The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't take too much pro-plus. I took about 8 pills in one go one time. Couldn't sleep for ages...
Reply 21
Pandy
Don't take too much pro-plus. I took about 8 pills in one go one time. Couldn't sleep for ages...

Lol but you gotta admit, that stuff is a god send
Reply 22
Here is what you need to do to stay awake:
Drink coffee/tea/etc. Not too much that you end up shaking. Just enough to keep awake. The caffeine goes straight to your brain and attaches itself to nerve endings blocking your body’s naturally occuring adenosine chemical from being able to attach to those same nerve endings. Your body releases more adenosine, starts to panic because it’s not having any affect, and adrenaline is released in small amounts as a defense mechanism which increases your heart rate. It also helps to have a drink you like. Treat yourself while you’re torturing yourself. I prefer green tea with a dash (tablespoons) of sugar...
Eat a meal. You have to realize that you are extending your day to be about 50% longer. If you are on a 3 meal diet, an all-nighter calls for at least one more meal. I find 3 am is a good time to eat. It’s also important not to eat fatty foods that will make you sleepy. No one wants to jeopardize their all-nighter with a sudden food coma. Foods with carbs, such as cereal or pasta, give you energy to keep going, and will help to reduce any nausea from sleep-deprivation.
Shower. Washing your face is good too. Cold water will refresh you. It also helps to stay clean.
Listen to music. None of that wishy-washy classical stuff. Loud music. Music with beats and bass and blaring riffs. I usually go for some mentally stimulating techno or drum-n-bass.
If you can afford to, take breaks. I find 30 minutes of playing videogames that involve lots of action and violence to be especially effective at refreshing my batteries between hours of boring, monotonous homework.
As a last resort, get up and walk around. Walking gets your blood flowing. It also helps you think, in case your mind is about to explode.

All of these things are extremely helpful when you start to feel drowsy, and the key to making them work is to spread out the various techniques over the course of the night (unless multiple showers sounds like a good idea to you).

There are also things you should definitely not do, if you want to see the sunrise:
Don’t lie down. Don’t say you are just going to “put your head down for a second m’kay” because when you look up again it will be the next day. Your homework will most likely be covered in drool too. The point is to keep moving.
As I said before, don’t eat fatty food. A hamburger and french fries are not power food.
Don’t turn the lights out. Any reminders that it’s nighttime and you should be sleeping are bad. Shine a flashlight in your eyes if you need to.
And last but not least, don’t be a wimp. You have to be hardcore. You want that all-nighter. You need that all-nighter. You will get that all-nighter, and then you will tear a phonebook apart with your teeth.

(Thanks, Christian.)
Reply 23
I've been awake for about 70 hours before, I'd say skipping a night's sleep is ok, in fact I didn't sleep last night.
Reply 24
Sorry; I don't work.
Reply 25
What are these "energy pills" spoken of? Rather ambiguous... USAF style 'go-pills'?
Reply 26
parag
All you need is a load of Tesco Kick (or Sainsbury's Blue Bolt or Asda's Blue Charge :biggrin:) and whenever you feel like you're going to doze off have a swig. YOu should be alright for a few nights and then when you're done just get a few early nights in. Works for me.

Aah, Kick. :smile: All the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the side of the head. It works, though.
Reply 27
You're going to want some vallium after all that sugar and caffeine, ease your crash.
Reply 28
Valium? Why? It's an all nighter. Once you get stuck into something and have a few cups of coffee, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. While admittedly not healthy, I did one every week on a Tuesday night last term, since all my work went in on Wednesday midday and I have a significant amount of trouble motivating myself when there's plenty of time. If I started work and had coffee beside me, I never really had a problem. And when it came morning, it was fine again for some reason, so I usually went out Wednesday night too.

When it's light, your body doesn't think "I haven't slept", it sees it's light, realises it's day and tends to do just fine.

Having said that, performance is impared without sleep, so don't expect any work you do to be quite up to standard. It'll take longer too, since you work less efficiently. But I actually quite enjoy it :smile:
Reply 29
Markus Angelsdaughter
Lol but you gotta admit, that stuff is a god send

Oh aye. In moderation though. I should have learnt my lesson when I went through a pack of strepsils in one day. Lost my voice after that :frown:.
Reply 30
if doctors can do it, so can you! :wink:
i've done it several times before...staying up all night. you're going to feel really tired the day after so make sure you don't do too much work that day. the next day, if you can, try getting some sleep in the afternoon to recharge yourself. good luck in finishing all your work.
Reply 31
I can only shudder to think what a comedown off a caffeine od would be like o_o
I remember stupidly my mates and I all bought a load of proplus and snorted 4 and had another 8 at the same time for a laugh. I was buzzing and hyper for about 20 minutes before I felt like I hadn't slept at all, it was weird because I'd had so much caffeine I was actually falling asleep (that said it was a double maths lesson :laugh: )
Reply 32
Just an anecdote - my piano teacher once told me about someone he knew who was in medical school, but also some sort of virtuoso organist. He would practise the organ all day, and then study medicine during the night, putting his feet in a bowl of cold water. Apparently, your brain won't let you go to sleep if your feet are in cold water. No idea why...

