Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd guess the modules for the Bsc are more maths based in comparison to the modules available for the Ma then?

ReputationRep:
    sorry to but in, this is half related, but the etra module you choose, do you have to do that every year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    sorry to but in, this is half related, but the etra module you choose, do you have to do that every year?
    I think you can change it....not sure though

ReputationRep:
    The extra subject that you take is only for the first two years. Then sometime you chose what your final degree will be in out of those 3 subjects. Then you only take honours courses in two of those or one depending on what you have picked.

ReputationRep:
    thank you, just wanted to know what i was getting into!

ReputationRep:
    It's actually a lot more flexbile than that. For example, last semester I took IR, linguistics and anthropology. I decided I didn't like anthropology so now I've replaced it with psychology. I want to take psychology in 2nd year too, but because I missed the first module of first year I'll be taking PS1001 at the same time as PS2001, along with my IR module (since you only need to do 80 2000-level credits in second year and you have 120 credits in total, you have the freedom to take first year modules).

Someone else I know is dropping linguistics next year and picking up first year Latin instead. A lot of second years take interesting first year modules in subjects they didn't get the chance to study the first time round. In fact, I would think most arts students do that... not sure about the sciences.

So if you see a lot of second years in your lectures (and you'll undoubtedly see a few), don't be confused.

ReputationRep:
    Question...are all of the lectures in the same building? All of mine are back to back (at 10, 11, and 12)- will I be running around like crazy to get to them?

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't think so - if your three subjects are IR, Modern History and English then they should all be around the same little area in town, i.e. the east end of North Street. All three of these are in Buchanan theatre at the moment, though IR will be moving to the new building next to the library next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the new building was used for English or MH too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbm1087)
    Question...are all of the lectures in the same building? All of mine are back to back (at 10, 11, and 12)- will I be running around like crazy to get to them?
    Your courses' websites should say where the lecturers take place.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic.shtml

ReputationRep:
    StAndrewsIR, what new building? I knew they built one for management, but I wasn't aware that one was going up for IR.... or is it the same building?

ReputationRep:
    There's a new one going up next to the library at the moment, it's pretty huge. It's mainly for IR but other departments might use it for the size of its lecture theatres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StAndrewsIR)
    It's actually a lot more flexbile than that. For example, last semester I took IR, linguistics and anthropology. I decided I didn't like anthropology so now I've replaced it with psychology. I want to take psychology in 2nd year too, but because I missed the first module of first year I'll be taking PS1001 at the same time as PS2001, along with my IR module (since you only need to do 80 2000-level credits in second year and you have 120 credits in total, you have the freedom to take first year modules).

Someone else I know is dropping linguistics next year and picking up first year Latin instead. A lot of second years take interesting first year modules in subjects they didn't get the chance to study the first time round. In fact, I would think most arts students do that... not sure about the sciences.

So if you see a lot of second years in your lectures (and you'll undoubtedly see a few), don't be confused.
    thank you that explains it

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I can remember walking past the library on The Scores in the summer and seeing a big construction site, but not much had been erected at that point, as far as I can recall. When is this building going up, and dyou know where I can see any plan pictures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    Ah, I can remember walking past the library on The Scores in the summer and seeing a big construction site, but not much had been erected at that point, as far as I can recall. When is this building going up, and dyou know where I can see any plan pictures?
    Oh wow thats the new IR building?

ReputationRep:
    Yep - technically it's a new building for the arts faculty as a whole, but it has a lot to do with the expansion of the IR department and their need for more space. I think it's going to be finished around September/October, but I'm not sure if it'll be done for the start of the next academic year. I did find out who was building it ages ago, but I can't find any links to them at the moment. I've been to the library a lot lately but you can't see the building site from the library entrance... I might go and check it out sometime.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.