Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone recommend me some Singer-Songwriters? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    I like stuff like, Tom Mcrae, Ed Hardcourt, David Ford, Joseph Arthur, Bright Eyes, Elliott Smith, Feist, Joanna Newom, Iron and Wine, Josh Rouse, Nick Drake, sufjan stevens, jose gonzalez.

This weekend I feel like buying a few cd's and so any ideas of what I might like?
    Jesse Malin

If you like Ryan Adams, Jesse's better. Superb.

Of all time artists, can't go wrong with Springsteen. A legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    I like stuff like, Tom Mcrae, Ed Hardcourt, David Ford, Joseph Arthur, Bright Eyes, Elliott Smith, Feist, Joanna Newom, Iron and Wine, Josh Rouse, Nick Drake, sufjan stevens, jose gonzalez.
    Seriously, if you like them you will love Hayden. I guarantee it

ReputationRep:
    rocky votolato is ace, check his new album out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    She sounds like such a miserable arrogant *****.
    I'd go for Aimee Mann (there's a suggestion for you KidA) when it comes to miserable female singers.
    Bachelor No. 1 is a pretty good album and quite a few of the songs on there were included on the Magnolia soundtrack.
    True (if only for 'One'); but 'Never Is A Promise' and 'Parting Gift' by the former are both worthy of anyone's time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Jesse Malin

If you like Ryan Adams, Jesse's better. Superb.

Of all time artists, can't go wrong with Springsteen. A legend.

NO WAY!

you're seriously saying jesse malin is better?

the crazy thing is that when i say that ryan adams has recorded 10 albums that are all better than anything jesse malin has ever done, im not exagerrating. i can list them if you like

the suicide handbook
    heartbreaker
    gold
    48 hours
    cold roses
    jacksonville city nights
    love is hell
    destroyer
    swedish sessions

and thats me being selective too. hes got other albums id still probably pick over jesse malin.

and thats before we even mention whiskeytown albums, or the fact that ryan is utterly perfect live...

(Original post by sea tea)
    rocky votolato is ace, check his new album out.
    agreed. suicide medicine is better though... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heliotrope)
    NO WAY!

you're seriously saying jesse malin is better?

the crazy thing is that when i say that ryan adams has recorded 10 albums that are all better than anything jesse malin has ever done, im not exagerrating. i can list them if you like

the suicide handbook
    heartbreaker
    gold
    48 hours
    cold roses
    jacksonville city nights
    love is hell
    destroyer
    swedish sessions

and thats me being selective too. hes got other albums id still probably pick over jesse malin.

and thats before we even mention whiskeytown albums, or the fact that ryan is utterly perfect live...
    Jesse Malin rules live. And btw of those albums I've missed a few recently, 'cos I think he's gone downhill frankly. He went from writing these straightforward, brilliant tunes, to all this overly slow, pretentious stuff. He makes great songs, but I can't honestly say everyone of those albums is better than the fine art of self destruction or the heat.

ReputationRep:
    i can list them if you like

the suicide handbook

48 hours

jacksonville city nights

destroyer

:
    Haven't heard those...or at least only breifly.

I have-Love is hell 1/2
    Gold
    Heartbreaker
    Swedish sessions
    Demolition
    Cold Roses

And various others.....

For me, he's one of those artists, you love to start with, then get slightly bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)

This weekend I feel like buying a few cd's and so any ideas of what I might like?
    RICHARD THOMPSON!!!!! You'd love him, immaculate songwriter and guitarist. A lot won't agree but i say start with You? Me? Us?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard those...or at least only breifly.

I have-Love is hell 1/2
    Gold
    Heartbreaker
    Swedish sessions
    Demolition
    Cold Roses

And various others.....

For me, he's one of those artists, you love to start with, then get slightly bored
    the ones you havent heard of are (with the exception of 29 and JCN) unreleased albums; the suicide handbook, pinkhearts, 48 hours and one of the others, i forget which were going to be released as a box set, but they ended up being raided for demolition instead... theyre such good albums though, theyre widelt available on the internet, id really recommend, theyre probably actually my favourite albums of his.

as for me, ive not gone off him yet, and cant see myself doing so; theres just so much variety and range to his music, and he is just insanely talented...

ReputationRep:
    Willy Porter http://www.willyporter.com

ReputationRep:
    the ones you havent heard of are (with the exception of 29 and JCN) unreleased albums; the suicide handbook, pinkhearts, 48 hours and one of the others, i forget which were going to be released as a box set, but they ended up being raided for demolition instead... theyre such good albums though, theyre widelt available on the internet, id really recommend, theyre probably actually my favourite albums of his.

as for me, ive not gone off him yet, and cant see myself doing so; theres just so much variety and range to his music, and he is just insanely talented...
    I heard this amazing song, '(oh) Angelina' on his website a while back, but I can't find it on any album--any idea where to get it?

ReputationRep:
    I heard this amazing song, '(oh) Angelina' on his website a while back, but I can't find it on any album--any idea where to get it?
    yeah, its on 48 hours... i would direct you to an ftp, but the ryan adams ftps i know of are down at the moment, you can probably find it on p2p programs, or if you're really desperate i'll do a yousendit...

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its on 48 hours... i would direct you to an ftp, but the ryan adams ftps i know of are down at the moment, you can probably find it on p2p programs, or if you're really desperate i'll do a yousendit...
    That'd be good...what is a 'yousendit' though?

ReputationRep:
    ^www.yousendit.com

i'll get on the task later.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers...actually, where I get email, it wont play mp3s...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=75JXQOEM

you can download it anywhere.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.