Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    that will hurt!!!!!!!!! Imagine! :eek: A needle stick into your brest and suck the fluid!!!!Ouch!
    So you'd rather potentially have to lose your whole breast, have to have chemo and radiotherapy, and may be develop terminal illness. Yeah... sensible!

ReputationRep:
    agreeing with fluffy - regardless of how young/old you are, lumps in the breast can have serious consequences. A friend of our family had a breast cancer scare at SEVENTEEN! It DOES happen so don't waste time on here when you know full well you should be seeing your doctor

(Original post by JackieS)
    agreeing with fluffy - regardless of how young/old you are, lumps in the breast can have serious consequences. A friend of our family had a breast cancer scare at SEVENTEEN! It DOES happen so don't waste time on here when you know full well you should be seeing your doctor
    Yeah you guys r right but i have to leave it till after the exams tho. It's weird to let a male Dr to examine me breast tho!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You can request to see a female doctor

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you guys r right but i have to leave it till after the exams tho. It's weird to let a male Dr to examine me breast tho!!
    Why do you keep making up excuses not to go to the doctor? ^o)

(Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    You can request to see a female doctor
    even if my registered GP is a male?

Do you have a death wish or something? Make an appointment now.

ReputationRep:
    even if my registered GP is a male?
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    Make an emergency appointment for this afternoon. I can not stress the importance of early detection if things are a little more sinister. To be blunt it could be the difference between life and death. Especially as 'early onset' breast cancer tends to be very aggressive.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

On a tangent but related note, I met a 17 year old girl last week who had gone blind. It turned out to be because she had diabetes, and kept putting off going to the gp. It was totally avoidable, and now she has to face that every day for the rest of her life.

(Original post by Talya)
    Why do you keep making up excuses not to go to the doctor? ^o)
    Because I'M TERRIFIED OF NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

ReputationRep:
    Because I'M TERRIFIED OF NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    You might not even need a needle biopsy - and if you do the GP won't do it, it's a hospital proceedure. And believe me, having spent 2 years volunteering in a hospice, a needle is infinitely preferable to a slow, painful death.

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Make an emergency appointment for this afternoon. I can not stress the importance of early detection if things are a little more sinister. To be blunt it could be the difference between life and death. Especially as 'early onset' breast cancer tends to be very aggressive.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

On a tangent but related note, I met a 17 year old girl last week who had gone blind. It turned out to be because she had diabetes, and kept putting off going to the gp. It was totally avoidable, and now she has to face that every day for the rest of her life.
    OK OK i'll go and make an appointment TODAY!
    Am i allow to make an emergency appointment in the local clinic or do i have to go to the hospital?

ReputationRep:
    OK OK i'll go and make an appointment TODAY!
    Am i allow to make an emergency appointment in the local clinic or do i have to go to the hospital?
    No - a GP appointment is what you need. Ask to see a female if that makes you feel better, although bear in mind it might not be possible and your GP really has seen it all before.

What will probably happen if you'll have a manual breast examination, your doc will ask you questions about the lump, whether it chances in size or disappears during your menstrual cycle etc.

Then he'll decide if it's likely to be something more sinister and refer you on to hospital is necessary. You will be seen at clinic/hospital within 2 weeks if that is the case. It's at this stage you might have to have a fine needle biopsy.

If it's benign,then there may be something that they can do, if you want them too. Especially if it's causing you discomfort and you can feel it against your bra.

Chances are it's nothing, but the risk is always there and I think you're being very sensible.

ReputationRep:
    Have a read of this, to put your mind at some degree of rest. It's aimed at GPs, but isn't overly filled with medical jargon and gives you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000260/

This is more patient based:
    http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/br...awareness.html

Hope everything works out well for you.

BW

No - a GP appointment is what you need. Ask to see a female if that makes you feel better, although bear in mind it might not be possible and your GP really has seen it all before.

What will probably happen if you'll have a manual breast examination, your doc will ask you questions about the lump, whether it chances in size or disappears during your menstrual cycle etc.

Then he'll decide if it's likely to be something more sinister and refer you on to hospital is necessary. You will be seen at clinic/hospital within 2 weeks if that is the case. It's at this stage you might have to have a fine needle biopsy.

If it's benign,then there may be something that they can do, if you want them too. Especially if it's causing you discomfort and you can feel it against your bra.

Chances are it's nothing, but the risk is always there and I think you're being very sensible.
    Ok thanks. I'll go today.:ahhhhh: :bawling:
    I didn't feel the pain against my bra, what i was saying was i can feel it while i'm trying to wear my bra because i have to adjust it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. I'll go today.:ahhhhh: :bawling:
    I didn't feel the pain against my bra, what i was saying was i can feel it while i'm trying to wear my bra because i have to adjust it.
    No I understand - a minor as it might be, at the very least it's a 'quality of life' issue - you're having to make adjustments to feel normal, and you're totally justified in seeing your GP for that alone. Then you factor that you have a breast lump. These things should be taken very seriously.

As I said, it probably is nothing, but I've made the mistake of doing the supportive 'I'm sure it's just a cyst' thing before, and got my fingers burnt.

No I understand - a minor as it might be, at the very least it's a 'quality of life' issue - you're having to make adjustments to feel normal, and you're totally justified in seeing your GP for that alone. Then you factor that you have a breast lump. These things should be taken very seriously.

As I said, it probably is nothing, but I've made the mistake of doing the supportive 'I'm sure it's just a cyst' thing before, and got my fingers burnt.
    Anyway u convinced me. i just asked my mum for the number of the clinic.
    ahhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Lumps in the breast are more often than not completely harmless, i had one examined that was just a very lumpy bit of healthy breast tissue, and they can be benign cysts as said above. BUT in rare cases it can be cancerous even if you're young, and it's always better to be safe than sorry, and surely it's better to have your mind put at rest?! SO GO TO A DR!!!

All they will do is feel the lumps, and if they think there's anything to worry about they'll send you to have an ultra-sound scan, and if the scan shows anything suspicious you'll have a needle biopsy. Yes, it might be a bit embarrassing to have your breasts looked at and prodded by strangers, and a biopsy might hurt, but it's far better than the possible consequences of not having it done! Think if a friend confided in you that she felt a lump in her breast- you'd drag her to the dr's kicking and screaming, because that's the sensible thing to do, right? Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    why do you have to leave it? The sooner you're seen the better.

If yu don't want a man then request a woman

ReputationRep:
    Anyway u convinced me. i just asked my mum for the number of the clinic.
    ahhhhhhhhhhh
    Well done, that decision is one of the hardest parts... and I really hope it's nothing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.