Turn on thread page Beta

Marriage, what do you think? watch

ReputationRep:
    marriage isnt necessary anymore.. you won't be frowned upon for not gettng married.. if you want more security in your relationship (whether it be for financial reasons, kids etc. blah blah blah) then wouldn't a civil partnership just do the same??

I don't even know what i want.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, I saw that progamme. The 64 year old and 17 year old was basically vomit inducing. They were trying for a baby aswell :eek: And the christian teen couple were clearly destined for failure.

I'd love to get married. I have found the person and it would be fabulous to have him as my husband in a few years. I'm not old fashioned or religious but I just like the idea of marriage. I'd like to be married by the time I'm about 24. Oooh and I want it abroad

ReputationRep:
    I have no intentions of getting married. I know plenty of people who have been together years, even having kids together and still not seen the need to get married.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think I'd be married by about 26 but as I'm 24 now and he is nowhere to be found in the remotest horizon I'd say I'll be well beyond 26 if it ever happens. Also now I'm older I'm not even sure I want to get married, if you're together and happy like that why confirm it with a piece of paper? (plus splitting is way messier if you're hitched).

ReputationRep:
    I would very much lke to get married. I also think that it is a life-long commitment and if you do get married you must try very hard to keep your marriage working. Strangely I have never thought of a wedding, like where it would be etc (I'm a girl). It's the commitment that counts, not just the day. Aga-wise? Right after I graduate, before 24 (hopefully). Kids before 30, given I'm married! And no, no sex before marriage.

ReputationRep:
    What I find bizarre is that my mum met my dad at 18, he proposed three months later and they were married when my mum was 20, my dad 24. Blimmin' heck! (They're celebrating their 25th anniversary this September awwww )

I'm 18, almost 19, and the thought of getting married anytime soon is really far away - I'm moving to Bristol for Uni in October and the thought of having to maintain a HUGE, lifetime committment like marriage whilst I'm trying to concentrate on academic work is terrifying!

ReputationRep:
    Ideally I want to get married at about 26 and start having kids at 28. All this after having thoroughly explored all the wondrous types of loving first... only then will I 'settle down'.

ReputationRep:
    Sod that. My parents say its a life sentence..!

ReputationRep:
    No idea when I want to get married... Truthfully I don't want to get married... ever.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was married at my age, thats ****ing scary.

I'll get married when I meet the right person, not really bothered about what age that is.

ReputationRep:
    I was 23 when I got married, ten years and two kids later we are still as happy as when we met!!!.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 16 I wanted to be married by the time I was 26. This is very unlikley to happen due to me now going to university at 23 to become a nurse and currently single.

Before I get married I want to qualify as I nurse, get a couple years experience, move to america or australia and live over there. They at some point I would consider getting married. Id say hopefully in about 10 years I would like to be married (33).

I know people who are my age getting married and I dont think I could give that level of commitment to someone. Its ok for some, just not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    I used to think I'd be married by about 26 but as I'm 24 now and he is nowhere to be found in the remotest horizon I'd say I'll be well beyond 26 if it ever happens. Also now I'm older I'm not even sure I want to get married, if you're together and happy like that why confirm it with a piece of paper? (plus splitting is way messier if you're hitched).

a bit of paper ? wheres your romance : )

I want a bit of paper to say that I own someone... and that she will look after my kids... lol

I semi think that marriage should be a short renewable contract... then on the 3rd renewal its permenant.

so you have to hold up all your duties etc etc... Plus, It might make people take more notice/care of their partners if the marriage is renewable every 4years : )

ReputationRep:
    Marraige? Not for a looong time yet! I'm far too young.

ReputationRep:
    id marry my boyfriend.
    when i do get married it will prob be early/mid 20s i think.
    theres nothing wrong with marriage as long as you both love eachother and stuff.

that 64 yr old marrying that 17 yr old is abit weird.
    maybe hes rich and shes waiting for him to die haha :rolleyes: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

a bit of paper ? wheres your romance : )

I want a bit of paper to say that I own someone... and that she will look after my kids... lol

I semi think that marriage should be a short renewable contract... then on the 3rd renewal its permenant.

so you have to hold up all your duties etc etc... Plus, It might make people take more notice/care of their partners if the marriage is renewable every 4years : )
    Disappeared after you cheated on me :eek:

As for that young girl who married the allegedly rich old fella...I'd rather be poor :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Disappeared after you cheated on me :eek:

As for that young girl who married the allegedly rich old fella...I'd rather be poor :cool:

I'd marry an old rich bird for her money... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think our 11 month age difference makes me old....or rich :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to being happily married one day. But I only want to do it once so I'd have to be completely sure. I don't want children before marriage and think buying ahouse would be a hell of a lot easier as a twosome. Coming up to graduation myself, it's all becoming a bit more of a prospect (than, say, two years ago) which is quite a bizarre feeling.

I think I'll be hanging on for a while yet.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get married if I meet the right person. I wouldn't want to get married just for the sake of getting married and because I might think: oh well, better this guy or none, I'm not getting any younger...
    there really are people who get married because of thoughts like that, but it's bound to go wrong at some point then. also if you don't think of marriage as a life time commitment (hey, I can just get a deviorce if I don't like them next year!), then the marriage is likely to fail too in my opinion.
    I would only do it after careful consideration, but well, of course I would like to meet my own mr. right and get married and be happy with him.

I'd like to get married, not because of anything religious, I am not religious. but because when you get married you are promising each other that it will last for ever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.