Anyone ever tried it?
Reply 33
mike79
Here is what you need to do to stay awake:
Drink coffee/tea/etc. Not too much that you end up shaking. Just enough to keep awake. The caffeine goes straight to your brain and attaches itself to nerve endings blocking your body’s naturally occuring adenosine chemical from being able to attach to those same nerve endings. Your body releases more adenosine, starts to panic because it’s not having any affect, and adrenaline is released in small amounts as a defense mechanism which increases your heart rate. It also helps to have a drink you like. Treat yourself while you’re torturing yourself. I prefer green tea with a dash (tablespoons) of sugar...
Eat a meal. You have to realize that you are extending your day to be about 50% longer. If you are on a 3 meal diet, an all-nighter calls for at least one more meal. I find 3 am is a good time to eat. It’s also important not to eat fatty foods that will make you sleepy. No one wants to jeopardize their all-nighter with a sudden food coma. Foods with carbs, such as cereal or pasta, give you energy to keep going, and will help to reduce any nausea from sleep-deprivation.
Shower. Washing your face is good too. Cold water will refresh you. It also helps to stay clean.
Listen to music. None of that wishy-washy classical stuff. Loud music. Music with beats and bass and blaring riffs. I usually go for some mentally stimulating techno or drum-n-bass.
If you can afford to, take breaks. I find 30 minutes of playing videogames that involve lots of action and violence to be especially effective at refreshing my batteries between hours of boring, monotonous homework.
As a last resort, get up and walk around. Walking gets your blood flowing. It also helps you think, in case your mind is about to explode.

All of these things are extremely helpful when you start to feel drowsy, and the key to making them work is to spread out the various techniques over the course of the night (unless multiple showers sounds like a good idea to you).

There are also things you should definitely not do, if you want to see the sunrise:
Don’t lie down. Don’t say you are just going to “put your head down for a second m’kay” because when you look up again it will be the next day. Your homework will most likely be covered in drool too. The point is to keep moving.
As I said before, don’t eat fatty food. A hamburger and french fries are not power food.
Don’t turn the lights out. Any reminders that it’s nighttime and you should be sleeping are bad. Shine a flashlight in your eyes if you need to.
And last but not least, don’t be a wimp. You have to be hardcore. You want that all-nighter. You need that all-nighter. You will get that all-nighter, and then you will tear a phonebook apart with your teeth.

(Thanks, Christian.)

:rofl: thanks that was brilliant advice :smile: It's nearly half 2, I think I might sleep at 3 actually, getting a lot more done than needed :smile:

woohoo! pro plus!
Reply 34
mike79
Just an anecdote - my piano teacher once told me about someone he knew who was in medical school, but also some sort of virtuoso organist. He would practise the organ all day, and then study medicine during the night, putting his feet in a bowl of cold water. Apparently, your brain won't let you go to sleep if your feet are in cold water. No idea why...

Anyone ever tried it?

:eek:

(gotta try that)
pianist
Basically I have so much work to do by next week, and I was wondering if it's safe to stay up all night tonight, and how long does it take to get back into the routine if you stay up for only one night?
I have too much work to do and it feels so crap and I just want some way of fitting in the time to do my work. I find it easier to work at night as there are less distractions.

Anyone else feel like this? :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
I've done it a few times, but wouldn't recommend it. As a matter of fact I haven't done this since 1st + 2nd year :biggrin: I like my sleep too much these days.

I guess reduce your hours, try 6 hours of sleep instead of 7 and then at the end of that period go back to normal again. And try to wake up earlier.

HTH :smile:
Reply 36
Is there any way of not staying up all night! I alwys end up doing it, its really annoying me, especially as im going out 2moz
Reply 37
rpotter
Is there any way of not staying up all night! I alwys end up doing it, its really annoying me, especially as im going out 2moz

same here, its been about 2 weeks that i cannot go to bed at this time of the day. its like mentally im awake and not tired but physically im exhausted. someone help
Reply 38
Gio
same here, its been about 2 weeks that i cannot go to bed at this time of the day. its like mentally im awake and not tired but physically im exhausted. someone help

Yer, Ive even tried getting up really early one day, like 2 hours after I went to bed, and it still didnt work!
Reply 39
not been to bed yet either... lifes more interesting at night i guess.

i always put off assignments till the last minute and even now iv finished them i still seem to be on nightshift mode

Latest

Trending

Trending