Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

International Views on China joining ASEAN watch

ReputationRep:
    Greece supports any form of growth - it pleases us to see a unity of countries which wish to address urgent problems in the respected area.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately other countries supporting China is not going to pressure us into granting her membership.

China simply does not fit into the structure and purpose of ASEAN - we're a regional organisation for a reason.

Anyway what the heck, ASEAN members, where art thou!

ReputationRep:
    India wishes to know why a vote is not being held among ASEAN members to decide this? India believes it is not the business of the UN whether or not China joins this organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Unfortunately other countries supporting China is not going to pressure us into granting her membership.

China simply does not fit into the structure and purpose of ASEAN - we're a regional organisation for a reason.

Anyway what the heck, ASEAN members, where art thou!
    China feels it is for the ASEAN members to decide, not Singapore. China meets requirements you set down, and still you say it is not near enough.

ReputationRep:
    Malaysia seconds Singapore in support that China should not join ASEAN in the consideration that China is a large country (if not THE largest) and can/will cause ASEAN's power to lean over towards it. Isn't China one of the larger powers in the global community? Malaysia does not wish the joining of China to cause the "dilution" of discussive power by the other ASEAN members, meaning that it is very possible that China (being very large) would conduct most of ASEAN's power should she join it.

Moreover, only a very very small portion of China is counted as part of South East Asia.
    ASEAN = Association of South East Asian Nations.

I brought this subject up because it seems to be that the members of ASEAN do not agree to the joining of China in the organization. ((in the newspapers and all))

ReputationRep:
    And guess what? Malaysia is the chairman of ASEAN now.

Woo, we have the Chair's support.

Common, it's never going to happen. Not in RL.

ReputationRep:
    If we had enough active ASEAN MUN reps, then we could. But right now it looks like only strawberry and myself, both of whom have spoken.

ReputationRep:
    in RL, I guess the main reason they won't allow China in is because of that power balance, which is the reason I have brought up Weird really. I mean Malaysia split with Singapore because of the Chinese outnumbering native Malays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    in RL, I guess the main reason they won't allow China in is because of that power balance, which is the reason I have brought up Weird really. I mean Malaysia split with Singapore because of the Chinese outnumbering native Malays.
    Yes, the communist movement back then was extremely rife and strong. The PAP did however managed to crack down hard against it. We're an awesome cosmopolitan now.

I can just imagine China abusing her position in ASEAN should she be granted membership, heh.

ReputationRep:
    Malaysia does not think that China would abuse her position in ASEAN should she be granted admission, however she would have a big influence on any future ASEAN decisions...especially on issues such as war and otherwise because she would be the biggest asset.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying China will do that -- but if she has a hidden agenda, she can certainly push through with it without other ASEAN countries being able to voice their opinion. No amount of veto'ing nor modification of the ASEAN charter will work when it comes to international organisations, especially when it's the big guy behaving badly. After all, the people who enforce laws on states are the states themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Greece ponders whether China joined the ASEAN for power - China would certainly be the most influencial member of the board, and could manipulate fellow countries into working for China - and China would certainly have the power do force countries into doing so, to support war etc.

ReputationRep:
    China can manipulate countries in the region without being in ASEAN, we want to be in the MUN purely for the benefit of our economy and the economy of the region.

China would definetly have Cambodia's support, and I'm fairly confident of Vietnam's support also, and Myanmar would vote for our entry because they're clinigng close to us at the moment to protect them from UN SC sanctions due to their human rights record,so voting would be equal or in China's favour if this was the case.

You have to admit this thread is getting pretty heated considering CHina doesn't actually want to join ASEAN, preferring to be in competition with it since that is more beneficial than a monopoly :/

ReputationRep:
    Malaysia confirms the belief that it is possible for China to do so and therefore, supports the notion that she should not be allowed into ASEAN. However, the impression at the moment is that China DOES want to join ASEAN for apparent reasons unknown. (RL I mean)

ReputationRep:
    I think to many South Asian countries are trying to suckle on the grand teets of China in order to have security granted.

ReputationRep:
    As representative of China: Ooh Matron :p:

ReputationRep:
    LOL Malaysia corrects the spelling of 'teats" :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightowl)
    China can manipulate countries in the region without being in ASEAN, we want to be in the MUN purely for the benefit of our economy and the economy of the region.

China would definetly have Cambodia's support, and I'm fairly confident of Vietnam's support also, and Myanmar would vote for our entry because they're clinigng close to us at the moment to protect them from UN SC sanctions due to their human rights record,so voting would be equal or in China's favour if this was the case.

You have to admit this thread is getting pretty heated considering CHina doesn't actually want to join ASEAN, preferring to be in competition with it since that is more beneficial than a monopoly :/
    Yeah, does China really want to join ASEAN in RL anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I don't read the news myself seeing that it's all usually in Japanese but we were discussing China wanting to join ASEAN in my economics class

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! They want good relations, but have expressed no interest (as far as I can see) in actually joining.

Perhaps your discussing it hypthetically?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.