alastair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that is actually a planning regulation in York as well hence why all new buildings are still small, every building has to be smaller than the Minster.
RK
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by alastair)
I think that is actually a planning regulation in York as well hence why all new buildings are still small, every building has to be smaller than the Minster.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is true.

I hope it stays. I do like really tall buildings and want more of them in many places, but we also need to protect some places from them. I think York should be one of them given we have such an important piece of architecture to look after.
sophieD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
where exactly is this monstrosity? i was in york today and didnt see it ANYWHERE:confused: :confused: :eek: :mad:
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's right near the train station and the railway museum. I saw it right up close when i was in town with my parents on Saturday - if you're facing the train station near the walls (the bit where the buses go under the bridge) it's just to your right
RK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've not ben up it yet, bt one of the teachers at y placement school went on it over the Easter holidays and he said it was great and you could see for miles and miles at the top, so I can't wait to go up...though I'm a bit worried by the cost...
alastair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just go up the Minster Tower, its only £2, its higher and its more historic going up it, plus you dont then go back down again straight away. It is 400 steps or something though.
RK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by alastair)
Just go up the Minster Tower, its only £2, its higher and its more historic going up it, plus you dont then go back down again straight away. It is 400 steps or something though.
I've done that twice already....great views from the top too...you can see right into the hills and moors north of York...I'd hope the Wheel would give similar views on a good day.....bet it's good when it's starting to get dark too, looking over York with all the lights on...that is something you'd not be able to see going up the minster...
oldy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm working at the NRM at the moment, we get a free ride! I haven't taken advantage yet, but I will soon.
oli4uk
Report 13 years ago
We used to have our christmas parties at the NRM, if you ever hear stories about Jarvis/Agilisys that would be us (Ie someone being sick down the funnel of the queens train, guy going bezerk with one of the doormen etc) that would probably have been our lot, have you had chance to experience the great dj they always seem to have on there? trade mark 5 minute gaps between songs while he chooses the next song.
hanadeka2002
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is that thing worth going on?I'm gonna be returning to York later this week from a trip and I might go on it while I'm near it...

And I agree...it doesn't fit it with the rest of York.It looks pretty at night but in the day it really annoys me...the York skyline used to be really pretty as I was driving towards York...now there's a big stupid wheel thing and it looks so out of place!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (57)
24.46%
My career doesn't need one (30)
12.88%
I'm sick of studying (46)
19.74%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.58%
I don't know enough about them (16)
6.87%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (78)
33.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise