Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Eurovision is my favourite night of the year! Its so funny, but its way too political nowadays! Tez Wogan is such a legend!

Last year I went to my friends halls, we all got bladdered and started lighting aerosol cans on fire for some stupid reason :confused: lol! Madness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    :rofl:
    Lordi are in for Finland...
    i wonder if they'll wear their costumes on stage...

... Oh my. I might vote for them. The only Eurovision entrants I've seen live >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    ... Oh my. I might vote for them. The only Eurovision entrants I've seen live >_<
    Zombie Cheerleaders in their video - that's reason enough for them to win

ReputationRep:
    The one year we had someone decent in (1997) we actually won by a record points margin.

ReputationRep:
    Crap and a boring show, followed by strictly come dancing.

ReputationRep:
    i love eurovision, i am sad and i actually do watch alll the entrants videos before the contest and consult the website regularly throughout the year for any eurovision news. my dream would be to win eurovision, or failing that, just work for the EBU and play a part in organising it, sweeping the stage, anything. i love it. im hoping the Uk wins soon just so i can go.

its not actually that political, and anyway its the people who vote now, not a jury, and if the people vote politically, so be it. but most of the time the Uk doesnt get votes because a) the songs are rubbish and b) they dont make half as much of an effort as the other countries. countries who really want to wing go on promotional tours and stuff to whip up hype and really put a lot of work into the performance and stuff, whereas the UK (and some others) just make a half hearted attempt, no one cares about the entrant, people just moan "oh its all about politics bla blah blah" and "european pop is nowhere near as good as ours" (not really a way to get votes) and then by the time the contest comes around there is a lacklustre song with no support. The winners the last 3 years, greece, ukraine and turkey, have been fantastic pop songs with brilliant performances on stage, visually and in terms of choreography and vocals and so on. some great songs do come out of eurovision, even for the UK (Imaani was the last one in 1998, only beaten cause of dana international). you cant tell me greece only won last year because of politics, who are greece's great political allies apart from cyprus, really?

and of course you do get the odd ridiculous song which is fun.

i am a total eurovision geek. i even have the 50th anniversary book. oh dear.

terry wogan is a jerk.

ReputationRep:
    whilst the song sucks, the performance might be enough to win it, although all that tactical stuff could get in the way:s:

ReputationRep:
    I love Eurovision. It is so cheesily awful that it is actually rather amazing. And the reason why the UK never wins is because we don't care about it and never have anyone remotely famous doing our songs (Javine doesn't count as remotely famous)

And a quick fact for everyone who says we lose because of politics: The only countries that tend to vote for eachother more than GB and Ireland are Greece and Cyprus! I don't think it is really that political, its just that countries close to eachother are more likely to have similar taste in music

ReputationRep:
    The Ultimate refute to the 'UK cant win due to political voting' is this:

Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2003: UK placed 3rd
    Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2004: UK placed 2nd

Europe votes for talent, not politics (most of the time )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GerardT)
    The Ultimate refute to the 'UK cant win due to political voting' is this:
    Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2004: UK placed 2nd
    and they lost that year to a brilliant song by spain, so no hard feelings.

oh hurray i am glad i am not the only eurovision geek out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    and they lost that year to a brilliant song by spain, so no hard feelings.

oh hurray i am glad i am not the only eurovision geek out there!
    2005's was really very good too, and if she hadn't had voice problems (which she apparently did) I think she could have placed highly again. But then, I thought that the eventual winner was the worst song there - Europe collectively went a bit mental there methinks.

I wouldn't mind if they went mental again though, in the real thing and voted Iceland to victory

ReputationRep:
    I had nothing else better to do so I just looked at a few entries:

Slovenia: As I said earlier about Eurovision, so cheesily awful that it is actually rather amazing. 10/10 for campness 8/10 for the actual song

Sweden: Quite a nice song. Posesses Eurovision-ness. Nothing much else to say tbh 6/10

Spain: Las Ketchup doing a song that isn't The Ketchup Song :puke: It sounds like they are singing "too kinky, too kinky" at one point 1/10

UK: Watching this showed just how amateurish Making Your Mind Up was compared to what Sweden had (though ours featured hugely knowledgable music experts such as Kelly Osbourne and Bruno Tomioli :rolleyes:) The song is actually rather catchy though 6/10

Finland: Wow! Amazing! Very much a Scandanavian metal sound. Remider of why I need to emmigrate to Sweden/Finland. My favourite even if the start of the video does remind me of Evanescence's Going Under video. It so isn't going to win though 11/10

Germany: Crappy, boring song but the whole cowboy thing was class. tbh. i only listened to the first 30 seconds before skipping to... 2/10

Iceland. The first thing that struck me was the woman's make-up. Then her rather irritating voice. That said, it is a decent song. Sounds a bit like a Britney album track (not that I have any Britney albums of course) The talking bit just cracked me up - she sounded like Angelica from Rugrats. Overall the best video and a rather great song too 9/10

Belarus: Opening is a bit Rammstein-ish. Cheesy 80s rock. I love it 7/10

France: Yawn. next (the girl was quite hot though) 2/10

Ireland: Let's rip-off Eurique Iglesias' Hero and hope that no-one that notices. Not enough silly costume content to win Eurovision. The kind of song that will finish midtable and be forgotten very quickly. 3/10

Belgium: Obviously went to the Javine school of Trying to Look Hot When You Ming. I really have no opinion of the song whatsoever. :confused: Another one I skipped half way through 4/10

Out of all of those, Finland was my favourite but Sweden is the one that looks quite likely to win.

