Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advantages of PS3 over Xbox 360 watch

ReputationRep:

I hate sony...

I've always peferred sega, so its why I've always liked the xbox.

but im not sure if im so impressed with the 360, though I havent seen it on hdtv yet, so i'll wait.

Though, Theres no way i'm not going to play the new halo. I love that game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

I hate sony...

I've always peferred sega
    , so its why I've always liked the xbox.

but im not sure if im so impressed with the 360, though I havent seen it on hdtv yet, so i'll wait.

Though, Theres no way i'm not going to play the new halo. I love that game.
    Because Sony greatly contributed to killing Sega :p: ?

I have said it time and time before. I will get the PS3 not for the graphics, not for Blu-Ray but for the games. Just because Xbox people may not like Sony games, it doesn't mean you should bash them at every chance (Chrash Bandicoot was a brilliant game). There are only a handful of games that draw me to the 360. There are about 20 that draw me to the PS3 and the thing isn't even out yet.

I would also like to point out that this:

Better online support
    Is entirely subjective and unproven as the revamped Sony online service (which looks like an Xbox live clone) hasn't even launched yet.

ReputationRep:
    Sony aren't exactly the experts on delivering the goods on certain feautures, though. Remember how much the Emotion Engine was hyped? Remember how many times you saw a picture of Kaz Hirai holding a Network Adapter before the PS2 actually went online? And if Sony put the same amount of effort into the PS3 infrastructure then I'm getting ready for a pretty mediocre service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parag)
    Sony aren't exactly the experts on delivering the goods on certain feautures, though. Remember how much the Emotion Engine was hyped? Remember how many times you saw a picture of Kaz Hirai holding a Network Adapter before the PS2 actually went online? And if Sony put the same amount of effort into the PS3 infrastructure then I'm getting ready for a pretty mediocre service.
    But to say Microsoft will have 'better online support' is presumptuous. I'm not a big online gamer myself, so stuff like that isn't a big factor in my decision. I'd rather get lots of mates round if I want a multiplayer gaming session. And online on the PS2 isn't that bad. Its free and does what it says on the tin, albiet without the aesthetics that Live provides. What I don't like about Live is the fact that you have to pay a yearly subscription fee. It may not be much, but I don't see why you should have to pay for something that is free everywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    It is presumptious but in all honesty it's what I'd put my money in. I've beta tested online functions for some PS2 games but that's about the only time I ever play online nowadays, because the infrastructure simply isn't that good. I agree wholeheartedly that it's must better having some mates round and getting the old multitap out, but it's still nice to have decent online functions. When I first got an xbox I refused to shell out for Xbox Live, but eventually I gave in and paid the £38 or whatever it was and it was definitely worth it. The experience of playing Top Spin and PGR2 online was brilliant and I never noticed that I'd had to pay either. It didn't feel like it was costing and it would be nice if it was free, but then it probably wouldn't be as good. And it'd just be opening the door for cheaters and them lot, too, as I'm pretty sure the fee will put a few of them off it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    yep, thats exactly it! : )

ReputationRep:
    OI dude who said i dont know about the price, i have seen loads of sources with an estimated price of around 500 due to the contents of the system, either way sony are going to lose so much money on this system. It wont be cheap.
    Im not trying to get you not to buy one, coz im going to buy one anyway, but just do what you want lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    I don't see why you should have to pay for something that is free everywhere else.
    What?! Do you know something I don't? Because I'm sure as hell that Multiplay won't let me have a free CS server. Microsoft have organised Live so that they're in control of game servers. It costs them money.

ReputationRep:
    I'll cite some prices if you want.

IGN: 50,000yen ($465, £300?) (old)
    IGN: 500 euro? - £400 ish (last week - this was later denied and claimed to be purely speculation)
    Gamespot $399 at $100 loss, though I think that this is an underestimate - and it an old news source

The higher $800 price point probably came from a report carried out by a market analyst, which was pretty FUD and did a hell of a lot of speculation on prices, especially with regard to the Cell. Not only have Sony debunked this, but Intel themselves have said that the Cell prices were ludicrous guesses.

Finally, there's a nice, weighted commentry from 1up here which seems to conclude... it's unlikely it will rise above $500 (so about £350 when you add the 'British premium' that everyone seems to add :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    Wait until both are out, look at the upcomming games, try both consoles (also don't discredit the Rev), then make a decision. Anything you read in this thread with regard to the PS3 will be based purely on assumptions as it isn't even out yet.
    :ditto:

personnally id go for the console that has the most games that interest me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud_Strife)
    Can you show a link where they said there scrapping that design?

Link from the ps3 wikipedia entry.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Controller was the original wikipedia section. They need to cite the initial claim though.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the boomerang/banana shape that we've come to hate despise detest accept as the PS3's major drawback is being "tossed" in favor of an unspecified redesign (NOT the one pictured here) that will be unveiled at E3 in May
    hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    Yes. Errmmm...don't you remember the Dreamcast launch, and the accompanying Sony marketing spiel (the pre-rendered videos that we're shown as 'in-game' to dissuade people from buying a Dreamcast)?

Anyway, concerning what advantage PS3 has over Xbox 360, I have two words for you:

Region Free.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we worked that out, it is no more region free than the 360, the developers/ publishers can put coding on the disk. Thus while I have a US copy of DOA4 I have a UK copy of PGR3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    Yes. Errmmm...don't you remember the Dreamcast launch, and the accompanying Sony marketing spiel (the pre-rendered videos that we're shown as 'in-game' to dissuade people from buying a Dreamcast)?

Anyway, concerning what advantage PS3 has over Xbox 360, I have two words for you:

Region Free.
    Thats not the only reason why it failed though, Sony was just a contributing factor. Really, Sega killed themselves with the Dreamcast. A lack of 3rd party games and mostly the lack of software copy protection. If they had thought things through a bit more rather than rushing the thing onto the shelves then maybe they would have been able to hold off Sony's challenge and still be around right now.

ReputationRep:
    All Sega did wrong was screwing up the marketing. However, they did it VERY wrong. 3rd party support wasn't their fault - it was really only EA who outright refused, but then EA are pure evil anyway, right guys? So yeah I'd say rubbish marketing and PS2 hype were the two biggest factors.

ReputationRep:
    advantages of the PS3 over the 360 hmm well you could all test the 360... how many of you have a PS3? oh yer none, this argument is rediculas tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgoth)
    advantages of the PS3 over the 360 hmm well you could all test the 360... how many of you have a PS3? oh yer none, this argument is rediculas tbh
    What arguement? I don't think there ever was one. In this thread at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G_H_G)
    £500 my arse. Some people really don't have a clue...

To the OP. Wait until both are out, look at the upcomming games, try both consoles (also don't discredit the Rev), then make a decision. Anything you read in this thread with regard to the PS3 will be based purely on assumptions as it isn't even out yet.
    :congrats:

listen to the man

the only estimate i have heard from anywhere remotely reliable was $450 - $550 which makes it pretty much the same as the xb360 but i a) cant remember where i heard that and b) its hardly official. still £500 would be commercial suicide. sony can be dumb, but not *that* dumb

the ps3 is *potentially* a LOT more powerful than the 360, however in real terms you will only see marginal differences to begin with, as the technology is rather new.

one clear undeniable advantage of the ps3 is the fact that it supports linux. i wouldnt be suprised to see an xbox emulator running on the ps3 within a year of its release :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.