Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Toucan broadbnd is poison watch

ReputationRep:
    No, you just use your BT line and current number. You also get a Netgear DG834GT router for free with it. [EDIT] which is a very decent router indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Currently on ZEN but gonna have to move coz it is getting too expensive to purchase an extra GB for 1quid everytime.

Zen are pretty solid tho - but not the cheapest - but worth paying 20odd quid or whatever for a 2mb service.

Prob move to BE or BT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Sky, and I actually do have 16meg.
    I'm considering moving to sky but have read a lot of bad reviews at:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-feedback/

Still there are about twice as many good reviews as bad ones and obviously people who have had a bad experience are more likely to search out a site where they can complain. However I'd still be interested to hear how your experience has been with them.

ReputationRep:
    Sky are a company I would avoid for ADSL no matter how good their prices because of their rep. Get a major problem and you could be without internet acccess for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Sky are a company I would avoid for ADSL no matter how good their prices because of their rep. Get a major problem and you could be without internet acccess for ages.
    But to be fair... there's not much that can go wrong with it, if you know what you're doing - hence why I'm as happy as a pig in its own excrement.

ReputationRep:
    i have Tiscali (woo) and it's actually really decent, most of the time. have the occasional hiccup, but with 8 meg for £18 and free weekend calls, I'm not complaining - their service is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I got Be*,Be Un Limited or Bethere what ever they call themselves. Thanks to the promos and refer a friend things they used to have in the beginning. I saved a lot of money joining them. They give you a maximum speed of 24 megs. But off course it only depends on where you live. I know i guy who has about 22 mega while i am stick with with a tiny 3 meg. But still i was surprised when i was downloading my speed reached 970 kB/s and then went to 1.02 megabytes per second and stayed there for a while before going down. In the middle of me downloading so it wasn't Firefox cheating.

ReputationRep:
    You must be getting more than 3Mb with those download speeds. It would be more like 9Mb. That's pretty good really.

One of the problems with NTL/Telewest (or as it will soon be known, Virgin media according to a letter I got today) is that it's a bit more expensive to get the higher speeds. But still, I'd take truly unlimited downloads over extra speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    i have Tiscali (woo) and it's actually really decent, most of the time. have the occasional hiccup, but with 8 meg for £18 and free weekend calls, I'm not complaining - their service is excellent.
    Tiscali!!! I presume you haven't had to contact customer service? You must be the only person I know who can actually recommend them.

I'm with PlusNet (who have just been bought by BT, but (for the time being at least) are going to stay as plusnet and operate as they were). I pay £19.99 per month for 15GB of data transfer + free evening and weekend VOIP calls, they also give you 250mb of webspace and CGI / PHP webspace. They are based in Sheffield and support is in house and generally very good, but has had a bad time lately which they are now getting over. Currently "there are 0 calls waiting, with the longest wait being 00:00:00 and the average answer time being 00:01:05". They have a team of staff dedicated to engaging customers in forums and communicating service problems etc as well as gathering feedback. There's also a great community of users, in their own forums, the usergroup, and plusnetters who are always happy to help.

Suffice to say I'm very happy with them

ReputationRep:
    f2s.net is the ****. I gt 20 gig a month download, with unlimited between 1am and 6am (which is when I am awake anyway...)

Best thing is the minimum contract is 3 months, not 12 months like most others.

ReputationRep:
    What, you can't swear? Damn this board is for children...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue!)
    f2s.net is the ****. I gt 20 gig a month download, with unlimited between 1am and 6am (which is when I am awake anyway...)

Best thing is the minimum contract is 3 months, not 12 months like most others.
    Personally I wouldn't go with an ISP with any longer than a 1 month contract...

ReputationRep:
    The minimum is 3 months, you can obviously break it, but you'll waive the £50 fee. Most isps that I would consider going with have 12 month contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue!)
    What, you can't swear? Damn this board is for children...
    The STUDENT room? Duh. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    The STUDENT room? Duh. :rolleyes:
    Didn't realise it was filled with minors. Bearing in mind I don't consider people pre-uni students. I don't what I'd call them, but not students. Meh

f2s.net = good isp (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I have been with BT for about 10 years and I have never had a problem with them. Their lines are completely reliable (unlike some other companies) and I get good download speeds all of the time.

Although they can be fairly pricey (I am on 6MB home hub and that is £27.99 a month), they are worth it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I have been with BT for about 10 years and I have never had a problem with them. Their lines are completely reliable (unlike some other companies) and I get good download speeds all of the time.

Although they can be fairly pricey (I am on 6MB home hub and that is £27.99 a month), they are worth it.
    I thought it was 8MB. Did you lie to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I thought it was 8MB. Did you lie to me?
    nope, I always said it was 6MB if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 8mb BT, i've been with them since they first released 512k in my area, they've upgraded me to 1mb, 2mb, 4mb then 6mb and there has never been a problem, when we asked to leave to another company they offered us a free BT homehub and phone, plus an upgrade to 8mb with the same we were paying as before.

Lovely Stuff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 29, 2007
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.