EDIT: Added scores out of 10 because I know how much you want to know my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Spain: Las Ketchup doing a song that is The Ketchup Song :vomit: It sounds like they are singing "too kinky, too kinky" at one point.
    i am living in spain at the moment and was most disappointed when i heard this trash. i am usually impressed with spains entry (last year and 03 were great) but this is rubbish. very poor.

i havent checked out the rest of them yet, havent even heard the UKs. might go do that now. my social life is just non stop these days.

we should have a eurovision sweepstake.

ReputationRep:
    just watched the UK entry i think we have to do away with the making your mind up thing cause it clearly only produces rubbish contestants (please tell me they arent going to continue with the overdone school uniform theme?). i think its gotta be a good old insider thing and maybe we will actually have a good song. (javine's was ok but lacked the sparkle that the quite similar greek song had that went on to win). i think the Uk entry should be decided by an expert panel including myself and shyopstv and GerardT. actually i think i should be the entrant, i am such a nerd and good student of the ESC i know exactly the kind of thing that would win. i have actually been working on ideas for eurovision songs. would never get through a UK provisional round though. i might try and get citizenship elsewhere and enter for andorra or something. andorra had a brilliant song last year.

i am reminiscing now about eurovision 2005, the swedish guy was beautiful. it was the las vegas tune, twas great. i think my all time favourite is ruslana's "go wild dances!" tune. i actually have the album. its awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Well if we are gonna compare what we think, I may as well add my two cents:

Belarus -
    Oh you must be joking... this could be a real train-wreck live... 1/10

Lithuania -
    Writing the lyrics clearly only took 5 minutes, they could have spent some time actually giving it a tune. Or music of any sort. Maybe they had to rush out to eat or something. 1/10

Ukraine -
    Wow, terrible. I want it to be over after 15 seconds. 2/10

Albania -
    They are two years late, the uber-ethnic ship has sailed. So bad I doubt it will even garner many neighbour votes. 2/10

Portugal -
    Was this lifted straight of 1996? or 1986? Portugal just can't hope to succeed with this stuff. 3/10

Bosnia & Herzegovina -
    I am dumbfounded this song is polling so well. It's a man singing about something (A woman?) while sounding thoroughly bored of the whole thing. 3/10

Croatia -
    It's a woman shouting. And some seemingly drunk men shouting too. I am informed it will do well though. Whatever. 3/10

United Kingdom -
    Well... I don't know if this very British humour will carry around Europe. No doubt that, in the tradition of stupid songs, it will do inexplicably well. 4/10

Moldova -
    So Moldova went for something less crazy this year ... and I'm left disappointed. Not a stand-out song at all, although it's pleasant enough. 5/10

Switzerland -
    Sickly sweet. Rest assured it will place high, even though it's like something from a children's musical. 5/10

Armenia -
    Very respectable first entry by anyone's standards. Quite ethnic but not in an annoying BANG-BANG-BANG-DRUM way. 5/10

Bulgaria -
    Like a good song that didn't quite get there. Good in parts.. but leaves no lasting happy impression. 5/10

Monaco -
    Pleasant but unassuming, I've forgotten I've heard it after it's finished. Quite nice though. 5/10

Estonia -
    Good song totally overshadowed by Sweden. Nice enough but by the third reprise of the chorus, it's getting repetitive. 6/10

Israel -
    Had to follow an impressive act after last year (I still say Shiri should have won). They have gone for another bilingual ballad, but it doesn't have the same magic as Haskenet Shenishar. Or however it's spelt. 6/10

Andorra -
    Excellent sweeping ballad. Sung in Catalan which might mean it loses some support Europe-wide but it sounds better for it. I am worried it will be overlooked though... 7/10

Turkey -
    This song is at once painfully bad and good at the same time. It's like a lyrical car crash, but you'll be whistling it at voting time. Keep it in Turkish please... 7/10

FYR Macedonia -
    Macedonia have bucked the trend and actually sent a decent song. Woohoo! My personal favourite of all the ex-yugo countries. 7/10

Finland -
    Really cool song, and very catchy actually. I wonder though if it is too heavy for many. 7/10

Ireland -
    Very boring song until they changed it, now it's just boring. That said, it is a very very good male-sung ballad, but COME ON IRELAND! TRY HARDER! Brian's a great singer though, and he should deliver a good performance. Someone else's review sticks in my head when I hear this, "It has a Latvia 2005-ness about it" 8/10

