Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Israel joining NATO? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I think that NATO is going to regain relevance in the years to come, at least between the EU3 and the USA. The Iraq war was a blip, In light of the iranian situation, these two groups are going to work closely together. Bush has realized that unilateral action is not good for his reputation, and the NATO links may be called on once again. If Israel is included, it would serve to re-enforce dramatically the relevance of the alliance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)

Canadians and Americans came to Europe thousands of years ago, did well in Europe, developed in Europe, created lots in Europe then went to do that somewhere else.
    What?:confused: I dont think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuth)
    Actually, I think that NATO is going to regain relevance in the years to come, at least between the EU3 and the USA. The Iraq war was a blip, In light of the iranian situation, these two groups are going to work closely together. Bush has realized that unilateral action is not good for his reputation, and the NATO links may be called on once again. If Israel is included, it would serve to re-enforce dramatically the relevance of the alliance.
    Given the European statements about the American threat of a military intervention in Iraq, the alliance is far from being in good shape. And once again, of what military use is an alliance where all but three members have absolutely no military strength to speak of, and two of them are seeing a drastic decline in the quality and quantity of their militaries?

ReputationRep:
    Who are the three members you mention?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuth)
    US, Britain, and France (though France technically isn't part of the military wing of NATO), and the latter two have sharply cut military spending in the last decade or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuth)
    I'm not sure but I would hazard a guess that in all of NATO only the US, UK and France have substantial militaries as far as I can see. The US obviously has by far the largest and the UK's, whilst fairly small is probably the most elite and well trained.

As for what use the Alliance is, as far as I can see, it enables the US to officially claim a sphere of influence in a country and post troops there: hence Russia'a concern with the Baltics states joining and now the prospect of Ukraine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    Furthermore it has demonstrated a willingness to help us out in the past when it would have been politically damaging for us to do anything. I'm thinking of course, about the well timed bombing of the Osirak nuclear reactor in Iraq.
    That attack garnered utter condemnation from the whole world (including Europe - much of the expertise and resources were French) and the Security Council (US INCLUDED) passed a resolution condemning Israel for it. At the time it was quite clear that there was no US or European approval tacit or otherwise. Only about 10 years later when Iraq invaded Kuwait did the world wake up and realise that it was a bloody good thing that Israel had stopped the Iraqi nuclear program dead in its tracks. From that you could only conclude that Israel knows European strategic interests better than Europe does, so hell yes it should be in NATO.

ReputationRep:
    Israel. North Atlantic. Er... to me, that's like Australia joining the EU - never mind the nature of the country, the geography is totally wrong. You COULD argue that Israel has North Atlantic coast, if you scratch the word "Mediterranean" out of your dictionary, but that's a pretty ridiculous claim to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Israel. North Atlantic. Er... to me, that's like Australia joining the EU - never mind the nature of the country, the geography is totally wrong. You COULD argue that Israel has North Atlantic coast, if you scratch the word "Mediterranean" out of your dictionary, but that's a pretty ridiculous claim to make.
    Israel are trying to get in the EU too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    So why are Greece and Turkey in NATO?

ReputationRep:
    The Jews only left Europe recently due to the horrors of the Holocaust, and the fact that they had an official homeland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuth)
    OK, it dosent look like they will in the immediate future, but to me this seems like a sensible move in light of the escalating tensions in the middle east. What are your opinions?

From Wall Street Journal -
    http://online.wsj.com/public/article...f_main_tff_top
    Sounds a rotten idea to me. I don't like the sound of Israel influencing NATO one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Sounds a rotten idea to me. I don't like the sound of Israel influencing NATO one bit.
    Because clearly Israel has more power than the current 26 members combined...

ReputationRep:
    Israel is in Eurovision so I see no reason why it shouldn't join NATO.

I'd love people to expand on this so called threat from Iran though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person)
    Israel is in Eurovision so I see no reason why it shouldn't join NATO.
    I hear SHAPE are making that the new entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    So why are Greece and Turkey in NATO?
    No idea. Hey, I don't make the rules - if it was down to me they wouldn't be, either. Basic Geography again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    The Jews only left Europe recently due to the horrors of the Holocaust, and the fact that they had an official homeland.
    Are you arguing that the Israelis are European "in spirit", or something?

ReputationRep:
    Well, in terms of liberal democratic principles, the system of government, rule of law etc., Israel is the same as a Western European democracy. Thus you could say the country itself is 'European in spirit'. As for Israelis themselves, well it really depends what you define as "European in spirit". Israelis are not much like the reserved English, but are fairly comparable to Italians in terms of manner and temper (and driving), that sort of Meditteranean outlook, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe they should join/found a "Mediterranean Treaty Organisation", then!

ReputationRep:
    With who? North Africa is Arab (not traditional Israeli allies) and Southern Europe is already all NATO!
    Israel would be a valuable NATO ally, their intelligence gathering is second-to-none, they've even infiltrated Al-Qaeda in Iraq. They keep close tabs on what the rest of the Middle East and Arabs are up to, again with intelligence resources (especially human) that are superior to most Western powers. They also have a substantial and very capable (and unlike many countries - properly battle-tested) military force and arguably the best airforce in the world. They're obviously pro-Western in views - not just the government, but the general population too. They're allies with other countries that share values with NATO, such as Australia and India. There's not much reason to keep Israel out of NATO.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.