What Are The Best Extra Curricular Activities To Secure A Top Tc Or Pupillage Watch

Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Or, if you're skint organize a paintballing trip :p:
john171
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I done that once. Worked out great. At least I think it did.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know someone who cheated at paintball. and he's proud of it.

I can't figure out the point of cheating at paintball :rolleyes:
Baadshah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Pro bono work is voluntary work.

Paintballing is wicked though.Good idea!!! Although last time I went I got shot in the ear.I swear to you. Nothing hurts as much as that! I also charged into an enemy base thingy with my safety catch on! I got destroyed! That hurt too! And there was another time, same occasion...where my mates and I were hiding behind some barrels. One of them got shot and flew backwards. And then with a cry of "YOU B*Stards!" he fired back. only thing is he missed and hit another mate in the back of the head at v.close range! Then they had a huge rumble. Great stuff!

Yeah...I like that suggestion!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm perfectly aware what pro bono is. I meant other types of voluntary work
Baadshah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
I'm perfectly aware what pro bono is. I meant other types of voluntary work
ok...
Lauren18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Would you, perchance be the secretary of KCL Lawsoc?
Maybe, maybe.

My advice to anyone trying to improve their prospects is generally a mixture of what's already been said.

On one hand, as Dreama has said, it's dull and formulaic to jump on the conveyor belt trying to grab 'Law Society Secretary', '3rd in the Moot Competition' and 'KCL Netball Team 6000' badges...

BUT...

There is no doubt that doing these things could add to your profile. I, for instance, won't deny that my main motivation for running for our Law Society was to improve my CV. Anyone who would deny that is lying! However, in standing for election I have doubled the amount of people I know on the course, felt like I was doing something worthwhile, and shown that I have committment and can handle responsibility in the process.

Yet, of course, there are 100 other Law Soc Secretaries across the country. There aren't so many people who've gained a black belt in Judo since joining Uni, or climed Mount Everest to raise money for a cancer charity.

Generally, with everything it seems, the rarer something is and the harder you've had to work to get it; the more impressive it will look.

However, underlying all of these points lies a question - ultimately, what will doing extra curricular activity X really add to your CV?

The answer... only what you gain from it. When you get to uni, look at all the hundreds of opportunities available to you. Choose a few that you think will combine:
* the perception of being worthwhile
* the capacity to show committment/responsibility/leadership/other sought-after qualities
* the possibilty that you may even find it the most rewarding and inspiring thing you've ever done.

Note: a good website for aspiring volunteers is www.wwv.org.uk

If you want to know more about things I've done extra-curricular wise (Student conference in NY/Washington; Law Mentoring Scheme for inner-London AS students, Law Society, Student Ambassador, Duke of Edinburgh's Award, Race for Life), just send a PM.
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Baadshah)
Pro bono work is voluntary work.

Paintballing is wicked though.Good idea!!! Although last time I went I got shot in the ear.I swear to you. Nothing hurts as much as that! I also charged into an enemy base thingy with my safety catch on! I got destroyed! That hurt too! And there was another time, same occasion...where my mates and I were hiding behind some barrels. One of them got shot and flew backwards. And then with a cry of "YOU B*Stards!" he fired back. only thing is he missed and hit another mate in the back of the head at v.close range! Then they had a huge rumble. Great stuff!

Yeah...I like that suggestion!
Not wanting to turn this into a paintballing thread but, the one time I've been paintballing I got shot in the head three times (without any protective covering other than the mask) and it didn't hurt at all. That said, I shot my friend in the back from close range when he had already been shot and left a huge bruise that stayed from a few weeks. Good times.

Hmm, perhaps you could organise paintball and then try and organise a moot (or something similar) around the results. No doubt some people will come out of it suitably battered and bruised and wishing to take legal action...

:p:
littlemissalex
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive gotta completely agree with Ethereal here as well!
You should do things that YOU enjoy, not because you think it would look good on your CV (as Dreama said as well ). when i mean things you enjoy, i mean ECs because academically you have to study things you will not enjoy but will act as a precedent to getting you a good job etc
i cant stand it when people do things in their sixthform (like some girls are doing now at my school), like joining in the basketball teams etc because they've got nothing else to write on their CVs.. AND because they arent doing it for fun but feel FORCED, they muck around and waste my time!! Why do things to write down for OTHER people and not for yourself??
If you're applying for a job at a major law firm and they like people who play cricket (hypothetically speaking here of course) and you cant stand cricket but play it so you can get in, thats absolutely pathetic! and it shows that you arent for them, its just not meant to be! job employers should employ you for what you've done willingly/voluntarily not because you did something to show off. god im getting pissed off with this attitude.. sorry its none of you guys, its just im sick of seeing this going on at my school, absolutely pathetic..
DanBan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chalks)
I disagree.