Cyprus -
    Very strong ballad with a memorable chorus. My only reservation is her voice - the one live version I heard was dire, although at the time she apparently had voice problems. I'm reserving judgement until the contest. Reminescent of Malta last year (but not as good!). 8/10

Russia -
    This guy is clearly very attractive, so that can only help him. Fast-paced pop song with a memorable tune and chorus, very strong indeed. 8/10

Denmark -
    Very good song, but I worry it is, like a lot of Danish entries, too Americanish for Europe. Although that didn't stop them last year... 8/10

Latvia -
    For such a small country, Latvia has a rather disproportionate amount of talented singers. If performed right, this song could blow Europe away. I say could, A Capella has never been tried here and is notoriously difficult to do well. May not be everyone's cup of tea. 8/10

Spain -
    Proof that the real thing is better than a carbon copy. Will do far better than last year, and is very catchy. I like it, it's very danceable-to. 8/10

Greece -
    Certainly one of the stronger ballads and has the best chance of a host winning for some time... *shudders at Latvia's Hello From Mars back in '03*. Anyway... if she sings as well as she does in studio version should do very well. Some of the high notes sound painful though...8/10

Belgium -
    Sounds cheap. Otherwise a very good song. In an ideal world Norway or Germany would win, but if this did that would be fine I suppose. At least it would show it's possible for a Western country to win again. 8/10

Sweden -
    Straight out of 'Benny and Bjorns Eurovision Song Laboratory', a secret lab hidden in deep snowy Sweden, but one can't help like the song. Catchiest chorus, possibly, of the year. A very plausible 5th winner for Sweden. 9/10

Poland -
    I really like this and I'm surprised it's not polling higher. Chorus is brilliant I think. A good performance here and it could well be a surprise. 9/10

The Netherlands -
    I preferred the Coldplay-esque guys in the NS but this is a grower. Really nice song and I would be pleased for this to do very well indeed. It's that sort of song people play at weddings to get everyone dancing. 9/10

Slovenia -
    Really good song, listenable to in both Slovene (is that the word?) and English, I wonder if a girl singing it would be better but meh... 9/10

Malta -
    Better than Russia . Up with Romania as the best male-sung-song in the contest imo, but would rely on the performance to stand out. 9/10

and the best...

Romania -
    Deserved favourite. Newer version not as nice as old one (simpler may have been better in this case) but damn this guy has some voice. 10/10

Norway - Most beautiful woman in the Contest bar none. Oh... the song? Really nice too. They can make up for not winning last year by taking the ESC back to Oslo in 2007 with this fantastic, haunting song . 10/10

Germany - Oh here's a good one. American sounds that somehow seem right at home at ESC. Incredibly well-written I think, could be a 'surprise' winner here. 10/10

Iceland - Could it be? A funny song that has a decent tune and good singer as well!!!! YES!! Raising the bar for novelty songs. I would not be unhappy to see Iceland win at all. 10/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GerardT)
    United Kingdom -
    Well... I don't know if this very British humour will carry around Europe. No doubt that, in the tradition of stupid songs, it will do inexplicably well. 4/10

Israel -
    Had to follow an impressive act after last year (I still say Shiri should have won).

Russia -
    This guy is clearly very attractive, so that can only help him. Fast-paced pop song with a memorable tune and chorus, very strong indeed. 8/10

Norway - Most beautiful woman in the Contest bar none. Oh... the song? Really nice too. They can make up for not winning last year by taking the ESC back to Oslo in 2007 with this fantastic, haunting song . 10/10
    i dont think i understand the british sense of humour if this is it's ambassador.

shiri was amazing last year, beautiful song, beautiful voice, and a lovely dress and girl. i want to name my daughter after her.

what is the russian guy's haircut?! cute accent.

the norwegan woman looks a bit like kristen from the oc.

ReputationRep:
    what is the russian guy's haircut?! cute accent.
    Oh I forgot about the MULLET!!!

ReputationRep:
    Israel was my fave last year.

I want an actual good act to do eurovision for us, thing is no one would do it as if they lost their career would be over. Still if Sugababes did it we would win by a mile

i am reminiscing now about eurovision 2005, the swedish guy was beautiful. it was the las vegas tune, twas great. i think my all time favourite is ruslana's "go wild dances!" tune. i actually have the album. its awesome.
    Wild Dances was my favourite too; haven't got Ruslana's album but I did go out and buy the single. :p: It's a shame it never got anywhere in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Attention all hardcore fans, I just found out that the Israelis over at eurovil.iba.org.il are putting up old contests on webcast leading up to Athens (they did this last year too but I thought it was a one-off what with 2005 being he 50th ESC)... I just watched parts of 1995 again... it was pretty cool to see when ireland was at its absolute peak and the host rubbed everyone's noses in it...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.