Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are love letters cheesy or romantic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    My boyfriend once stuck a post-it telling me he loved me and to keep working hard halfway through a nasty, difficult chapter in a textbook I had to read... it was pretty sweet

I'm not sure if that counts as a love letter though! :p:
    I get that a lot from my partner, he snuck in a post-it note in my suitcase when I went on a family holiday, it was such a treat to read it. I also do the same but prefer drawing funky comics about him or his life, he loves it.

I think letters are awesome, make sure they're genuine though and full of doodles.

ReputationRep:
    oh those crazy angles...

ReputationRep:
    My ex used to write me letters, but they were cute and full of doodles and random cartoony characters as well as what she'd written. It was quite cute and I liked it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    I get that a lot from my partner, he snuck in a post-it note in my suitcase when I went on a family holiday, it was such a treat to read it. I also do the same but prefer drawing funky comics about him or his life, he loves it.

I think letters are awesome, make sure they're genuine though and full of doodles.
    I like them too
    But not necessarily full letters, just any actual handwritten communication is special, seeing as everything is electrical now, email, texts etc. My boyfriend sends me postcards when he works away, and finds the most random reasons to send me little cards. I think its' lovely..

ReputationRep:
    i think they're sweet if they're not too soppy. The christmas before last i was in america and my bf gave me letters to open on christmas day and new year day and they were really sweet (and definitely more romantic than the emails he sent me in the early hours of new year that made no sense at all)

however... i did get a poem for valentine's last year and that was a bit too gushy... but maybe good poetry would work?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Depends.

I used to swap letters with my ex, but they weren't particulary traditional love letters, more like a page or two of thoughts and conversational stuff. It helped as he wasnt overly amazing about talking about his deeper feelings out loud, especially earlier in our relationship, so it worked out well that he could just write them down. I know I didn't re-read/edit them as such, so it wasn't carefully composed and over-done. It's nice to look back at them, too.

I guess it also helps if they're not on heart-embossed pink paper with vast amounts of perfume sprayed on :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humra)
    Definately Cheesy! :puke:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    My boyfriend sends me postcards when he works away, and finds the most random reasons to send me little cards. I think its' lovely..
    Exactly they don't have to be cheesy, random reasons are just as good. And usually the less soppy they are the more genuine, by way of not having to cover your thoughts with love/dear/darling/pink love hearts....plus it tends to show you have nothing else to say. Cheese is definitely not cool.

*snigger* I once wrote a post-it saying ewww that stinks! and left it on the loo-roll when I went out, knowing my boyfriend would stink the place out with man-poo. ...... :p:

ReputationRep:
    of course its cheesy and cliche but people like writing them and like receiving them and often people are able to write down what they feel better than saying it as they have time to consider what they write and how they write it.

ReputationRep:
    oh, i love all the letters my boyfriend sent me at the begining of our relationship. he doesn't write them as much now, but neither do i. it makes me feel special when i receive something like that, and my tom likes to receive them too.. so i don't mind writing them. i don't think they are cheesy at all, just very, very romantic..
    'i miss you and i need you

please never leave me or i just won't be me anymore.

you're the most important thing in my entire life and i know what people
    mean when they say that someone completes them, because thats what you do
    to me.

i'm serious though, miss you bad and can't wait to see you soon my clare'

thats the kind of stuff i'm used to :P i don't think it is cheesy in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    Am I really weird and cynical to find love letters/poems/songs really chiche, cheesy and uncomfortable because I know a lot of people think that they're really romantic!? Opinions?

Anyone ever recieved or written one of these to a love interest and did it work?
    Yeah i agree, they are pretty cheesy. Its like going to your gf's door when you have forgotten her birthday with a rose between your butt cheeks. It only happens in the movies..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Well, if I recieved one I would really like it! I think it would be a really lovely thing to do
    yeah i agree.
    i see nothing wrong with it and id love one *ahem*

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend sometimes sends me totally romantic texts, more romantic than anything I could ever think of in a year, and it melts me SO much to see his soul expressed like that! :love: There's nothing wrong with being romantic so long as you don't overdo it, so that it is valuable each time.

ReputationRep:
    I find that when you write them, it's not so much the content that matters. Within a relationship, you can express your feelings in so many ways and just writing a love letter is more just a romantic thing to do like cooking dinner for a girlfriend. Writing a letter when you're with them is less of a necessity if you want to tell them how you feel.

It's when you can't speak to them because they're far away or simply because you're not with them that you might feel the need to write a letter and in my experience, it's rarely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    Am I really weird and cynical to find love letters/poems/songs really chiche, cheesy and uncomfortable because I know a lot of people think that they're really romantic!? Opinions?

Anyone ever recieved or written one of these to a love interest and did it work?
    My exboyfriend was the cheesiest OTT guy ever....he was just so full on and sent me all these soppy emails, letters, e-cards the lot....at first it was sweet...but they soon were WAYYY too much..
    I found one the other day...and sorry to be mean but it did practically make me feel queasy..
    I cant even begin to describe the headache provoking stuff that went into them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclear_pavlova)
    My exboyfriend was the cheesiest OTT guy ever....he was just so full on and sent me all these soppy emails, letters, e-cards the lot....at first it was sweet...but they soon were WAYYY too much..
    I found one the other day...and sorry to be mean but it did practically make me feel queasy..
    I cant even begin to describe the headache provoking stuff that went into them....
    This is the reason why I'll always be careful about sending love letters now. I'd say most girls don't like them, unless it's in specific circumstances where they're not really "needed" and it's just a nice, cute gesture...

I'm almost wary of girls who claim to be romantic... they rarely are.

ReputationRep:
    depends what they write; if they babble on about how i look like the sun when its setting or like some flower, then id say "what a load of bullsh*t"! but if its genuine and not sounding pretentious, then it might be romantic. depends on the guy writing it and the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra)
    depends what they write; if they babble on about how i look like the sun when its setting or like some flower, then id say "what a load of bullsh*t"! but if its genuine and not sounding pretentious, then it might be romantic. depends on the guy writing it and the content
    Indeed... poetical stuff isn't for everyone.

I used to think that quite a lot of girls liked romantic gestures ... but clearly not many. Also, some people can say they're romantic but only for the superficial side of it, for the "show" and only if they feel like it. Claiming to be romantic and being sensitive/emotional usually are very different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xgracesx)
    Yeh my boyfriend does this all the time and I love it. He always leaves me post it notes in my cd player or in a book so that on my way home from his I'll find it. I think it depends on your type of relationship as to whether its romantic or cheesy, cos my friend saw one of the notes he wrote me and she thought it was very cheesy but all it said was, 'Miss you already I love you ' which I just thought was cute and special.

I have had a proper love letter though despite these little ones and that was very special cos it was a one off if you know what I mean so it was nice.
    oh well looks like there are some girls who appreciate that stuff. THat's reassuring. Maybe I just go for coldhearted *****es.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretty Boy)
    I agree with SamTheMan in this thread.

Perceptive.
    You shouldn't agree with me. You can only agree when you're old and bitter like me. :p: Just kidding.

I've just grown wary of the whole "I'm just a romantic girl who wants to be loved" act. As a guy (and as a fool), you sometimes think that that means that the girl is sweet and sensitive and overall a very decent girl... when that doesn't have to be the case at all. She can actually be the complete opposite very often.

Sorry for the cliché but it's like the russian brides who claim to be very romantic when asking for a 40+ year old guy who earns at least 100k.

And no, I haven't been looking into getting a russian bride off the internet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.