Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

deutsche bank 'i have a dream' programme watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    DPM, Im sure if you compare those few going into IB and those going to be army officers youd find that the IB's outstrip them by a mile.....

And Economics and Banking can make many life changing differences, you wouldnt knock a biologist or chemistry grad for wanting to make something that changes lives for the better so why have a go at economic grads. I can guarantee you that PB will probably make a bigger difference to more lives than you would as an army officer... it may seem rude and irrational but its the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kb500)
    Yes it does, is an answer to my question to you forthcoming?
    What question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    DPM, Im sure if you compare those few going into IB and those going to be army officers youd find that the IB's outstrip them by a mile.....

And Economics and Banking can make many life changing differences, you wouldnt knock a biologist or chemistry grad for wanting to make something that changes lives for the better so why have a go at economic grads. I can guarantee you that PB will probably make a bigger difference to more lives than you would as an army officer... it may seem rude and irrational but its the truth.
    Hmm, I doubt it, if bankers are so good why can't I remember any famous bankers from the last few hundreds of years whereas many great soldiers come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'll accept people's reasons for not wanting to join the armed forces. I'm not saying being an officer is the be all and end all of jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Hmm, I doubt it, if bankers are so good why can't I remember any famous bankers from the last few hundreds of years whereas many great soldiers come to mind.
    Bankers have created capitalist soceity as we know it today, there are plenty of famous ones, just because you personally don't know of them this does not mean they don't exist. My question to you was what is your motivation for joining the armed forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kb500)
    Bankers have created capitalist soceity as we know it today, there are plenty of famous ones, just because you personally don't know of them this does not mean they don't exist. My question to you was what is your motivation for joining the armed forces?
    Where do I start?
    *Good pay
    *Enjoyable
    *Good Prospects
    *I reckon I would do well
    *Comradeship
    *Doing a job that matters
    *Working around like minded people
    *Brings open many career paths outside the Army
    *I'm patriotic
    *Travel
    *Respect
    *Non-military things offered by the army like sport, AT, qualifications.

(Original post by DPM)
    Do you know who invented the internet?
    How about made the first car?
    Who designed the first nuclear power plant?
    Who created nylon?

Important people made these things among many others. You may know them, I suspect you probably don't. And even though Katie Price (Jordan) is perhaps more famous than them, they doesn't mean that she is more important, good or great.

Really glad to see the UK is being defended by a genius like yourself. How you failed to identify:

I would love to know what your motivation for joining the army is
    As a question and needed it to be repeated, I find difficult to fathom. Maybe your superior intellect can be applied to enlightening me?

At least being bloodthirsty isn't in the list of motivations... although it did worry me when you said:

Peace would reduce my chances of a future job.
    I don't knock the armed forces for doing what they do, but war isn't particularly good for humanity. (And it isn't very good for business )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Really glad to see the UK is being defended by a genius like yourself. How you failed to identify:
    I would love to know what your motivation for joining the army is
    As a question and needed it to be repeated, I find difficult to fathom. Maybe your superior intellect can be applied to enlightening me?
    If you are being so pedantic, there was no question mark. Surely a question ends with a ?.

(And it isn't very good for business :wink: )
    Surely it does? Didn't the second world war bring America out of the great depression? Doesn't war speed up technological advances? Surely that's good for business then?

Who created nylon?
    I'm materials science student, and got told a story about the scientist who did it from one of my lecturers. He committed suicide because of the pressures placed upon him to market the nylon himself. You might say business did that to him.

(Original post by DPM)
    If you are being so pedantic, there was no question mark. Surely a question ends with a ?.
    Some people have the seemingly magical ability to interpret a question by tone of text. Just like I did.

Surely it does? Didn't the second world war bring America out of the great depression? Doesn't war speed up technological advances? Surely that's good for business then?
    Technological progress and economic development worldwide has never so fast as it has now in this longest period of relatively significant worldwide peace. Ever. Historically (such as, the Renaissance), peace has also been good for humanity and business. NB - having had this debate for, the Romans were victims and winners out of war at various times.

I'm materials science student, and got told a story about the scientist who did it from one of my lecturers. He committed suicide because of the pressures placed upon him to market the nylon himself. You might say business did that to him.
    Strawman? What does that have to do with the fact he is important and few people know who he is? If you really want to continue down that line, many soldiers kill themselves. But I would really suggest that people do that because of the pressure of life, whatever it may be, in its relativistic forms.

ReputationRep:
    Shall we just agree to disagree?

(Original post by DPM)
    Shall we just agree to disagree?
    No? I think I and others will quite happily continue to demonstrate that the financial sector has a great number of excellent jobs on offer. Hence the number of brilliant people who flock to it year on year.

I can accept the armed forces offer something to people who want what they offer, but I think you're being stupid unreasonable to brand finance sector jobs 'bad' because they don't suit you. You quite evidently knew very little about them and who goes into them.

I'll even forgive those pretty shabby attempts to justify your feeling that finance is awful.

ReputationRep:
    No? I think I and others will quite happily continue to demonstrate that the financial sector has a great number of excellent jobs on offer. Hence the number of brilliant people who flock to it year on year.

I can accept the armed forces offer something to people who want what they offer, but I think you're being stupid unreasonable to brand finance sector jobs 'bad' because they don't suit you. You quite evidently knew very little about them and who goes into them.

I'll even forgive those pretty shabby attempts to justify your feeling that finance is awful.
    If you read through my previous posts, I did say I understand peoples reasons for having such a career. I just think you're over emphasising the effect such a job has on the country.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have the seemingly magical ability to interpret a question by tone of text. Just like I did.
    Something to do with wavelengths and being on the same one...

(Original post by DPM)
    If you read through my previous posts, I did say I understand peoples reasons for having such a career. I just think you're over emphasising the effect such a job has on the country.
    Do you do many things that don't at some point depend on finance?

Markets of all sorts require efficient allocation at every step and especially in the biggest potential holes.

If you depend upon just about any major business to provide something (say, water, electricity, gas, the telephone lines, all public services and most of the major private ones), you at some point have indirectly depended on a banker to make sure that the finance works. That companies get paid to pay their people etc.

When finance breaksdown, you get panic. Then is when you need to get the military in to beat u[ control the riots 'angry people'. See recent cases in Russia, Argentina and large parts of South East Asia for example.

How do you think people in finance justify being paid millions?

(Original post by kb500)
    Something to do with wavelengths and being on the same one...
    ...or even being on one...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.