Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't drive w/out insurance then innit

ReputationRep:
    Do people have to carry their license with them here?
    Don't think so

If you just go out and borrow your friend's car, which you're not insured under, or even worse, you don't even have a license, can't your friend just go to the station and say it was him?
    Possibly, but they could ask your name. Do a check, get a picture, driving license details, favourite colour etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    In the US, you have to carry a copy of the policy/proof of insurance with you in the car at all times. There's a specific little sheet of paper you keep in the glove box that has all the details. You also have to carry your drivers license with you at all time, which has your photo. Cops know right there and then if you've got insurance and if you are who you say you are. If everything is not in order, they issue you a $600 fine.

Do people have to carry their license with them here? I've never really understood how it works. If you just go out and borrow your friend's car, which you're not insured under, or even worse, you don't even have a license, can't your friend just go to the station and say it was him?
    I think what you seem to have is exactly what we need, Tax disk and insurance disk would be logical i would think! That way it is easy to see if the car is insured, but not giving out any personal details (like if you were to have a driving license disk, which wouldnt be practical if you had >1 car anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    If you just go out and borrow your friend's car, which you're not insured under, or even worse, you don't even have a license, can't your friend just go to the station and say it was him?
    The police will want to determine your identity at the roadside. If you can't produce any identification at all (highly unlikely as who goes out with even a bank card or something in their pocket?) then if there is any doubt in their minds as to whether you are who you say you are, then they will arrest you under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and cart you down to the police station for the purposes of determining your true identity.

ReputationRep:
    Backdating insurance policies and motor cover notes is illegal. However if you knew someone who was willing to nick a cover note book from their place of employment and write you one then I guess in theory you'd get away with it.

Or if you knew someone who had a company car and a blanket company insurance policy (i.e. the certificate covers "Any vehicle owned by or leased to AN Other & Co for the purposes of the business") then you could borrow that cert, produce it at the station and hope the popo don't contact the company to clarify that your car is part of their fleet.

PS: I'm referring to "you" as in the hypothetical person detailed in the first post....not the person who put up the post. If that makes sense :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    The police will want to determine your identity at the roadside. If you can't produce any identification at all (highly unlikely as who goes out with even a bank card or something in their pocket?) then if there is any doubt in their minds as to whether you are who you say you are, then they will arrest you under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and cart you down to the police station for the purposes of determining your true identity.
    One mate of mine (he neither passed his test nor was insured) was driving his friend's car when the popo pulled him over after seeing him do a nasty skid. They asked for his license and he told them that he left it at home; popo ask for all his details (name, address, D.O.B, father's name etc.) and phoned up DVLA to authenticate. Surprisingly, he got away because he gave them the details of the actual car owner and got his mate to provide proof of insurance at the police station. Luckily, his friend was insured.

ReputationRep:
    Dimez - own up (or your mate ) and pay the £200 squid debt to the police.

A backdate ont he insurers is more than possible. BUT - this only the case when you know someone quite well - like an insurance broker. I have one, and he does everything for me. I have him due to my fleet insurance policy, and I was restricted driving high engined cars etc (e.g. my bosses cl500), but he just wormed it so I could. Other incidents he has also managed to get me out of. So try an insurance broker, he might be able to help, ableit a cost in excess of £200 probably (as you don't know him/her).

Oh - Dimez (or your mate ) - you stupid plonker. What the hell are you thinking of!!! If you had gone in to me, you wouldn't have any arms left to drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)

A backdate ont he insurers is more than possible. BUT - this only the case when you know someone quite well - like an insurance broker. I have one, and he does everything for me. I have him due to my fleet insurance policy, and I was restricted driving high engined cars etc (e.g. my bosses cl500), but he just wormed it so I could. Other incidents he has also managed to get me out of. So try an insurance broker, he might be able to help, ableit a cost in excess of £200 probably (as you don't know him/her).

Oh - Dimez (or your mate ) - you stupid plonker. What the hell are you thinking of!!! If you had gone in to me, you wouldn't have any arms left to drive.

Possible though illegal and unethical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Possible though illegal and unethical.
    Whose caring about ethics here :confused:
    Quite clearly the OP or mate doesn't have any if he's already going around wihtout any insurance.

ReputationRep:

Easy now. I'm no delinquent.

ReputationRep:
    Quite clearly the OP or mate doesn't have any if he's already going around wihtout any insurance.
    I'm as ethical as you can get.

ReputationRep:
    My point was any broker worth his salt won't do it. Ethics come into it from that perspective because they preclude 99% of insurance brokers from backdating motor policies.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest issue for an company backdating insurance is they may make themselves responsible for claims arising from an accident that's already happened, and they can hardly challenge it without admitting that they're backdating the policies.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really only a £200 fine? Probably worth the risk then, that's like 10 times a year and still cheaper than insurance :p:

I know a couple of people who drive without licenses or insurance. One got pulled over for having too many people in his car (idiot). He just said "They're all drunk and I wanted to make sure they got home OK", and the policeman sent him on his way. Lucky break! Shame really, I don't particularly like him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.