Actually ive had a lot of thoughts about life being pretty pointless and death being really annoying. Thats why I want to do somethign really meaningful with my life and make a real difference, because if I dont, noone will remember my name in 100 years, which sucks. Or you cna just have a lot of children and your legacy will live on with them. Imagine if you have 2 children who have 2 children etc etc. After 5 generations, you wouldve created 32 people!! After 15 generations 32768 people! hooray! you can make your own army.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... But it's far too much effort comitting suicide.

(Original post by theepw)
    Yes... But it's far too much effort comitting suicide.
    yeah i agree. U might not suceed and end up spending your time in JAIL

ReputationRep:
    I have SO many theories on this subject.

Do u ever think that absolutely everything around u (life if u want to call it) could be generated by ureself , and you are living a 'matrix' style existence in a world forged by ure own mind. I mean the only thing that u really know exists is ureself.

ReputationRep:
    i feel like this all the time at the moment. My mum is emigrating next sunday to portugal so i have no where to live in the summer when im back for 4 months. my "fiance" just told me he doesnt find me attractive anymore and called it all off. im failing uni, im over a grand overdrawn. i just dont know where to start!

ReputationRep:
    Not really your theory is it!

I have a theory in why I might believe in something after death.

If there wasnt anything after death:

Just think if you died now, you wouldnt remember anything, including you reading this or the rest of your life.

If you died in 5 minutes time, you wouldnt remember anything or be conscious of anything in the last 5 minutes or the rest of your life.

soooo

There is something after death:

Or you wouldnt be conscious of this moment and what you are reading now etc. But you are conscious of it all so there must be!

Makes no sense but one day theyll erect great statues of me.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoying life is easy, as long as you go into everything with a positive attitude. I hae had a couple of brief periods when things haven't been going will, but they always pass. I noticed that when I'm not in a good mood, I actuvely try not to enjoy things. If you want to make your life miserable for yourself, it's very, just focus on the positive things and make the most of them, and you'll feel fine.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like somebody needs a girlfriend :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love my life. I live in a great country, I have an amazing girlfriend, I have been brought up well and am taking advantage of all the other aspects that are on offer!

Life is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    no, because we're not all whiney emos

ReputationRep:
    Oh stop thinking so hard and go out on a date:p:

ReputationRep:

If you feel like that, i would seriously consider seeing a doctor for depression. I hate hearing people saying things like this. I have lost 3 people aged 15-20 who would love to have their life back... try and see a doctor, there are so many great things in life that you should enjoy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.