Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so u think i should do 3 a2 instead? would lse like this ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying you should do 4 solid A2s.

Otherwise, do 3 solid A2s + ICT.

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks knogle. u could hav just said it at the start,,.. u at ur politenes!

xxX

ReputationRep:
    oh and i heard somewhere ages ago that they dont want acc, busi, because that's what we'll study in our degree, they dont want us to know in advance and yawn repeatly in some intro/easy lectures for example: one of the listed book for acc and finance is the text book for as acc, obviously we'll get so bored if we've done acc (which the case of many intl students: apply for acc and fin and already had acc Alevel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valerious)
    oh and i heard somewhere ages ago that they dont want acc, busi, because that's what we'll study in our degree, they dont want us to know in advance and yawn repeatly in some intro/easy lectures for example: one of the listed book for acc and finance is the text book for as acc, obviously we'll get so bored if we've done acc (which the case of many intl students: apply for acc and fin and already had acc Alevel.
    How can ppl study something as specific as Accounting as an A-Level ? Don't they feel it's way too early at that age ?

ReputationRep:
    but it's easy. and interesting, too what would you say bout Law? nightmare to me its always early for my whole life

ReputationRep:
    Did you meet anyone without AS or A2 Maths?

ReputationRep:
    a few, an exception rather than the norm though id say..

ReputationRep:
    Did those with A2 maths have A's? (the majority)

ReputationRep:
    yeah..put it this way if you don't get an A at alevel maths you gonna struggle when it comes to doing uni level maths :/

altho some courses content is easier than others!!

ReputationRep:
    Among the close-knit group of economics students at the LSE, we have a running gag about the candidates doing Accounting & Finance. You see, the type of candidate gunning for A&F are usually the ambitious, career-oriented ones. As such, when you meet A&F students, you're not merely greeting a new face; no, far from it, you're establishing "contacts." That is, they're all (without exception) running around tallying up and down whether you're valuable enough to be included in their "vast" network of contacts. Hence why I have taken a liking to calling them "soulless."

ReputationRep:
    lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drs1357)
    yeah..put it this way if you don't get an A at alevel maths you gonna struggle when it comes to doing uni level maths :/

altho some courses content is easier than others!!
    To be honest, given the actual content of the first year maths module MA100, getting a B would definitely not have too much of an impact. You can also always visit the Mathematics Department and if you are clearly unable to do a whole module in Maths, sometimes they let you take a half module of Maths and Stats, together with another module in something else. Not totally sure of the exact circumstances required for that 'exemption' though, so you'd have to contact LSE if you really wanted to check that.

ReputationRep:
    pfft im talking about real maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d-black)
    loadsa foreigners get in with like abb at as, even including blacklisted subjects, like accounting .
    and i thought i was the only one who noticed this!
    i have quite a few friends coming to do A & F with only BBBB-ABBB at A/S. (including a local british one though). and they have offers like "ABB"...(and one of them had less than 7A's for GCSE...only 1 A* without medical problem!) <--they didnt take blacklisted subjects though. but still....
    management even lower...someone i know with AS grades BBBC got a BBB offer.

seems like even easier to get in A&F than something like history/philosophy! (because my offer is AAB, so are 2 of my friends from singapore for history!) i wonder why some people say A&F is one of the "most competitive". is it because many people apply and the ratio makes it seem that way, when really the people involved in the competition are not that strong? (hope this doesnt offend anyone, because i am just curious why these people are getting offers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drs1357)
    pfft im talking about real maths.
    He's in actuarial science, not a very good idea to denigrate the 'fake' maths he's talking about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candystrippa)
    and i thought i was the only one who noticed this!
    i have quite a few friends coming to do A & F with only BBBB-ABBB at A/S. (including a local british one though). and they have offers like "ABB"...(and one of them had less than 7A's for GCSE...only 1 A* without medical problem!) <--they didnt take blacklisted subjects though. but still....
    management even lower...someone i know with AS grades BBBC got a BBB offer.

seems like even easier to get in A&F than something like history/philosophy! (because my offer is AAB, so are 2 of my friends from singapore for history!) i wonder why some people say A&F is one of the "most competitive". is it because many people apply and the ratio makes it seem that way, when really the people involved in the competition are not that strong? (hope this doesnt offend anyone, because i am just curious why these people are getting offers)
    Soryy candy but this isn't very informed,
    1) there are LOADS of applicants per place
    2) most offers are equal to or above AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    Soryy candy but this isn't very informed,
    1) there are LOADS of applicants per place
    2) most offers are equal to or above AAB
    hm..
    sorry!
    what i meant was, if there are LOADS of applicants per place and that A&F is extra competitive, why do I know all these people (well,7 to be exact...maybe not that much compared to the whole population doing A&F at LSE...but i assume that it is not only people I personally know with these easy offers while having not so brilliant AS grades?) who have ABB offers, with only BBBB-ABBB at a/s ?? :confused:

why is it that ALL the people i know have ABB offers not AAB? actually I myself once asked somebody who worked at LSE why some people get lower offers than standard, and that person told me "it almost never happens" but on the other hand all 7 people i know got ABB offers. i am happy for them, but it puzzles me

of course, getting into LSE is for A&F is still a great achievement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    He's in actuarial science, not a very good idea to denigrate the 'fake' maths he's talking about...

thats easy stuff im talking more stuff thats covered in proper degrees mwhahaa like maths, natsci, etc

(note i don't class econ as a proper degree )

ReputationRep:
    @ candy : don't worry, I didn't take offence lol. Well, let's face it, it's far easier to get in as an International because of all the money they bring in to the school - kinda the general opinion. Doesn't mean that they're not good students, but certainly they can get away with ABB, especially if they're 'special'.

@ drs : hope you're trolling man...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.