It is often worth doing something which isn't a barrel of laughs for a reward in the long run. In these circumstances, that might be something tedious like standing as Law Soc treasurer or whatever so that you can tick the "Position of Responsibility" box on the applic form.

It would be great if Uni was simply about having masses of fun and then strolling into a TC on the basis of your stunning grades and membership of the Knitting Club. Unfortunately, the reality is that you may need to be a little cynical and "target" a couple of activities which will catch the eye.
^ 100% agree...and chalks is already in the profession, so i think he is slightly more qualified to make such a statement than u are ethereal. In life, there will always be things that you don't like, but that you have to do, and part of being a rounded person is succeeding at the things you like and DON'T like. If people do want to go down the "formulaic" route as you have phrased it, then let them, you do not need to go out of your way to discourage them! you cearly don't like conformists, but you are trying to get everyone to CONFROM to the non-conformists!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm indifferent as to whether people are conformist or not. Don't make such broad sweeping assumptions. My objection to this notion of box ticking is that people lose sight of life, and possibly even why they want ot do the job.

I haven't said the position of responsibility isn't important, what I have said is that it is possible to get that whilst doing something you enjoy. Extra Corriculars are supposed to be FUN. I can't understand why so many people lose sight of that!
DanBan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm indifferent as to whether people are conformist or not. Don't make such broad sweeping assumptions. My objection to this notion of box ticking is that people lose sight of life, and possibly even why they want ot do the job.

I haven't said the position of responsibility isn't important, what I have said is that it is possible to get that whilst doing something you enjoy. Extra Corriculars are supposed to be FUN. I can't understand why so many people lose sight of that!
o for goodness sakes, ur a little bit dramatic don't you think?!! people do not "lose sight of life" by doing a few, possibly tedious, EC's for their CV, come on now!!!
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that at some point in our life we are all going to have to jump through at least some hoops in order to gain benefits. If doing one or two EC activities that you wouldn't normally do is going to increase your chances of getting a job substantially then they have got to be worth it. There's nothing to stop you from doing other activities any way.

I don't understand why you think that people all have to do the same things as each other in order to "tick the boxes". Things such as demonstrating a position of responsibility can be done in all manner of ways. I'm sure there is scope for variety while still satisfying the needs and wants of employers.
DanBan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TommehR)
I think that at some point in our life we are all going to have to jump through at least some hoops in order to gain benefits. If doing one or two EC activities that you wouldn't normally do is going to increase your chances of getting a job substantially then they have got to be worth it. There's nothing to stop you from doing other activities any way.

I don't understand why you think that people all have to do the same things as each other in order to "tick the boxes". Things such as demonstrating a position of responsibility can be done in all manner of ways. I'm sure there is scope for variety while still satisfying the needs and wants of employers.
^ AGREED!!!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DanBan)
o for goodness sakes, ur a little bit dramatic don't you think?!! people do not "lose sight of life" by doing a few, possibly tedious, EC's for their CV, come on now!!!

When I constantly see threads saying "which university has best rep?", "which A-Level subjects should I do?", "which ECs should I do?" no I don't think I'm being dramatic. Either people are sacrificing enjoyment of life for a perceived better CV or there are a lot of people on here who are just plain indecisive.
DanBan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I constantly see threads saying "which university has best rep?", "which A-Level subjects should I do?", "which ECs should I do?" no I don't think I'm being dramatic. Either people are sacrificing enjoyment of life for a perceived better CV or there are a lot of people on here who are just plain indecisive.
you can pick the uni with the best rep out of all ur offers and still enjoy life...making sound academic decisions is not synonomous with lack enjoyment of life!!! And for some people,in fact for most people, going to a uni with a good rep and creating a strong cv does actually give them enjoyment as it will lead them down a path to success in life, and who doesn't want a successful career and a comfortable life?! it is still possible to do these "unfulfilling" things and actually have a great social life, full of enjoyment, outside of academic life.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In which case surely they would be chosing ECs they enjoy, which is precisely what I have been advocating.
DanBan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In which case surely they would be chosing ECs they enjoy, which is precisely what I have been advocating.
NOO! you are missing my point! grrr! people will choose the EC's that are appropriate and contribute to a strong cv, even if they find them tedious (but it is important to note that some ppl may find these so -called tedious EC's enjoyable) as its all a means to an end. enjoyment will come from the EC activities that you would never put on ur cv....clubbing or whatever someone likes to do for fun, but would not put on their CV. the few EC activities that u put on ur cv are only one aspect of uni life, so ppl will certainly NOT have to sacrifice enjoyment of life for ticking a few boxes!
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Would you do voluntary work you didn't enjoy merely because it looks good on your CV?
DanBan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Would you do voluntary work you didn't enjoy merely because it looks good on your CV?
YES! if its helping the community and its contributing to my cv then i would bloody do it even if i hated it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (89)
49.44%
No (91)
50.56%

Watched Threads