Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

yeah stop posting as anonymous. Its ******* annoying

ReputationRep:
    whoops :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up. But I would like to make a polite request that people refrain from posting anonymously if it is not absolutely necessary.

Obviuosly in certain threads it makes sense. But surely when we are talking about 'health and relationships' we should, on the most part be able to speak openly, honestly and un-ashamedly. It is rather a large chunk of everyone's life after all!

I think that for a lot of people it's just become a habit and I find it counter-productive and wrong headed in some threads.
    Define absolutely necessary. What might seem like a pointless use of the function to you, might not to someone else, especially if the nature of any advice given is personally sensitive...

ReputationRep:
    Ive used personal issues to me all the time but don't bother posting annon. Its a forum and even if it is personal nobody is gunna jump through the screen and laugh at u.

Dude, shut up.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Eh... :confused:
    there was this person,i don't know if she still does it,but she'd reply anon with to threads in H&R and then at the end she'd sign her name. and this would be like general stuff everyone knows like e.g at the age of 22,you can go for a cancer test, and she'd reply anon and sign her name at the bottom. there was no point and a few people including myself found it annoying.

i think it's good that they put the anon feature. like say if you've got a problem and you don't want people to think of you differently etc,you can post anon. ok the threads that ask about 'giving head to boys' etc, i find annoying,it's not necessary to post anon,but then i don't really mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Dude, shut up.
    I can c your quite the clever one . . .
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by zav)
    I can c your quite the cleaver one . . .
    You might wanna edit that....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    You might wanna edit that....
    ha thanks my spelling is bad true ow well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    Different issues are sensitive to different people. Why should some members be able to dictate when it's okay to use anon for everyone else?
    I agree, and that is the members choice. However there has also been a lot of posts which really should not be anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I agree, and that is the members choice. However there has also been a lot of posts which really should not be anonymous.
    You've just agreed and then disagreed. It's not up to anyone but the poster to judge if a particular post should be anonymous or not.

Therefore I suggest everyone stops moaning. After all, how does it possibly affect you if somebody posts anonymously or not?

(Original post by strawberry)
    well anonymous people asking for advice because they don't want other people whom they know roam this site to see what they're asking is okay. but giving advice anonymously is ridiculous.
    I beg to differ. Certain topics are slightly sensitive, for example abuse, and if a person has experienced it themselves they might want to give advice without revealing their indentity.

I agree that anonymous posting can be annoying, and I try to do it as little as possible because it is sometimes nicer to receive advice from a non anonymous person, as it feels somewhat more personal. Just sometimes when you're giving first hand advice you want to stay anonymous.

Besides, if you're talking about people abusing the system i.e. to make snide comments, then the mods can always check who the people are and punish accordingly.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by suuuuuuseh)
    I beg to differ. Certain topics are slightly sensitive, for example abuse, and if a person has experienced it themselves they might want to give advice without revealing their indentity.

I agree that anonymous posting can be annoying, and I try to do it as little as possible because it is sometimes nicer to receive advice from a non anonymous person, as it feels somewhat more personal. Just sometimes when you're giving first hand advice you sometimes want to stay anonymous.

Besides, if you're talking about people abusing the system i.e. to make snide comments, then the mods can always check who the people are and punish accordingly.
    i agree with the personal part like if you've been abused and stuff,but people replying saying 'it's best to see a doc' and doing so anon is just stupid. but i don't mind otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Say if i was to post something about person 'X' l wouldn't mind letting ppl know its me but id still post annonymously incase that person signs up, realises their mate Ted is EM and looks up his threads.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Eccentric Man)
    Say if i was to post something about person 'X' l wouldn't mind letting ppl know its me but id still post annonymously incase that person signs up, realises their mate Ted is EM and looks up his threads.
    that's ok if it's a problem and they could google you anytime (google eccentric man,it'll turn up with Tsr :rolleyes:). i think it's ok.others might disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shylock)
    that's ok if it's a problem and they could google you anytime (google eccentric man,it'll turn up with Tsr :rolleyes:). i think it's ok.others might disagree.
    True, but what kinda SADDO googles songs by the Groundhogs???????...........

Except me
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    True, but what kinda SADDO googles songs by the Groundhogs???????...........

Except me
    i google things :p: google is a very good search engine ..yes indeed...

ReputationRep:
    :rock:
    (Original post by Shylock)
    i google things :p: google is a very good search engine ..yes indeed...
    Even worse i'm currently rockin' to it :cool:

Sorry, useless bit of info

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't bother me, but people constantly complaining about them doing it does. why even care?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :rock: Even worse i'm currently rockin' to it :cool:

Sorry, useless bit of info
    lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.