Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Good Specs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    ^ I don't believe i've ever used one of those and i've built a hell of a lot of computers! But yeh as Vlad said, if you need any help there's a shed load of us here to help.
    Woohoo It'll be over the summer so everyone will be super bored and want to help me.

There should be a special 'building your computer' forum

ReputationRep:
    Best computer for £800 (IMO) --> http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...DUCT&KEY=70591

But, I'd agree that you may be able to get slightly better value for money if you built your own.

ReputationRep:
    What about this one? Teeny weeny computer
    SFF would be good for me seeing as I'd be taking it to Uni

ReputationRep:
    The X2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay over the top for just forums/internet/work etc.

The graphics card, despite having 512MB of RAM is also pretty average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    The X2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay over the top for just forums/internet/work etc.
    Will it still be over the top when Vista arrives, or then just an average PC? I want a PC that will run Vista well when it comes out.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...DUCT&KEY=51962

With:

7600GT [+£100]

Would seem to fit all the requirements of the games

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...DUCT&KEY=51952

With the extra 512MB [+50] would be perfectly fine for the Forums/Internet/Work

ReputationRep:
    Cool, Phil

ReputationRep:
    This PC is on offer at PC World til tomorrow. It looks good but is there anything making it a bit poo? It does come with the monitor. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't actually look too bad, especially as it comes with a TFT monitor.

It's not going to win any prizes for speed, but it's certainly not a rip off.

edit: I wouldn't even consider buying it for gaming though, only Internet/Work/Music listening/DVDs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    It doesn't actually look too bad, especially as it comes with a TFT monitor.

It's not going to win any prizes for speed, but it's certainly not a rip off.

edit: I wouldn't even consider buying it for gaming though, only Internet/Work/Music listening/DVDs etc.
    Fabulous. I just reserved one to pick up tomorrow

Would it run games OK? I mean, my bf won't be playing MMORPGs (WTF?) but perhaps other games.

EDIT: I'd be looking to put Vista on it next year, would it handle that OK?

ReputationRep:
    It wont flat out refuse to play the games, but it wont really be pushing them past Low/Medium detail really, the CPU is ok, RAM is sufficient but the graphics is designed more with desktop work in mind, not gaming (one of the ways they keep the costs low and the profits high)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    It wont flat out refuse to play the games, but it wont really be pushing them past Low/Medium detail really, the CPU is ok, RAM is sufficient but the graphics is designed more with desktop work in mind, not gaming (one of the ways they keep the costs low and the profits high)
    OK, thanks I think he's going for it anyway. Can always install new graphics card in the future

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.