Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Subjects that are the hardest to revise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How did you get a grade A in your history mocks if you haven't even learnt the course content yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_groovy_dude)
    I'm not doing GCSE's at the moment (will start next year!) but I would think English Lang & Lit would be the hardest to revise for!
    Don't boast :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollie)
    How did you get a grade A in your history mocks if you haven't even learnt the course content yet?
    I got an A in my mock, and we did it last novemember and ive only just finished my course before easter. The Teachers for all my subjects took away stuff we hadnt done, it makes sense to test you on what you have done dont you think? But apart from that, you can pretty much wing history.

I have no problem revising english lit because when i read a poem everything we discussed about it just comes back to me, so i just kind of brainstorm ideas, re read the poems/stories do a few practise qs.
    BUT
    English lang urg!!

ReputationRep:
    yea - we have a sources paper in our history specification on cuba that we only covered in the last 3 weeks of school, but it's understandable, as cuba is like the last thing we studied (as it's the 20th century we study in general, tho we focus from the end of ww1 up to cuba, 1965ish). we never really had a 'mock' for that paper, although our teacher gave us 2 practice papers which we tried out. the thing is the stupid exam board doesnt have past papers on this part of th syllabus because the special topic for the sources paper changes every year! :s

anyway so yeah, sometimes in your mock you don't do everything u covered. the only subjects which we did in our mocks, whose syllabuses were completely finished, were english, chemistry, portuguese and french really.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone - Phew! I'm not alone

I'm doing AQA, and I've already got some past questions. Tried making some 'comparison charts' between the poems (because every exam question is a comparison of their techniques, meanings etc)

But what someone said here: there's so many poems!! For both language and literature, I think that's where I have the mental block. When you do a novel, there's just one writing style and plot to keep up with, but with dozens of poems you need to know so much...:eek:

But apart from that, you can pretty much wing history.
    Apart from what? You need to know the facts, but you're right in that as long as you can construct an argument you're ok.

I'm not doing GCSE's at the moment (will start next year!) but I would think English Lang & Lit would be the hardest to revise for!
    Lil groovy dude, wtf? you seem to pop up everywhere and you're only in Year 9:rolleyes: I didn't even think about revision when I was your age - how can you possibly know?

ReputationRep:
    any lit subject and most languages, grr

ReputationRep:
    Biology.

ReputationRep:
    For the poem bit, my advice is not beating around the bush, especially for the culture poems in AQA. If they ask you to compare the feelings, then do it. Don't bother telling the story, keep it to a few lines max. Just write a lot about the questions. Just dig in and its great. Mention the language techniques used to make them feel that way etc. And also mention two interpretations for some things, not all.

As for History, and most subjects do some past papers. History, do all the questions if you do AQA.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are so fickle - by the time you've got to AS, you think that GCSEs were easy and really stupid, and A2 people probably say that ASs were stupidly easy, and uni students probably say that A2 were easy and so on...

IMO, English Lit and History are killers (I only got As in them :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Exams are so fickle - by the time you've got to AS, you think that GCSEs were easy and really stupid, and A2 people probably say that ASs were stupidly easy, and uni students probably say that A2 were easy and so on...

IMO, English Lit and History are killers (I only got As in them :rolleyes: )
    Yea! Just English, English Lit, DT and German for me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxJaninexX)
    I got an A in my mock, and we did it last novemember and ive only just finished my course before easter. The Teachers for all my subjects took away stuff we hadnt done, it makes sense to test you on what you have done dont you think? But apart from that, you can pretty much wing history.

I have no problem revising english lit because when i read a poem everything we discussed about it just comes back to me, so i just kind of brainstorm ideas, re read the poems/stories do a few practise qs.
    BUT
    English lang urg!!
    True that was a stupid question for me to ask as in my mocks i got a B for history when we hadn't even covered Britain in WW1 or USA. Sorry, just didn't think, i still haven't covered my course content yet either:eek:

ReputationRep:
    English and English Lit. but only because I hate them so much.

ReputationRep:
    damn english and business studies. What the hell is up with lord of the flies, the author didnt write them to have all these underlying messages and meanings, he wrote it to enter-fking-tain!!! So lads . . . any tips on revising lord of the flies? x

ReputationRep:
    English I find difficult to revise, but I could do English Lit all day! All I do is read and read the text making notes and write summaries of the characters and learn some more quotes. But maybe it's because I enjoy it so much that it's easy to revise. Also, I don't have any set poems on my board (WJEC) and poems bore me.

I also find French hard to revise and Maths too. I can work through things, but I can't tell if I'm right unlike with something like History. I can just check that in the book. :rolleyes:

Natalie

ReputationRep:
    don't revise english properly just learn the basic facts for the poems and like the 3 main points for the books. Seri if you trust yourself you're likely to do better in eng if you put yourself under immense pressure and let your mindd run away with the text. do a few practise papers on very strict timing and see how well you do. leanring the main facts and expaning on your own knowledge that's what gets you good marks because anyone can remember facts so english (and possibly maths) are the only subjects that really test your ABILITY. i can understand many ppl thinking this is a stupid method but people who revise english just get told they're memorising facts and it's really obvious to the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    i think the hardest subjects to revise for are:
    history, geography, welsh, R.E, english lang, Music,

i hate big thick subjects i dont know where to start: like geography, history, R.e and english have loads of info to learn!!!!! im getting stressed out now because i cant do it!! and there is under 5 weeks till the exams now!!!! and i dont know if i can learn that amount of information in that time! so if anyone has any past papers for any subjects please private message me and tell me i'd be grateful especially for english !! my examination board is WJEC
    x x x x

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.